Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You want me to overdraw somebody's account?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back in the olden days, I worked for a store which had a policy of calling the bank that a check was drawn on to confirm the funds were available. From time to time, a customer was embarrassed to be told s/he didn't have the whole amount in her/his checking account.

It used to be that one would take a check one wasn't certain would clear directly to the bank it was drawn on, rather than one's own bank. If you cashed it at your own bank, and it was later returned NSF, your own bank would withdraw the funds given to you from your own account.

People used to "kite" (or float) checks, too, and it appears the check-writers are unaware that info about accounts can transfer instantly now. It sounds like her parents have a cash flow problem, and are trying to get her to cash checks which they hope to be able to cover in a few days. An aquaintance of mine did this for months. He always patonized tiny neighborhood stores who only made deposits twice a week...and he knew exactly which days those were, and which day his paycheck would be automatically deposited to his checking account.

It worked for a long time, and even though he wrote checks that were technically no good on Tuesday and Wednesday, he knew that deposit would come in on Thursday, same day the Mom 'n'Pop store made their deposit.

Silly girl should take the check to a different bank. But a bank isn't required to cash a check for a non-customer, are they?

Comment

OK, for those unable to follow what went on:

Parents wrote check payable to daughter. Daughter took check back to parents' bank to cash it. There were not enough funds in parents' account to cover check so teller (MoonChild) refused to cash it, which is proper procedure.

Daughter needs to go back to parents or come back to bank another day when the funds might be there.

If daughter were to take the check to her own bank, they would cash it (maybe) but hold the funds in daughter's account until check clears parents' bank. If check bounces at parents' bank, then parents' account becomes overdrawn and fees are assessed, AND the check goes back to daughter's bank where the money is taken out of daughter's account, and fees are assessed on daughter.

I used to be a teller. Yes, the teller catches shit if (s)he cashes a check against an account where the funds are known not to be there.
      Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Hopefully I can clear this up a bit. The DD was attempting to turn in the check for actual cash in hand. This cannot be done because it results in a loss to the bank and an overdraw on the parents account.

When you DEPOSIT a check in your account and take money at the same time, they actually draw the cash from your already available balance until the check clears. If you deposit a check and it comes back unpaid, you will be charged a fee as well as the person who wrote the check.

Unless the parents had some sort of overdraft protection in place, banks are not required to honor a check just because you wrote it.
        The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

I know exactly what Moonchild feels like. People come in all the time with checks drawn on the same bank to cash and get all pissy when you can't cash them. Knowing the account has insufficient funds is only one problem. These jerks will try anything to get their grubby hands on money and don't care at all about banking rules and regulations. How many times a week do people try to cash a check dated for tomorrow or later.......alter a check that doesn't even belong to them.....send in a check made out in pencil.............have no ID......forge signatures........God, they piss me off!!! I should say how many times a DAY do we encounter it....especially in a drive thru. F-ing weasels all try to pull crap in the drive thru. There are just times when something is wrong with a check and we just can't cash it.......our obligation is to protect the person's account AND information. A teller can't just cash everything they get handed......there are so many things that have to be verified on every check. People just don't give a crap and assume all kinds of idiotic things about bank rules. If it weren't for the criminal scumbags, maybe it wouldn't be so difficult. I can say firsthand that it is as if Big Brother is all over my ass at work every day (and "He" is) to keep everyone's account protected and to follow every stinkin' rule they think up next. Sorry for the rant....arrrrgghhhh!!!! Know what I hate????? When a jerk has an account with $1.78 in it for the last 8 years who cashes their paycheck every week and NEVER deposits anything, comes in one day with a great big check for $2000.00 and gets all pissed that we can't cash it and then starts to rant how "they have been such a good customer of this bank for such a loooonnnnggg time" B-S!!!!!!!! Ooooooohhhhhhhh....I am so pissed at those people now!!!!!! Had to vent....I feel your pain M'Child!!!!!

Comment

we had this happen yesterday,

one of the other csa's needed help with a transaction and needed the manager, and since he was busy he asked me to see what it was since he thought that it was another co worker (this one actually knows what hes doing)

so i go in and i ask whats going on, and he says that he needs the manager to approve the transaction cause he wont, i look and its some guy in his late teens early 20's with a check, and his moms id. i said oh yah i wouldnt touch it either.

i have also had one woman who tried just handed me her moms id (who didnt look a thing like her and their last names were not the same either), and her moms credit card, and thought that i would process it. i said um no im not going to do that, she gets upset with me and says well i do it all the time. yah not with me. so i tell her so now you may be her daughter (who by the way had to be at least 45, and the mother at least 60) but how would you like it if some one stole her purse and said well yah, im her daughter, heres her id card, and heres her credit card. she thought about it and said oh yah i guess that could happen.

i have also had a guy try to use his buisness partners credit card, i asked if he was authorized to sign for the card (since it was a buisness account) he said no. i said then no you cant use it. he got mad at me and then takes off, comes back a few mins later and then accuses me of not giving the card back and causes a scene. i reported it to the lp guys, the guy never did come back to try to say i lost the card with any type of report. i think he lost it and wanted to blame me cause from what he said he was already in hot water with the partner.

several kids try to use their parents cards, i then tell them how do i know its not some one else who is callling that isnt your father, (for your fathers protection) oh yah i never thought of that.
            "Let's connect to some ones cyberbrain who is meditating, so we can download enlightenment" one of the Tachikomas (Ghost in the Shell 2nd gig)

Comment

Quoth queenbb View Post
              i have also had a guy try to use his buisness partners credit card, i asked if he was authorized to sign for the card (since it was a buisness account) he said no. i said then no you cant use it. he got mad at me and then takes off, comes back a few mins later and then accuses me of not giving the card back and causes a scene. i reported it to the lp guys, the guy never did come back to try to say i lost the card with any type of report. i think he lost it and wanted to blame me cause from what he said he was already in hot water with the partner.
              What do you want to bet that he was setting it up so he could claim the card was lost/stolen so he wouldn't have to actually pay for whatever it was he was buying that day?

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

im certain that he was up to something, and when i didnt bite he just left. i did say that he should report it when i talked to him

i made him purchase the tires with his own card.
                "Let's connect to some ones cyberbrain who is meditating, so we can download enlightenment" one of the Tachikomas (Ghost in the Shell 2nd gig)

Comment

Working...
                X