Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I still haven't managed to remember to put my bags in my car. I've been to the grocery store a few times since the ban went into effect. I just roll my eyes at myself and get on with my life. All three times I was buying mostly stuff I wouldn't put into bags anyway (12 packs of soda cans, milk), and just one or two items that might need bags. I've elected to just carry those items loose. I need to get my bags in my car soon. I keep saying I'm going to do it as soon as I get it cleaned out and keep procrastinating on the cleaning thing.
    At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
      ... I'm going to do it as soon as I get it cleaned out...
      See my new sig.
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I went shopping last night for the first time since this went into effect. I guess I've been in my own little world because I had no idea it would happen so fast. Maybe I was expecting a more gradual transition. All I know is that I didn't like the way my local store handled it last night.

It was around 6 PM so the store was completely packed. Every check-out lane was open and each one had a line at least six people deep. I got about 12 items, two of which have handles that I could easily carry on their own but the rest were all smaller that I couldn't possibly have carried all at once. I paid for my stuff, had a brief chat with the cashier while doing so, and then went to pick up the bag... only to find all my items just sitting there at the end. The bagger then asked if I wanted to purchase a bag for 15 cents. This was all after my transaction had been said and done and the person behind me was already inputting their card information.

I was a little irritated, I'm not going to lie. Why didn't they ask me during the transaction? Instead I had to be the one holding up the line while I fished around in my pockets for change. Only then did the clerk start putting my items in the bag. Sure 30 seconds isn't a long time but we all know how impatient customers can be. I could feel everyone behind me in line burning a hole though the back of my head.

I wasn't rude about it. I actually voted in favor of the ban bag and I know it isn't the fault of the workers. I just wish that I'd been asked earlier or that maybe they would've put up a little sign at the register.

Sorry, I didn't mean to end up venting! I can't even imagine what grocery or retail workers are going through right now.
        Last edited by Totiono; 11-17-2016, 06:35 PM.

Comment

A lot of people paid no attention to the "goes into effect immediately" part of the proposal so were shocked.

I've noticed two things since it started. One is that stores that used to give 5¢ credit when you brought your own bag have stopped that. I've overheard complaints from a lot of people.

The other thing that surprised me is the number of people opting to use no bags at all. Some just pile it all in a shopping cart and take it out to their car (not sucky, customers have always had that option). The ones that surprised me are the ones who walk out juggling a quart of milk, four oranges, a carton of eggs, two cans of soup, a tube of toothpaste, and a box of laundry detergent.

Comment

Quoth Starkely View Post
            So, prop 67 passed here in California, which bans one-use plastic bags and has retailers charge at least 10 cents per bag. As you might expect, people are very angry about the change. We've been cussed out, called racists, told what we're doing is illegal, threatened with lawsuits, had people storm out vowing never to shop with us again. And one notable person said, "the president of your company should be taken out and shot" All over 10 cents.

Ugh. This program just started and I'm already dreading going to work.
            I hate plastic bags. I hate the way they clutter up my house and I hate throwing them away and I hate trying to reuse them until they turn into lace and dump four pounds of canned goods all over the parking lot. But I always forget my reusable bags. I leave them in the car, I leave them in the house, I get to the store and see the sign: "Did you remember your reusable bags?" and think "Crap, now they tell me."

Basically I hate myself, is what I'm saying.

Comment

Quoth nutraxfornerves View Post
              A lot of people paid no attention to the "goes into effect immediately" part of the proposal so were shocked.
              Wow, I think this town had like... a year before the ban went into effect.

Yup, most stores here don't give credit for bringing your own bag, except one that for some reason continues to give a seven cent credit, but only if you go through the regular line with a cashier. If you go through the self checkout you don't get anything. Since the lines are always insanely long because that store only has like two or three cashiers on, I generally use the SCO and don't get the credit. I don't care about the seven cents, I just thought it was odd.

