Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > Sucky Customers

Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2019, 09:14 PM
Ummm, you know

Quote:
Quoth Mental_Mouse View Post
In my case, they were printing the transactions in my bankbook. Remember bankbooks?
I still have a couple old ones I hung on to!

Old 12-01-2019, 11:05 PM
Warning: He thinks he's funny.

Quote:
Quoth EricKei View Post
Minflick - There was a time when it was typical for mail to be addressed to "Mr. and Mrs. Man'sName" ....
Evidently one term for that is "male-identified". Used as an insult in the feminist community, as I found out when my GF's roommate was mad at her.

Old 12-04-2019, 04:37 AM
stressed out broke pizza guy

Location: In the land of Green and Gold eating Pepperoni with an UZI

Quote:
Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
Hold up hands, who here remembers when the debit cards first came in? I remember there were no actual ATMs, they ran a credit card slip at the customer service desk of a grocery and then they handed the money over =)
I remember back in the 1960's everything was on paper in triplicate with carbon paper. parents had a Sears CC and all of the registers were eletro-mechanical no internet or network and I believe all of the transactions had to be entered and "uploaded" by hand every day. NO instant access to anything.

Quote:
Quoth Mental_Mouse View Post
In my case, they were printing the transactions in my bankbook. Remember bankbooks?
yes I do remember the printed passbook. that stayed around til the early 1980's when networks got better and faster. Then remote ATMs became a thing

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Old 12-08-2019, 01:21 PM
Bagger

My Grandmother was widowed around 1950. Between that time and her death 48 years later, she had a checking account. As far back as I can remember, my mother had a her own checking account, but she also had a job.

Many of Grammie's generation or the next didn't have credit cards though. They saved up and paid for things rather than use credit. Buying something 'on time' was restricted to once in a lifetime purchases, like a house. Remember Christmas Clubs and lay-away? I don't think my parents (father born in 1919, mother in 1929) ever took out a loan for a car.

I also remember the devices that imprinted the credit card info on the three-piece receipt with carbon paper in between. We were instructed to make sure the customer SAW us tear up the carbons, so no one would accuse our personnel of holding onto the number and using it later.

Last edited by workerbee222; 12-08-2019 at 01:33 PM.

Old 12-08-2019, 03:38 PM
RVT

Quote:
Quoth EricKei View Post
Minflick - There was a time when it was typical for mail to be addressed to "Mr. and Mrs. Man'sName" -- I can only hypothesize that some folks (such as your guy above) take that to a [Fratchworthy] extreme.
Yeah, I know. But even my grandmother, born in 1901, had her own name on the checks. Grandpa's name was top line. Grandma's name was second line. And I never thought of my grandparents are particularly forward thinking, you know? They were plenty conservative about a lot of things, but her name was on the money. Mom was single, so dad's name wasn't on checks by the time I knew what a check was. So to see somebody my age be so retro really threw me for a loop! I felt like her identity wasn't important to him or it wouldn't have been like that. That she was more My Wife than Actual Woman's Name, who is my wife. They were newly married, so in one fell swoop, her name vanished, at least on the check book. That really struck me, and offended me, so deeply I nearly couldn't put it into words. It was just WRONG!

Old 12-08-2019, 08:14 PM
Assistant Manager

Quote:
Quoth workerbee222 View Post

I also remember the devices that imprinted the credit card info on the three-piece receipt with carbon paper in between. We were instructed to make sure the customer SAW us tear up the carbons, so no one would accuse our personnel of holding onto the number and using it later.
we called them click clack machines. The last time I saw one was about 15 years ago when the supermarket I worked at lost power. we pulled them out to get through the customers orders that hadn't been finalized.

Old 12-08-2019, 11:39 PM
Front End Supervisor

Quote:
Quoth dawnfire View Post
we called them click clack machines. The last time I saw one was about 15 years ago when the supermarket I worked at lost power. we pulled them out to get through the customers orders that hadn't been finalized.
The last time I saw one was maybe two weeks ago! I was in a small rural town for a craft festival, and they’d lost mobile connectivity to the biggest phone provider thanks to high winds and bushfires doing a number on some hardware. Places that had landline access to the banking system were fine; places that were using mobile access (and all the vendors that were in town just for the weekend) were out of luck. Most were just dealing in cash but one had an old click-clack.

Old 12-09-2019, 12:42 PM
Front End Supervisor

AH yes, the old knuckle grinder machines. My grandfather had one at his gas station