Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got bit by an agressive cat at the animal clinic. We trying to put the cat down for surgery. One tech was restraining while the other was trying to inject the "sleepy juice" in the vein. Cat wouldn't stay still. I was filling out anesthesia paperwork when they called me over to tab the cat's forehead. This distracts cats attention to me so he can stay still for the injection. Didn't workout. Cat turned his head and bit my head and bled profusly. I definently looked on the cat's record to make it had it's rabies. It did. The vet had me fill out a report and recieved paperwork to go to the hospital if I needed to. I did get a little bit of infection, but nothing serious.

Comment

I never really hurt myself badly on the job. When I worked in the concession stand at the movie theater, I was carrying some boxes of candy. The floor was a little bit wet. My feet slipped out under me and I landed on my back. They put mats on the floor after that. Other then that...my injuries consist of paper cuts, banged body parts. OOH...when I was interning at a vet hospital I got bit by a dog. There was quite a bit of blood but one of the techs wrapped it up and I didn't need to go to the hospital.

Comment

Quoth PorkChop
        I got bit by an agressive cat at the animal clinic. The vet had me fill out a report and recieved paperwork to go to the hospital if I needed to. I did get a little bit of infection, but nothing serious.
        The one time I got "blooded" by a cat at the emergency animal hospital, the vet on duty immediately grabbed a two-week regimen of antibiotics out of the pharmacy for me, and made me swear I would take the whole regimen. I had already jumped at the chance of getting prophylactic rabies vaccinations the first time they were available, so I didn't have to worry (much) about rabies. I really should have my titer checked, just to see if I'm still good.

Other than that, I had my share of needle jabs from the animal moving when I was trying to administer meds or put in an IV. At least I never missed with a B-Euth IV!

Other injuries at other jobs would take another (much longer) post.
        Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

When I worked in the meat dept at costco, I had a pallet of meat collapse and come down on me... at first I didn'teven know what happened, then I saw the boxes on the floor and it started to hurt, by the time I made it to the office, I couldn't move my head, I ended up in the ER, not fun..they gave me muscle relaxers, fun. So, still 5 years later I still get headaches because the tensed up muscle pulled my spine( basically all my cervical vertebrae) perfectly straight, so my neck has no curve at all..a few years after my uncle( a chiropracter) x-rayed it, so now I have them hanging on my fridge, you can notice something is off about them right away. It was funny tho because I always kinda had a fear of boxes falling on me, I figured they would kill you tho ( they weigh anywhere from 60-200 lbs, 6 fell, 4 hit me)..I guess not

Comment

At my last job, which was making wooden frames for houses. I was hammering a nail, and well, I hammered the wrong nail. Yup, I hammered my thumb, it swelled up, and had to hold my thumb in a shot of Peroxide (which made it feel alot better) oh I left it in the peroxide for about 1/2 hr. Also at the same job, about 2 years ago, I dropped a pressure treated 4x4 onto my left foot twice *pressure treated wood is green, with a bunch of slashes in it*. I also had a in grown tonail, that got pushed in even more
            Last edited by powerboy; 07-19-2006, 02:06 AM.
            Under The Moon Paranormal Research
            San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

I've been only really injured at work once - thank goodness, because I'm very accident prone...

It was the dumbest thing, too. I was working as material handler on my line at my first factory job, putting boxes together. Pretty easy - hold corner in place, bam, bam, bam with the air-powered box stapler, rotate, hold corner, bam, bam, OW! Seems my thumb got in between the box and the stapler.

I was able to pull the staple out, got sent to their outpatient clinic to get bandaged up, and got put on light duty for a few days. I just have no feeling on a small part of my left thumb now.

Comment

I can now officially be added to the "hurt myself at work" thread.

I cut my right index finger today at work.

It's pretty deep, and it wouldn't stop bleeding, but it's not serious.
                It's right on the joint, and they couldn't stitch it, so they glued it.

Every time I moved my finger, it came open.
                Also, I hadn't had a tetanus shot since....probably grade school, so I figured I better get one.
                I did it on the rim of a toaster that a customer had returned, and it was pretty grungy looking.

