Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You want me to overdraw somebody's account?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You want me to overdraw somebody's account?

How stupid do you think i am? I had this girl who would always cash her check signed by her parents. When I told her I can't cash it, she asks me to cash it anyway cause its HER check although its not her account! I kept telling her that its not her check and I WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR OVERDRAWING SOMEBODY'S ELSE'S ACCOUNT AND HAVING THEM CALL MY TELLER MANAGER and have her COMPLAINING ABOUT ME CASHING IT AND OVERDRAWING THIER ACCOUNT! Sorry about that. I have had too many checks returned because I never follow my own instincts and listen to the damn customer. You know what her defense was? That the check was made payable to her so its HER check and that I should just let the check go through. How would she like it if I cashed a check that she had given to somebody and i overdraw her account?
    I swear, stupidity comes in all ages.

In this day of credit & debit cards, using checks is fast becoming obsolete.

Comment

That's a tough one. I'll have to put my foot in her shoe for a second...

Someone writes me a check.
      Someone refuses to cash it.

So far, it sucks to be me.

As I see it from this perspective, you and I have some amount of personal relationship on a scale of 1 to 10.

1 being "I recognize your face but I don't know your name" and
      10 being "I'm familiar with every orifice you posses".

I'm pretty sure that anything below, say, 3 should be a matter left to the account holder and the bank. After that it gets a little complicated.

If one(1) finds him/herself on the side of the road with a mechanical problem and I happen to stop, fix them up and send them on their way, I may accept a check to ease their embarrassment surrounding the situation.

I might have some issues if a teller refused to cash said check.

Then again, it would depend on circumstances. I would engage in a question-and-answer session until I knew what was going on.

Ok, I'm taking that shoe off now. It's making me say "you know, like..."

Best of luck.

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
        In this day of credit & debit cards, using checks is fast becoming obsolete.
        Perfect example!

If I wrote Bright_Star a check and she couldn't cash it because a teller refused to overdraw my account and make me pay the fines, she would be pissed for having to deal with my financial problems.

It shouldn't be BStar's responsibility. It's between me and my bank.

Now I'm wondering how exotic dancers react to $1 checks deposited in their garters.

I digress.

Comment

Tellers are NOT supposed to cash checks that are INF. The girl needs to go back to her parents and work something else out with them, or try back at the bank on another day when the money might be there.
          Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Quoth Primer View Post
            Tellers are NOT supposed to cash checks that are INF. The girl needs to go back to her parents and work something else out with them, or try back at the bank on another day when the money might be there.

You just saved me from writing, dating and signing a book of checks @ $1 ea.

I think I've messed up my own rating scale with this analogy.

Nevertheless, sift through the information provided by Internet Strangers and use your best judgement.

So far it seems as though you did right. We'll know more as more experts chime in.

Patience.

Comment

We barely ever use checks anymore up here in Canuckistan, so I'm completely ignorant about check cashing. But what I can't understand is why bank accounts ever get "overdrawn" in the first place. I mean, if I wanted to spend money I didn't have I'd use a credit card! I've heard so many horror stories about identity theft where banks wouldn't let a victim close the account because it was overdrawn. But every time they put money in to zero it out, another transaction would go through and they'd have to go through the horrible cycle all over again. There was this horrible story on the Consumerist where this woman in the States (with BoA, I think) went through this for MONTHS. The bank kept assuring her that they would eventually refund all fraudulent charges, but in the meantime she couldn't pay her rent and kept having to get her employer to front her cash so she could buy food! And each time a charge went through (genuine or fraudulent), she would ALSO get stuck with overdraft fees and penalties!! So, when you don't have the credit protection that credit card companies offer, wouldn't a customer prefer to bounce a check or not have a payment go through than go through all the problems of overdraft??

Wow, sorry for the rant. I guess I just don't understand banking. Maybe I should go back to putting my money in my mattress?
              But I don't need a vagina. I have a pony.
              -Gravekeeper

Comment

I'm confused.
                So, she doesn't actually have an account with you guys, but her parents do? And she'd sign her check over to her parents and then try to cash it herself?

My brain hurts now.

Comment

Was the check written out to the girl, from her parents' account? I'm not quite sure I understand what happened.
                  --Kim--

“It is sometimes an appropriate response to reality to go insane.” Philip K. Dick

Comment

Her parents gave her the check in HER name and she signed it. I couldn't cash because the funds were not available. She wanted me to cash it although the funds were not available. just because somebody gives you the check that does not make it YOUR check. Its their account and i will not screw with somebody else's account.

Comment

I still don't get it...

If I understand...

Her parents wrote her a cheque drawn against their account. I assume the cheque was make out correctly: Amount, payee's name, signed by the issuer etc. I am guessing that the payee then counter-signed the cheque and wanted you to cash it. You refused to cash it because.... the parents account would go into overdraft? If so, isn't it their problem that they wrote a cheque without having the funds in their account?
                      There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

Quoth MoonChild2007 View Post
                        How stupid do you think i am? I had this girl who would always cash her check signed by her parents. When I told her I can't cash it, she asks me to cash it anyway cause its HER check although its not her account! I kept telling her that its not her check and I WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR OVERDRAWING SOMEBODY'S ELSE'S ACCOUNT AND HAVING THEM CALL MY TELLER MANAGER and have her COMPLAINING ABOUT ME CASHING IT AND OVERDRAWING THIER ACCOUNT! Sorry about that. I have had too many checks returned because I never follow my own instincts and listen to the damn customer. You know what her defense was? That the check was made payable to her so its HER check and that I should just let the check go through. How would she like it if I cashed a check that she had given to somebody and i overdraw her account?
                        I swear, stupidity comes in all ages.
                        We have a great way around that here. We just say, "I'm sorry, madam, but due to the Privacy Act, we cannot cash a cheque were you are a not an account holder and the signature cannot be verified by photo identification".

Total surrender
                        Your touch is so tender
                        Your skin is like water on a burning beach
                        And it brings me relief
                        "Nails in My Feet" - Crowded House

Comment

A problem that will be penned on ME! Unless you are a teller, its hard to understand. People from the outside don't understand that even though its their account, we the teller get in trouble. Also, if I did cash the check, the check would have been returned and i would get in trouble. You don't understand that i have a manager who likes to complain about everything especially me.

If so, isn't it their problem that they wrote a cheque without having the funds in their account?
                          Its my problem as well cause I am the one cashing the check. Tellers also get in trouble for cashing checks, too you know.

We are protecting people's accounts here. Yes, it is the parent's fault if they write a check with no funds available but see, customers have no responsibilites so guess who gets blamed for it? The tellers. Also, her parents would have called the bank and complain about why their account is overdrawn and they will see a check was cashed that shouldn't have been cashed. My manager will look at the person who cashed the check and bitch to ME.

I am saving my own ass as well as her parents here not hers.

Comment

I honestly didn't know that the status of the check writer's account was verified before the check was deposited into the payee's account. When my parents' give me money, say from their Bank A into my Bank B, the check usually clears my account before it clears theirs. Or if I just outright cashed it, I didn't know they checked to see if the funds were available. I guess it just depends on the bank though.
                            --Kim--

“It is sometimes an appropriate response to reality to go insane.” Philip K. Dick

Comment

Wow...where have you been every time my bank has pushed through a check or electronic funds transfer that caused my account to go into overdraft?

These days, I'm surprised that the bank you work at doesn't require you to overdraw accounts. Mine sure seems to like charging me those $30 fees.
                              "She didn't observe the cardinal rule: Don't F**K with people who handle your food"
                              -Ryan Reynolds in 'Waiting'

Comment

Working...
                              X