Totiono, yeah I'd be a little annoyed, too. I look at how many items a person has and ask if they want to buy a bag near the beginning of the transaction. A lot of the time the person says "I have my own bag!" and they pull it out of their purse where I couldn't see it. I know, they probably just forgot to give it to me, but some people have this tone like I should have known about this hidden bag using my x-ray vision. Anyway, hopefully the cashiers in your state will get into the habit of asking at the start of the transaction, the way most do here.
              Last edited by EricKei; 11-18-2016, 12:44 AM. Reason: snip
              Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                ... I should have known about this hidden bag using my x-ray vision...
                If I had X-Ray vision you'd be so sterilized you wouldn't need to be embalmed.
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth nutraxfornerves View Post
                  Some just pile it all in a shopping cart and take it out to their car (not sucky, customers have always had that option). The ones that surprised me are the ones who walk out juggling a quart of milk, four oranges, a carton of eggs, two cans of soup, a tube of toothpaste, and a box of laundry detergent.
                  This is me. I keep forgetting my bags and I'm too damned cheap to pay for more. Though I do take advantage of the rather large purse I carry that's never more than 1/3 full to stuff little stuff in. I've always done that for smaller stuff, with or without the bag ban.
                  Last edited by EricKei; 11-18-2016, 12:43 AM. Reason: snip
                  At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Yeah, a lot of people here were surprised it went into effect immediately. I've had so many people insist that it's not supposed to take effect yet and what we're doing is illegal. One gentleman even insisted it didn't actually get passed, that our store is just scheming to make money. Right, and that's why Target, Ralphs, Vons, Albertsons, Walmart, Stater Bros are all charging for bags. :roll eyes:

It's a pain having to ask every customer, "would you like to buy a bag today? it's ten cents." and then deal with a range of shocked, surprised, and angry people. It's really slowing our lines down and since the holidays are coming, it's really bad timing.

Comment

While I do feel sorry for everyone who is dealing with the SC fallout, I am looking forward to a state wide bag ban here. They are rather environmentally harmful to produce and many people don't dispose of them properly so they end up becoming "witches bloomers" or killing animals in one way or another.

The only thing the plastic store bags are good for once you have brought your groceries home (if they don't split on the way) is to clean the litter boxes and even then, I always use 2 because I just know that one has a hole that I didn't see.

Hint for getting into the habit. Carry your bags in your car where you carry your purse. When you get in the car, knowing that you are going somewhere that you might need bags, put your purse under the bags.

Comment

Quoth Totiono View Post
                        Sorry, I didn't mean to end up venting! I can't even imagine what grocery or retail workers are going through right now.
                        No worries! Venting is what we're here for!

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
                        The only thing the plastic store bags are good for once you have brought your groceries home (if they don't split on the way) is to clean the litter boxes and even then, I always use 2 because I just know that one has a hole that I didn't see.
                        I did the same when I still had my kitties. Problem was, I generally didn't go shopping often enough to have more than I needed -- so I'd run out fairly often!
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
                          Carry your bags in your car where you carry your purse. When you get in the car, knowing that you are going somewhere that you might need bags, put your purse under the bags.
                          Or get some that fold up and can be carried in your purse. Take that advice with a grain of salt; I have them and they aren't in my purse. In fact, I'm not even sure where they are.
                          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I don't have a car, so I take the bus everywhere that I can usually. And 90% of the time I'll have my backpack with me. I keep 3-4 of the permanent bags from Sobeys in it, so if I have shopping, it either goes in the bookbag, or I have a bag for it ready.

Really I love those permanent bags more than plastic bags since they are more durable and I can get a lot more into them. Even if something has a handle, I'll often put it in a bag so I can carry it easier with everything else. I've often put 2 12-packs in a bag and carried it easily with the rest of my stuff. (or 12 1L apple juices in a bag).

If I'm on my bike and I'm grocery shopping, I'll have my saddlebags and my backpack. Usually I plan right and can get everything in the saddlebags and backpack but if I need to, the extra bags are on hand as well.

The only plastic bags I still get regularly is from my comic shop every 2 weeks or so. He's got nice thick bags that hold the books well, so they're protected in my bookbag from everything else. Even if he only has the paper bags, they still keep everything together and protected. But overall, 90% of my regular shopping, I bring my own bag and rarely am without them.

Now if my parents would only get into that habit.... Well, Walmart has recently started charging for bags in my neck of the woods, so maybe they'll start remembering more often now.

Comment

Quoth Ben_Who View Post
                              I hate plastic bags. I hate the way they clutter up my house and I hate throwing them away and I hate trying to reuse them until they turn into lace and dump four pounds of canned goods all over the parking lot. But I always forget my reusable bags. I leave them in the car, I leave them in the house, I get to the store and see the sign: "Did you remember your reusable bags?" and think "Crap, now they tell me."

Basically I hate myself, is what I'm saying.
                              I love those bags. I have at least 4 little garbage cans in my house that are the correct size to use those bags as liners. But I also have a car trunk full of reusable bags which I actually use these days, so every so often I go onto Freecycle and ask for plastic grocery bags. I usually get a huge pile which lasts me a few more months, thus proving that one man's trash really *is* another man's treasure!

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                                Or get some that fold up and can be carried in your purse. Take that advice with a grain of salt; I have them and they aren't in my purse. In fact, I'm not even sure where they are.
                                I have one to carry in my purse. Went shopping at Bullseye (hadn't been there in months) and was on my way out to my car before I remembered.
                                "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

Working...
                                X