They didn't bring back the original box, and the clerk didn't keep the one from the replacement. (This same lady returned 2 toasters this week and neither one had a box, and the clerk didn't keep the one from the replacement. )
                This was the older toaster and it had been used for several months.
                As I mentioned, it was pretty icky looking.

I was trying to fit it into a box, and the damn thing slipped, catching my finger and slicing into it just like a knife.

It didn't hurt when it happened, so that's how I knew it had gone pretty deep.
                Once the blood started running, then it hurt like hell.

There was absolutely nothing in my area to use to stop the flow of blood.
                I grabbed a bandage quickly from my drawer, but it just bled right through in about 5 seconds.
                The floor had blood all over it.

After one of the guys from the first aid team had helped me bandage it, I went back to clean up the mess the best I could.

I got thinking, though, that I probably should have it checked out, since I knew it would probably keep coming open every time I moved my finger, and I figured a tetanus shot wouldn't hurt.

When I got back from the hospital, one of the guys had cleaned up all the blood that I hadn't been able to get to because of the bandage on my hand.

It's throbbing pretty bad tonight. It's hard for me to write and type, since it's my right hand, and I am right handed., but I think I will live.

If that crazy lady brings another damn toaster back without a box, I may throw it at her.
                Last edited by Ree; 07-24-2006, 10:17 PM.
                Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Quoth Ree
                  If that crazy lady brings another damn toaster back without a box, I may throw it at her.
                  Just remember to use your left hand, Ree.

Sorry to hear about that...hope you heal up soon!!
                  Not all who wander are lost.

Comment

Damn carpet cleaners...

My office is 24/7. I work Saturdays. The weekend people seem to be pariahs around here...I think oftentimes people forget we're here. (Today's a perfect example of that - they haven't bothered to turn on the air conditioning cause hey, it's just the Saturday people.)

So a few times a year the carpet cleaners come out. Now the chemicals they use stink like wet dog and give me a pounding headache...however I'm never given enough warning to actually schedule the day off...and invariably they come out on days when I actually have important things to do and can't leave due to illness. But this is irrelevant to the story.

So last year they come out...first time I've been here while they were working. Joy. My job involved a lot of wandering around the building. Somehow they manage to be in my way everywhere I go...and their cords are all over the building. I just knew I wouldn't make it out unscathed as I'm fairly clumsy.

I was walking at a brisk pace across the lobby where they were working. Carpet was obviously wet...which I compensated for while crossing the tile-only area. Unfortunately it didn't register that the tile was totally wet too. So I slipped and fell on one knee, hard. Also hurt my wrist a bit. I swore, naturally.

The two people who were working turned around, looked right at me, and turned back around! Meanwhile I'm on the ground in all kinds of pain. You'd think common sense would say to offer a hand up or something...nope!

Now I fully admit that this is 99% my fault...however with the tile being black it was hard to see it was slippery, and they packed up soon and wandered off...no signs of any sort indicating caution. I wonder how it would've played out if it had been one of the little old ladies that occasionally wander into the building to conduct business with another company (we don't get customers). I assume she would've just been left there to lie in agony until one of my coworkers wandered across her.

So I immediately went and filed an injury report, and a complaint against the carpet cleaners. Sadly we still hire the same assholes...but now they bring signs, which is a step up.

Comment

I was cleaning up a jar that involved glass jar since none of the baggers were available at the time. One of the pieces of glass cut my pinky finger. It was a small cut but it bled quite a bit. My coworker at the service desk put peroxide on it and then a band aid.
                      My Fanfic Page
                      My Fiction Page
                      My Social Group
                      My Pet Social Group
                      My You Tube Channel

Comment

When I worked at Wendy's I was usually in back drive thru window, which means I do the dishes as well. Their dishwasher shoots out water to make them go round and round so all I really have to do is rinse them off. We had a basket that hangs on the side to put knives and stuff in. Everyone knows to put the knives in there, always. So one time someone didnt and the washer was going so i stick my hand in to get the dishes and a knife slices me right on my wrist. I thought I was never gonna stop bleeding, but it did eventually.I have a nice little scar to show for it.
                        I also have a realy bad scar from a burn when I burned myself on the oven we put potatoes in.
                        "I want to be a mongoose. Can I be a mongoose dog?"

