This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well fuck . . .

So on the 11th of January I went to the ER because I had been having severe stomach pain and vomiting. They did some tests, put me on IV, ran some more tests then told me I had the flu and to eat mild food for the next 3 days. Great . . .

Today I got a statement from my former health insurance. Apparently they had tried to bill my former insurance. Needless to say they didn't cover a penny of it. When I had gotten married I switched over to my husband's insurance. Instead of asking for my insurance at the ER they just went off my previous information (I had been there once before the marriage) and billed them instead.

The bill is over $8000.

Hehe . . . I don't have $800 let alone a thousand of that. I called the billing office and of course, they're closed. Left a message but I'm a little panicked at the moment. Trying to remain calm and positive but I can't help but think that my current insurance will use some obscure policy to fuck me over and say "Well the claim wasn't submitted in X and X amount of time so we won't cover it" and I'll be stuck with another thousand dollar debt.

Hoping for the best and preparing for the worst. This really sucks. I was really hoping to get rid or at least significantly reduce one of my debts this year. I really don't want to get stuck with another one. I really wish I had been in the right state of mind at the time to give them my new insurance card, but being nearly incapacitated with stomach pain it wasn't exactly on my mind at the time. Though now that I think about it last time I went they sure didn't hesitate to ask for the copay while I was being treated (classy). Hindsight 20/20 and all . . .

Please don't let me get fucked over by this.

OMG ... hope everything works out for you ...

Comment

You should be able to manually submit the claim to insurance. It's done all the time here. The hospital may not be able to direct bill anymore (we have a seven day billing window in most places) but I don't see any issues with manual.

I wish you all the luck in resolving this!!
      Last edited by Slayer; 02-05-2013, 03:41 AM.

Comment

You should be able to call their business/billing office, give them the current insurance info, and have them resubmit. It's scary seeing those big numbers, but they resubmit to insurance all the time.
        That is so full of suck Dyson doesn't know how they did it - shankyknitter

Comment

Stay on it and try not to panic.

It may be when you update your insurance info, you'll be OK.

Fingers crossed for you.
          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Well, some good news. Last night I called my current insurance and the person I spoke with assured me that as long as the billing department at the hospital resubmits the claim to them they will cover it. I got in contact with someone from billing today and submitted my new insurance information. She said she'd resubmit it to them. So nice sigh of relief from me.

Comment

Huzzah! Glad to hear it's working out OK!

Comment

Working...
              X