• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth RetailWorkhorse View Post
    I haz rain I haz rain I haz rain.

*Dances in the rain*

*Is drenched*

.....I'm WET! I don't like being wet! MOMMY! THE SKY PEED ON ME!

Great, now I'm gonna smell like wet dog. Just what I needed. Someone pass a towel.
    The sky was peeing here about midnight. Took me a little bit to figure out what that noise was.

Would you like a....sparkly towel?

Quoth greek_jester View Post
    Actually, so long as they're not raging across 30 square miles of forest, that's the not a bad way to deal with them. Fire is a natural part of a forest's life cycle - in fact, some trees (certain breeds of pine, IIRC) need fire to open up the cones so the seeds can escape. The fire clears room so that the seedlings get enough sun to survive. Smothering every spark that appears can end up being more of a hindrance than a help to a forest's ecosystem.
    They forest service does do that with lightning started fires. Not the Cerro Grande though, that was a not very controlled burn.

In fact, most of our fires this year have been human started. >.<
    It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Actually, so long as they're not raging across 30 square miles of forest, that's the not a bad way to deal with them. Fire is a natural part of a forest's life cycle - in fact, some trees (certain breeds of pine, IIRC) need fire to open up the cones so the seeds can escape. The fire clears room so that the seedlings get enough sun to survive. Smothering every spark that appears can end up being more of a hindrance than a help to a forest's ecosystem.
      Around here they tend to let portions of a forest burn, never just let it burn uncontrolled. Granted, my best knowledge of fire control is from provincial parks, and there isn't really such a thing as a safe direction in semi-Southern Ontario. They used to try to extinguish every fire, as soon as it started back in the fifties and sixties. It only took a couple of firestorms to convince them to do otherwise. (Note that these are in logged areas, where until fairly recently they used to square the logs in the bush).

Comment

Actually, so long as they're not raging across 30 square miles of forest...
        That's the problem, the Russian fires are HUGE.

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
          That's the problem, the Russian fires are HUGE.
          I saw an article about this in the local (US) paper. The way the heading phrased it made it sound like Russians were just wanton killing people.
          Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
            The sky was peeing here about midnight. Took me a little bit to figure out what that noise was.

Would you like a....sparkly towel?
            ...how the hell did you manage to put glitter on a towel?

....is it a pink glittery towel or a green one? Because I'm all pruny and really need to dry off (had a downpour while at work today, the parking lot flooded).
            Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

....is it a pink glittery towel or a green one? Because I'm all pruny and really need to dry off (had a downpour while at work today, the parking lot flooded).
              Here's one with silver and gold glitter.

Comment

...how the hell did you manage to put glitter on a towel?
                I have my ways....

It rained down there yesterday? We didn't even have anything here that looked promising.

Lessee. I gots pink (he he)....ah, here we go. Yeah, I have a green one. I've got purple, too, but that's mine.
                It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Working...
                X