Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've actually seen people try this scam but with a baby in tow. They think this will fool the cashier into believing they are 21 years or older. When they trained cashiers at Publix, this was one of the things they always had them be on the alert for, because it was one of the oldest tactics done by these people. It always made me wonder if they found a "baby rental store" somewhere being there was a good chance that baby wasn't even theirs.

Comment

The only time I really got annoyed showing my ID was a cople months after my 21st birthday and I ordered a glass of wine and the waitress laughed at me! I asked for a water and a glass of Cabernet(sp.) and she starting lauging and said "no way, you can have some soda" I told her I was over 21 and she said "well do you have your ID on you!" I showed it to her and she apologized. I understand I look young for my age, but I don't look 8! Since then I always make sure to have it out when I order alcohol, not so much now since I don't get carded as much as I used to. I remember being in England right before my 21st and the only time I was asked for my ID was by an American working at a bar, I had lost my wallet so I could not get a drink. I went to the pub next door and got a drink there, no ID necessary.

As for people at the liquor store noticing you, there is a wine store around my home, I go to wine tastings there once every couple months and get wine a couple times of month to have at home for guests and myself. They carded me the first time but never again after that, they recognize me now, I don't know how but they do. Maybe it is my sunny disposition and glam good looks (Just kidding!) Its a small store with only 3 people working there so anyone who goes in more than once is probably easily remembered.

Comment

Quoth BdwayBabu799 View Post
        The only time I really got annoyed showing my ID was a cople months after my 21st birthday and I ordered a glass of wine and the waitress laughed at me!
        I had a waitress laugh at me once. But she was laughing at me for having an ID card as opposed to a driver's license. What difference does it make you , the point is i am old enough to order alcohol and should not be subjected to ridicule because i don't drive.
        Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
          For example, here in Florida it is ILLEGAL for ANYONE to give ANY PERSON UNDER 21 ANY ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES PERIOD. In other words, if you are 20, and you are hanging at your parents' house, and they hand you a beer? The law is being broken.

Does this prevent such situations from happening? No, of course not. But technically, you could get in trouble for such a thing.
          A woman in NY got busted for something like that. Boy, was she ever pissed off.
          Unseen but seeing
          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
          3rd shift needs love, too
          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth greensinestro View Post
            I've actually seen people try this scam but with a baby in tow. They think this will fool the cashier into believing they are 21 years or older.
            It is not always a scam. A lot of time it is people who are over 21, albeit young looking, who have kids, and they are shocked that anyone would think that they would be parents and not of age.

Considering how many teenage mothers we have out there, I often wonder why these people think like that. Just because you have a kid does not mean you are automatically of legal drinking age. It just means you are of biological reproductive age.

On another note, I am an uncle, and have often taken care of other people's kids. So, just because you are out with kids does not mean you are automatically of legal drinking age, either. I don't KNOW that those are your kids, other than your word that they are. And laws don't allow me to take your word on your age, so they are not likely to let me take your word on those being your kids, thus making you "automatically" of legal drinking age...which, as I said above, they don't.

Quoth katie kaboom View Post
            I had a waitress laugh at me once. But she was laughing at me for having an ID card as opposed to a driver's license. What difference does it make you , the point is i am old enough to order alcohol and should not be subjected to ridicule because i don't drive.
            In many states (I know this is true in Arizona) they can only take ID cards if they are from THAT STATE. In other words, the only state-issued ID card I could take for alcohol purchases in the Grand Canyon State are Arizona ID cards. If you don't drive, and are in Phoenix, and order a beer from me, and only have your Mississippi ID card, BY LAW I cannot serve you that drink. I would not LAUGH at you, mind you, but I still can't serve you. Just remember, it is not always the server/clerk, but oftentimes the ridiculous law that is preventing the sale.

Also, you did not mention if it was a state-issued ID card (though it sounded like it was). Many times people have given me "ID cards" that were issued by hospitals, workplaces, schools, etc., and they are stunned to find out I can't accept them as valid proof of age for such purchases. Sorry, but no.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
            Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post
              1st Part:
              Remember, America is bloody huge compared to England, with most of our states being big enough to compare to a whole country by European standards. Because of this, each state has their own set of laws that make regional alterations to the overall Federal code.
              In a sense, think of the USofA as what the European Union is trying to become. At least what the strong proponents of the EU want. It's kind of fun-- the roll reversal where the US can look on as the one with experience and Europe being the one feeling the growing pains of youth.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post

Just remember, it is not always the server/clerk, but oftentimes the ridiculous law that is preventing the sale.

