X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember beanie babies.

Wanna see what I did to THEM!?

I skinned them and made a coat. 107 of them. Includes a hood. I managed to get all 3-unicorns and some that I heard a collector complain once sold for hundreds of dollars.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

PS. It's for sale!

PPS. At the mall I worked at, this one collectible store had issues with a guy that constantly tried to buy their most popular old toys and games tax-free, but then bragged about re-selling them at his stand at the flea market. They banned him when he wouldn't accept the prices they offered. He took to flaming them on social media. This store learned from other stores that the guy was badmouthing them too, and were working together on a libel suit against him...
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth Catwoman2965 View Post
      Beanie babies. I never quite understood that one either. I have a family member, who is in her 50's who has several tubs of them. "Because they're an investment" um no, sorry, they are not. I do believe there are a few worth money, but most, not so much. Then again, she also bought the whole collection of Wizard of Oz barbies, and another "collectible"Barbie. I asked what for, and she said, "to display" ok, whatever floats your boat.
      I remember about 15- 18 years ago when the Pokémon (card game pre Game Boy) was all the craze.

I remember watching one of those late night shopping shows on a regular broadcast channel. That particular night they were featuring "rare" Pokémon cards directly from Japan. The featured cared was a foil Charazard in Japaneese for like $10,000. The "OMG OMG only 100 of theses cards exists" Great investment ---- BUY NOW"

I wonder what that card is worth today???? Maybe $100 ????? who knows.

I too remember the Beenie Babie thing with the outrageous prices that now sell for maybe $10.
      I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
      -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Sheesh, the stuffed animal section at the store I work in routinely has a lot of Beanies going for 50 cents to $1.
        "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Reminds me of just after the MAGIC: THE GATHERING card game came out. EVERY single gaming company decided to jump on that bandwagon, not bothering to realize that MAGIC had saturated the market. All sorts of other projects were shelved to produce games that few (if any) people bought.

One of my old Comic Book stores had two _huge_ tables overloaded to almost collapse with these, selling for 60% off. When he finally went out of business he still had most of them...

Comment

Ya know, they're *still* putting out MtG and Pokecrack TCG card sets...>_<
            Quoth Fudgethatkay View Post
            she IS the one who goes to secondhand shops and gets brand named clothes...
            My dad used to do that - but not to resell; just for his own use. He was so proud the day he came home with a full Brooks Brothers suit, with the original tags still on it, that he had bought for twenty bucks.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
              I remember beanie babies.

I skinned them and made a coat. 107 of them. Includes a hood.
              That is awesome.
              I managed to get all 3-unicorns and some that I heard a collector complain once sold for hundreds of dollars.
              The key word there is "ONCE". When my dad's housing development held a yard sale, I sold a shopping bag full to a lady who uses the wild-animal ones to educate kids. Worked out to less than a quarter apiece, but at least they were going to a good home.
              Quoth eltf177 View Post
              Reminds me of just after the MAGIC: THE GATHERING card game came out. EVERY single gaming company decided to jump on that bandwagon, not bothering to realize that MAGIC had saturated the market.
              When I worked for The Jerk, one of my 'jobs' was getting rid of that crap on Fleabay. He remained convinced that they would sell at MSRP...

I did like the Rage CCG tho. Still have a box of the cards (mainly for the cool artwork).
              "I am quite confident that I do exist."
              "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

In the middle of the beanie craze, mom actually had to go to court over the stupid things.

Seems a flower shop a block away decided to sell beanies. She pre-sold them to customers for $20-$30 each. One time her shipment went to mom's store instead. Mom's shipment went to the flower shop. At this time, Ty was picky about beanies, and you could only order so much, and they'd ship out what they had, when they had it. So Mom put the beanies on the shelf and sold them for $5. Flower lady had a fit, cursed out UPS, USPS, and had a go at the Ty rep for our area too. Mom got served with papers to appear in court. Flower lady was suing over "lost revenue". I know mom went to talk to a lawyer about it, and the Ty rep was delighted to find out that flower lady was selling higher then the MSRP, and they stopped selling to her.
                https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
                  I remember about 15- 18 years ago when the Pokémon (card game pre Game Boy) was all the craze.

I remember watching one of those late night shopping shows on a regular broadcast channel. That particular night they were featuring "rare" Pokémon cards directly from Japan. The featured cared was a foil Charazard in Japaneese for like $10,000. The "OMG OMG only 100 of theses cards exists" Great investment ---- BUY NOW"

I wonder what that card is worth today???? Maybe $100 ????? who knows.

I too remember the Beenie Babie thing with the outrageous prices that now sell for maybe $10.

Saw something on Yahoo a little while back about those foil Charizards. An English first edition printing is $3000 now.

I had two of the damn things in mint condition and threw out my collection a few years ago. I still have the footprint from kicking myself over it.

Comment

There's a web series I used to watch. I don't know if it's still around or not. But it was basically a reality show. These guys would go to various flea markets and see what kind of deals they can get on old video games and systems. They always showed extreme annoyance with resellers though to their credit, they still remained courteous to them, just never bought anything.
                    To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

I almost bought a Beanie Baby right before the craze. My youngest sister loves owls, and I came across an owl beanie and thought I should buy it for her birthday, but for some reason never did. I did get my mom a cardinal Beanie because she loved those birds I still have it now that mom's gone.

A friend of my brother's collected Beanies and I think she has over 1000 of the silly things.
                      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Good Grief . . . I've lost track of how many Beanie Babies we have thanks to my Mom and one of her then girlfriends collecting them back during the craze.

We also have a basketfull of the minis that were sold at the Golden Arches during the height of the craze too. I'd say we may have at least 50 or so in those plastic display cases between our doll room, my office, Mom's bedroom and the living room. And I have a feeling that estimate is on the low side.
                        Last edited by DGoddessChardonnay; 06-15-2014, 05:48 PM.
                        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

The "local" game store near my house sells Magic cards individually as well as in decks.

One such card is going for around $50.

People are nuts.

On that note, I do collect Pokemon cards. Just because the artwork is awesome (and also because a number of kids at the services I work at do play Pokemon TCG and it makes a good starting point for new children)
                          The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                            One such card is going for around $50.

People are nuts.
                            Only $50? Wow, the market has tanked. When I was forcibly removed from collecting (than you, asshat for stealing my car and entire collection...) I had several cards that were worth over $100 each, and a full set I could have sold for $2500.

My co-worker sold his entire collection at a convention about 5 years ago and bought a new Honda GoldWing.

And I agree. People are nuts.
                            "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Many years ago when my college friend got married he sold his collection of Marvel and DC comics he'd been collecting since he was five. Managed to pay for his honeymoon with that!

Then he decided to try and rebuild the collection. Gave up pretty quickly when he found out how much it would take to do it...

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
                                Many years ago when my college friend got married he sold his collection of Marvel and DC comics he'd been collecting since he was five. Managed to pay for his honeymoon with that!

Then he decided to try and rebuild the collection. Gave up pretty quickly when he found out how much it would take to do it...
                                Reminds me of The 40-Year-Old Virgin...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvm7mLmAtTM

Comment

Working...
                                X