This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stethoscope man

I worked the CS desk today. First I had an old lady that had counted her groceries to the penny and had seen that she had been overcharged $3.20 but couldn't quite find where. That's fine; $3 is enough to inquire after. However, she was in that mindset that I was retarded, which aggravated me.

Me :oring over the receipt:: : "When you added up the price, what did you take as the full price of the dressing?"
    Old Woman: "It's buy one get one free."
    Me: "I know, but what did you take as the full price."
    OW: "It's BUY ONE, get one free!"
    Me: "I know, ma'am, but what did you say was the full price before the sa-"
    OW: "IT'S BUY ONE GET ONE FREE!"
    Me: "I realize that! I'm asking what you used when figuring out what half of the full priced dressing was!"
    OW: "Oh, $2.99."

Jeez! I know you're upset, but listen to the words I am speaking, and this can only go faster! Don't assume that I'm being stupid and repeat yourself.

Later came the stethoscope man. He was a middle aged guy in normal clothing with a stethoscope around his neck and a baseball cap. But he comes over and looks at my coworker to ask how much money orders are. I answered, but he just gave me a brief, wide-eyed glance and turned back to my coworker to ask the next question. Catching this, I spoke over my friend to answer every question the guy had, and sure enough he did not want to look at the woman. Sexist jerk.

Anyway, he pulled out a wad of fifties and hundreds to pay, then pulled out a separate wad.

"Do you have a hundred-dollar bill?"
    Me: "Yes, I do Let me get your change first, real fast." Then I handed him his change, but he pulled the hundred away. Then I handed him his money order and said, "Do you want that hundred?"
    Him: "Yes. ::looks down at money order with a confused expression::"
    Me: "..........Can I have your money?"
    Him: "Just give me a second......"
    And he abruptly walked off.

So, he has a pile of fifties and hundreds but wants yet another one. He has a stethoscope but carries a lot of cash and uses money orders. Doctors have checking accounts, generally. Has a creepy stare and a sexist nature. My coworker and I decided he was probably not a doctor, just crazy.

I first started as a bagger at the local supermarket. I always hated the (usually) older people who would do their shopping while adding up their purchases on a piece of scrap paper as they went. some did it by hand others carried a calculator and scrap paper. I don't know if they were just paranoid or didn't have a lot of money. They would put down the price of a few items total it up, add a few more to that total it up again, and repeat. Some of them could do math and came very close to the total, usually within a dollar or so. They wouldn't figure in any taxes. we had one lady who even tried to total her weighed produce. The analog scale in produce is not as accurate as the POS scale, so she would argue over that. The worst ones were those that couldn't count of 53 cents from pile of change but somehow claimed they could add up the exact total of a cart load of food. The worst days were when buses of seniors form the local assisted living places came in. The were a few people that would not leave the store without complain to the MOD about something. Hire more old people, charge less, make the store brighter, make it darker, etc. The only "valid complaint" I have herd from some of them is that the size of the customer POS screen is small. But their are rumors that plans are in the works to install new POS systems in the stores soon.

Comment

I get SO ANNOYED at the people who, upon me telling them their total, are SHOCKED and cannot BELIEVE that it came to that amount - they must've been overcharged on something! Or maybe the computer added up the total wrong! I then have to read off the price of every item to them.

My co-worker who works service desk told me that people come up to her all the time wanting help figuring out their receipt and why it came up to such a high amount. She then has to bust out the adding machine and ensure them that the computer DID add everything up correctly..
      My Myspace, add me!

Comment

Quoth RammsteinGirl View Post
        I get SO ANNOYED at the people who, upon me telling them their total, are SHOCKED and cannot BELIEVE that it came to that amount - they must've been overcharged on something!
        Situation: Total at till is higher than expected, let's see how these two people handle the situation!

SC: You overcharged me!

Broomjockey: *stagger, clutching heart* Whoops, I suck at math, heh.
        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

What's funny is, considering most people pretty much buy the same stuff when they go shopping, you should be able to ballpark your average shopping trip unless something goes on sale unexpectedly. I write my list, go down and add up what the usual price of the items are, and since I round the cents up, that usually covers the tax. I'm pretty much within a couple of dollars.

I mean, if you buy the same stuff you bought last time (more or less) your total should be pretty much the same as it was before.
          "You know, there are times when it's a source of personal pride not to be human." - Hobbes

Comment

When I'm grocery shopping, I usually keep a general tally of how much it should be. If I put something in the cart that's $4.76, I add 5 to my total, that way I won't be surprised at the total.

The only time we've been very picky about the total was when my best friend was doing her grocery shopping for her new apartment. She had just moved in, needed EVEYTHING (spices, condiments, paper goods, etc), and had just spent a lot of money on moving, deposits, first month's rent. We did go through the store with a calculator, but it was just for our benefit, so we wouldn't go over what she had budgeted.
            That is so full of suck Dyson doesn't know how they did it - shankyknitter

Comment

Quoth CancelMyService View Post
              I mean, if you buy the same stuff you bought last time (more or less) your total should be pretty much the same as it was before.
              Until the prices rise because the store now has to charge for the cost of shipping the item, and gas prices went up four dollars a gallon in the week prior...
              "I call murder on that!"

Comment

I do go through the store and tally things up on my cell phone just so I have an idea of how much I have in the cart vs. how much I have to spend. It's just for my own information. I don't argue at the checkout over every petty little thing. I just graciously take the receipt, and check it at the car. Most of the time, everything is in order from what I can tell. I probably wouldn't know the difference over a random dollar here or there, anyway. I think I've only had to go back to the customer service desk once or twice to have them correct an error in my favor.

I had to do that at the bank once, too. I went through the drive-thru and cashed my paycheck like usual. I counted it when I got home, and it was short 30 cents. I called the bank and told them. I was uncertain whether to expect anything, but they did give me the 30 cents just on my word. I was relieved that they were willing to make it right, but I didn't really expect it since I didn't stay to verify it.
                The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

Working...
                X