This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fucking crank callers

When will they develop the technology that would allow us to strangle people through the phone?
    What if Humans are just Dire Halflings?

Use the force you must. Serve you well it will.
    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Here in the US *69 can sometimes be your friend unless you have a PBX system.
      I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
      -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

I think even with PBX you can get details of who called if you call it from the PBX system itself. Somewhere there's a direct connection to the outside world, and while I don't know much about PBX systems, I imagine they have some ability to run diagnostics or make a direct call. Most modern PBX systems have Caller ID support, too.

In my childhood years (10-ish) my friend coaxed me into prank calling. We stopped after one of them called back and bluffed that they were going to get the FBI involved if we continued. It worked for us, since we were so young. Hopefully you aren't dealing with immature adults who might call your bluff.
        Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
        Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
        Fiancee: What?!
        Me: Nevermind.

Comment

I don't like crank callers but I don't understand how fucking them would help. :-)

As for *69, well... Lol
          "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Quoth Parrothead View Post
            When will they develop the technology that would allow us to strangle people through the phone?
            I've been wanting that for YEARS *sigh*

I did manage to pwn one bratty kid once. The kid was dumb enough to give her phone number on one of the many, many voicemail messages she left on our after-hours line. So I called back, got Mom, and explained about the numerous calls she was going to end up paying for (this was some years ago and it was a landline).

She told me, "She's at school now, but wait til she gets home..."
            I said, "Yeah, I made some prank calls once as a kid, until my parents found out."
            Mom: "Then you know what's going to happen, don't you? "
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I have been dreaming about technology that does that for years!!

Some people just have way too much time and too few brain cells

Comment

During school holiday and summer breaks we get a flurry of 8 - 14 year olds who THINK making prank calls to my pizza place is just so much fun.

The thing is is IF I can get to the incoming line (we have 2 sets one is 5 lines and the other is 2 lines) I can do a *69 and get the last number that called in.

We have caught a few pranksters this way.

The problem these days is that the internet makes things so much easier AND the national corp. web site that feeds all stores with internet ordering does NOT track IP addresses only user names and maybe e-mail addys (some of the smaller indies and regional chains DO track IP addresses and say so EXPLICTLY on their sites to prevent such pranking).
                I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

I take it this is who comes over to visit the prank callers you catch?

https://youtu.be/4qQFF3YQ-1k?t=54s

Comment

one way to end a prank call.

http://notalwaysright.com/how-to-neu...ank-call/44151
                    http://dragcave.net/image/utXO.gif

Comment

I like having Boris answer the prank call.
                      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                        I like having Boris answer the prank call.
                        "You're married and your name's not Boris!"
                        "Boris is name of accent. Have life of its own."
                        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

It's really weird timing, I just got a prank voice mail! Said something about how my car had been reported to have been speeding, and then it went off the deep end about coming to my house, stealing my stuff, and punching me in the face. At this point the caller starts laughing, announces that it's a prank (duh) and hangs up. This is probably the first prank message I've ever gotten, and it pretty much made me laugh.

Oh, the number came in as restricted.
                          Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

"Yes, I did locate a Micheal Hunt. He's sharing a reservation with I.P. Freely. Anything else I can do for you?"
                            "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Quoth WishfulSpirit View Post
                              "Yes, I did locate a Micheal Hunt. He's sharing a reservation with I.P. Freely. Anything else I can do for you?"
                              Heh. I actually saw (well, heard) someone fall for that particular one. :-)

When I used to work in a movie theater (Studio 28, Wyoming, MI--sadly gone), each permanent station had a phone. I had a mid-week day shift in concessions, we were slow as hell, and we'd already cleaned nearly everything twice, done inventory pre-counts for the registers that weren't going to be open that evening, and so on. So we're bored. One of my co-workers, R, who was a little more bored than the rest of us, called the other big concession stand, and talked to another co-worker, G. Part way through, R put it on speakerphone so the rest of us could enjoy the show (so to speak).

G (over the phone, obviously talking to customers): "Is there a Michael Hunt here?"
                              R: "No, no, his name is Mike."
                              G: "Is Mike Hunt here?" [long pause] [phone goes dead]

To get to the breakroom you had to go past the concession stand I was at, so sure enough, an hour or so later here comes G for her break. I seem to recall she vowed revenge--don't know if she ever got it, though.
                              "I often look at every second idiot and think, 'He needs more power.'" --Varric Tethras, Dragon Age II

Comment

Working...
                              X