Comment

When I was a stocker at the Vitamin Store (also sold some natural foods), the stock would come in opaque yellow plastic totes, impossible to see through. One evening, the delivery people stacked the totes five high, and put the heavy ones with jars of spaghetti sauce and bottles of water at the very top of the stack. I did not know this until I pulled one down. Ever pull something heavy down from a height of about six feet? Not fun. I immediately felt something go "zing!" in my back, then excruciating pain. Boss made me work until closing, four hours. Four hours later, I am still in severe pain, hobbling around with my back bent around like Quasimodo, gritting my teeth to keep from screaming. Forget about driving home in that condition. I called hubby, he took me to the hospital. I had a muscle spasm, not a severe injury but painful as anything. They gave me muscle relaxers and IIRC, I got a few days off. Don't remember if I had workmans comp (I think I did, but it's been a while), but the boss reamed out the delivery people about placing the heavy totes on top of the pile.

When I was working as an admin temp, I gave myself tenosynovitis twice. First time was an envelope stuffing job which was supposed to be a couple of weeks and got stretched into three months. Second time was a computer entry job with far too much ten-keying. As a result, my right wrist is rather weak, my left is not much better and some nights I have to sleep with my wrists in splints.
                          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                          My LiveJournal
                          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Here I am again...

The other night at work I was having one of my "no depth perception" times and I slammed my shoulder into a pallet.

(At work, they like stacking pallets of stuff like paper towels on top of each other. Makes more space, sure, but the second level is shoulder high on me, as my story proves...I'm suprised I haven't dislocated it yet...)
                            Unseen but seeing
                            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                            3rd shift needs love, too
                            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I had to transport two extremely heavy boxes of paper into the basement of the building where I worked. There was an elevator in the building, but, of course, it didn't go all the way down, since visitors weren't allowed below the first floor, or some similarly idiotic thing. At the time, I was spending about three days a week walking with a cane because I'd done some rather serious damage to both my knees in a non-work related series of incidents. So, I had to get these boxes down the chipped, cracked concrete stairs that passed under the asbestos warning sign on their way to the basement.

Not a problem, I think to myself. I'll take them one at a time and just drag them instead of carrying them. A co-irker pointed me at a hand trolley in the corner and suggested I use it. She made a big point about how sturdy it looked.

Great! I'll just lower it down the stairs in front of me!

Turns out it was made of aluminum. I found that out when the metal tore and the cart burst on the way down the stairs. I caught both boxes in an acrobatic feat that cost me a broken finger and managed to get them both put away.

My finger swelled up to almost twice its normal size in the time it took to get back upstairs. My co-irker just sat there and smirked and gloated while she insisted that I fill out an accident report... myself... with a broken middle finger on the hand I hold a pen with.

I responded by nicking a pair of file folder tabs and some duct tape and splinting my own finger. I finished the day without so much as an aspirin and carried four more boxes to the basement. Intimidation works poorly and mostly serves to make me do the impossible, because it's *not* what the person wants. *shrugs*
                              07-88-02 :: How do I powercycle the previous agent?
                              Get the joke? You know where I work. Missed it? Sorry, can't say a word about it.

Comment

My worst injury came from cleaning the ovens in the bakery I used to work at. I was using a heavy duty oven cleaner since the things hadn't been cleaned in ages (and the "commercial strength" one we were supposed to use did crap all). As I was cleaning a nice big glob of grease mixed with oven cleaner landed on my arm. I was so into my work that I didn't notice it. But soon it started itching. So I scratched it, which just spread it around more. Then it started to burn at an exponential rate. By the time I got to a sink to rinse it all off (while yelling expletives along the way) I managed to get a nice chemical burn about the size of a half dollat on my arm that left a scar for a few years.

Comment

Working...
                                X