Also, you did not mention if it was a state-issued ID card (though it sounded like it was).
                Oh it was a state-issued ID card, but this happened in Maryland, where i have unfortunately lived my whole life (not for much longer though). It just annoyed me that she felt the need to look down on me for not having a drivers license. That really gets under my skin.
                Last edited by katie kaboom; 09-02-2007, 02:43 AM. Reason: word choice
                Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

That's awful. Admittedly, most customers around my age (21) have a driver's license. I live in the suburbs of MD, and the public transportation stops are sparse. It's basically just good for getting into the city without worrying about parking. So most people have licenses.

However, if I saw a 21-yr-old with a state ID, I would not laugh. Jesus, what if she was narcoleptic or epileptic and couldn't have one?! That's really insensitive.

Comment

Forget insensitive.

Forget the possibility of her having a disease or syndrome or condition that prevented her from driving.

Let's just assume for the moment that she just DOESN'T drive. Doesn't matter the reason. (My friend SW didn't get her first driver's license until she was 25.)

That is still freakin' rude. Yes, a lot of underage people go the ID route rather than the DL route, as IDs are easier to fake than the licenses.

But...so what? Many people don't drive, for whatever reason. And thus they have ID cards. To laugh at such a thing? Idiotic, rude, bad service, and generally a good indication that said impolite person is basically a fucknut.
                    Last edited by Jester; 09-03-2007, 07:19 AM.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                    Still A Customer."

Comment

It bugs me when kids who are born in 1986 complain that we keep carding them. I hate to break it to these people but they will get carded for the next ten years.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                        Forget insensitive.

Forget the possibility of her having a disease or syndrome or condition that prevented her from driving.

Let's just assume for the moment that she just DOESN'T drive. Doesn't matter the treason. (My friend SW didn't get her first driver's license until she was 25.)

That is still freakin' rude. Yes, a lot of underage people go the ID route rather than the DL route, as IDs are easier to fake than the licenses.

But...so what? Many people don't drive, for whatever reason. And thus they have ID cards. To laugh at such a thing? Idiotic, rude, bad service, and generally a good indication that said impolite person is basically a fucknut.
                        I completely agree. I don't drive; I have a permit but never got my license. I can drive, I have no medical reasons why I cannot drive I just don't. It saves me money and I live in the city, so I don't have to worry about parking etc. I get looks all the time when people find out about it, I don't care at all. No one should laugh at you because of it.

My friend grew up in NYC and she is in the army, she said there were plenty of people who learned to drive tanks but did not have a state drivers license. She can drive, but let's take my aunt for example. She grew up in a place where it was common to get your license at 16, she didn't. She moved to Boston, then New York City and is VP of a company and has no license, I don't think anyone would laugh at her or say she did not accomplish anything because she did not have a car! : Steps off soap box: I think as long as you have some sort of valid ID then people should take it and carry on with the transaction. As for customers being rude when asked for ID, I think if you are old enough to drink, you are old enough not to have a hissy fit when showing the ID.

Comment

Quoth BdwayBabu799 View Post
                          I completely agree. I don't drive; I have a permit but never got my license. I can drive, I have no medical reasons why I cannot drive I just don't.
                          I didn't get my driver's license until last year. (I'm 28 now.)

Always had my permit, but never really NEEDED a DL before.

Besides, I'm in NJ now. Who'd want to take their lives into their hands and actually drive out here?
                          Unseen but seeing
                          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                            I didn't get my driver's license until last year. (I'm 28 now.)

Always had my permit, but never really NEEDED a DL before.

Besides, I'm in NJ now. Who'd want to take their lives into their hands and actually drive out here?
                            Exactly, some places you just don't want to drive because of how dangerous it might me. I would rather not worry about parking downtown if I can. Maybe one day I will get it, but not any time soon.

My grandmother was 55 when she learned to drive which was pretty cool. She felt wierd taking her 5 hour course with a bunch of 16 year olds, now my great grandmother failed her test 10 times before she finally learned., according to my grandmother, she was not the best driver once she actually was able to drive...

Comment

Bdway, exactly.

And, since this seems like a good time, I'd like to post this again. (As a matter of fact, Katie once used it as her siggy )

"Americans will accept the fact that a person can be an alcoholic or a dope fiend, but if a man doesn't drive, they think there must be something wrong with him."
                              -- ART BUCHWALD
                              Last edited by Becks; 09-02-2007, 03:35 PM. Reason: where'd the *s come from?
                              Unseen but seeing
                              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Like I said, in my area, you almost have to be able to drive. So it really is odd to not have a license, even if you don't have a car. But I'd only really care about the state of someone's license if it affected me personally. Like when you have that ONE friend who can't drive and needs to be picked up every time the group does something, and no one really lives THAT close to her, and you have to argue over whose turn it is to get her....

Comment

Working...
                                X