This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Jester View Post
    A few things. First, does anyone else here find it funny that there are people in here calling money from the Seventies and Eighties OLD?!?!? I'm only 36, and I don't find that that old.
    36???? ZOMG?!?!?! What were dinosaurs like? What was life like before radio? Was it really cold during the Ice Age, or just hovering around freezing for a really long time?

j/k!

But seriously, I thought that paper money was only supposed to have a life of about 5 to 10 years. If I'm right in remembering that, bills from the seventies are the Methuzelah of money.
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Interesting. After that last post, I checked my wallet. None of my 1's were older than 1999 (and only one of those). None of my 20's were older than 2001. So here I am thinking I may have just stepped in it.

My lone hundred in my wallet, though, was 1996.

And then it gets interesting with my four 2's: 2003, 1995, 1976, and 1976.

And that was just a random sampling of the money in my wallet. And I have not had those two old 2's more than a few years. I have no idea what any of this means....I just find it amusing. Yes, I probably need professional help. But unless you are a professional bartender, you cannot give me the help I want.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
      Still A Customer."

Comment

I'd check the bills in my wallet, but they're all for $23.04, $13.78, and one for $50.36. I don't think these will help in our investigation. But additionally, the life span I quoted was based on some average use calcualtion or some such. Certain denominations are going to be used less frequently, and others more so, changing life. Also, it depends on how some of those handlers store their cash. Flat in wallet=longer. Loose in pocket=trash wannabe.

You never mentioned life before radio Jester! Enquiring minds want to know!

Comment

BJ, I wouldn't know about life before radio, but if you keep going in that vein, you may find out if there is life after radio...hits you upside the head.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
            None of my 1's were older than 1999
            Actually, the year only marks the year the series was engraved, a one dollar bill marked series 1999 could have been printed at any point between 1999 and 2003, when the design was updated slightly, (in the case of the ones the changes were hardly noticable.)

People tuck bills away sometimes. The ten and five I got was slightly used but subsequently pressed flat, as if it had spent its years in between the pages of a book.
            You're not doing me a favor by eating here. I'm doing you a favor by feeding you.

Comment

Too. Many. Jokes.

Now there's a bookmark you can count on.
              I guess the person really valued their books!
              Maybe they thought it was a flower.
              I wonder which book it was. Probably not "Investing For Dummies"

And the rest have fled my brain in horror.

Comment

I got a Susan B Anthony coin a few days ago. Swear.
                I've had people pay with the old style tens and twenties recently, and I stopped to inspect them, just because.
                The people paying didn't like that much, which I can understand, but I'm not so good at recognizing the security features on the older bills.
                "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Rahmota View Post
                  This is probably something that peeves a lot of cashiers but I love to use the gold dollars.
                  I spend a fair amount of my day in a car, so I'ld get them a roll at a time, stick them in the cup holder of the car, and use them at fast food. That way, I wasn't always digging out my wallet.

My oddest one was a one euro coin someone stuck in a token machine.. It got counted as a quarter. Lousy exchange rate. My oldest one was a Morgan half dollar someone managed to jam up a token machine with.

Comment

A friend of my grandmother's is obsessed with the gold dollars. He gets rolls and rolls of them at a time. He leaves them for waitresses, hands them out to grandkids, etc.

Comment

Penny with a minting date of 1901, got it in my change at a Wendy's

Lots of pure silver quarters from the 60's are still out there in circulation, and wheat pennies too. I usualy find them because they're in my change, and I don't realize it untill they're rejected by a vending machine/coinstar machine.

Got a red star $5 (red ink for the seriel number instead of green, from what I gather it was a relic of the 50's or 60's as well)
                      - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                        Got a red star $5 (red ink for the seriel number instead of green, from what I gather it was a relic of the 50's or 60's as well)
                        I've at least seen one of those before. Maybe I even have it somewhere. I have a small collection of $2 bills. I have old-ish change and foreign coins saved in a pretty box, along with my state quarters.

Bella has at least one silver certificate, but I forget the denomination.

I miss cashiering, to see/collect money, but the store I work for is strict, anyway.
                        Unseen but seeing
                        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                        3rd shift needs love, too
                        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                          36???? ZOMG?!?!?! What were dinosaurs like? What was life like before radio? Was it really cold during the Ice Age, or just hovering around freezing for a really long time?
                          It was glorious. As a veteran of thirty-seven, I can assure you that there was a time when the Dead Sea was only sneezing and saying it would be fine in a couple of days.

Rapscallion

Comment

Someone tried to pay with a $1000 bill once that was dated 1912 or so. The managers stupidly took it, and it turned out to be real. They were lucky.

Comment

I have 1, 2, 5 and 20 cent coins that were minted in 1966, the first year of decimal currency of Australia. Very rare now...
                              I don't actually see that much old currency becasue our notes haven't changed since we went to polymer notse in the mid '80s, and they last for decades. They also aren't dated.
                              I think, therefore I am. But I am micromanaged, therefore I am not.

Comment

I have a 1926 Standing Liberty quarter. I worked in the bookkeeping office so I don't know whether a customer gave it to us or if it just came in a roll from the bank.

I also received a 1943 Mercury dime from a customer. He was a sucky customer about it too. I ring up his order and give him the total. It came up to x dollars and 10 cents. He gives me the bills and just looks at me. I tell him he still owes me 10 cents (I don't give breaks to any customer. If the register says you owe $10.01 then you're paying my store $10.01). He says he doesn't have it. I suggest that we can remove an item then. He grumbles and pulls out the Mercury dime. Gives me a lecture on its age, value, how I should kiss the ground he walks on because he gave it to me, etc. and ends with demanding that I keep it for my own and not put it in the cash drawer. Ok, so I did that. Well, actually, I switched it out for 2 nickels.
                                My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.---Cary Grant

Comment

Working...
                                X