Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unsolicited skin care advice, got to love it...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unsolicited skin care advice, got to love it...

Once at the drive-thru, I was handing this woman her change when, suddenly, out of the clear blue sky, she said,
    "You need to get a tan! You're too pale!"

I was tempted to reply,
    "You should look into getting what Michael Jackson uses and lighten your skin!"

I didn't say it, and I wasn't offended, because I'm proud of my pallor. I was more baffled by this woman's tactless ignorance. Jeez, hasn't it been proven, time and again, that tanning is horrible for your skin? I'm a sunscreen devotee, and I use it even in fall and winter. I'm Irish/British in heritage... the sun is NOT my friend.

I like being pale, anyway. Better than bathing in self-tanning lotions and ending up looking like an Oompa Loompa or Paris Hilton.
    "I used to be Snow White... but I drifted."~Mae West

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...mit/suntan.jpg

Warning: Healthy tan may cause nausea
    Last edited by rvdammit; 10-24-2007, 01:51 PM. Reason: to include warning
    ludo ergo sum

Comment

HERE HERE!! I am Irish/Norweigian, I am as white as you get without going translucent. I worship sunscreen year round as well. The problem is we were born 100 years too late. If we were around in the Victorian era we would be worshipped for our pale beauty. I also don't tan at all. Even if I tried, I turn lobster red, then that fades to pink, then white again.

If you do ever want just a touch of color, this year banana boat came out with an adjustable self tanner that I was able to use on my legs for the summer that did not go orange.
      The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Quoth Marxfan View Post
        I didn't say it, and I wasn't offended, because I'm proud of my pallor. I was more baffled by this woman's tactless ignorance. Jeez, hasn't it been proven, time and again, that tanning is horrible for your skin? I'm a sunscreen devotee, and I use it even in fall and winter. I'm Irish/British in heritage... the sun is NOT my friend.
        For what it's worth, I think fair skin is beautiful. My sister has very fair skin, and I'm pale enought that I got burnt one day when it was overcast, but I still wish I could be as pale as her sometimes. She's had people say something to her too. Those people are probably jealous.

We're partly Irish ourselves.

Besides, couldn't what that person said to you be considered a racist remark, or at least an ethnic slur? I bet they would never dream of going up to a black person and screaming "you're too dark!"
        Last edited by Rubystars; 10-24-2007, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Yeah, I don't really tan either. If it looks like I've gotten a tan, start being sympathetic- That means that I'm pretty sunburned and most likely in a lot of pain.

I hate when people tell me I should get a tan though. For one, tanning is really bad for your skin. Also, I'm proud to be pale as all get-out. I feel like it's my proof of being a female gamer. I never leave the house if I can help it. -grin-

I'm not sure where that lady got the idea that she could tell you what you should do with your own skin though. It's almost offensive. Besides, what would she care? She'll never see you again.

Comment

SO much ignorance! With all these ignorant people stories this morning I think I'm going to cut off my head (figuratively speaking).

I don't tan either, but I also don't burn. I am an odd person. lol. I think I reflect sun. It took me all summer to get this tiny itty bitty colour to my skin. I stopped caring about getting a tan when I was younger. Atleast I won't have melanoma or age faster (ie. wrinkles) or get sun spots when I get older.
            Be like the flower that perfumes the very hand that crushes it.

Comment

Quoth Rubystars View Post
              I bet they would never dream of going up to a black person and screaming "you're too dark!"
              I would NOT want to be anywhere near them at that point. I think anyone, black or white, within twenty feet would want to flying tackle them.

Comment

My skin is very white and I wouldn't have it any other way (I stopped wearing makeup because I couldn't find any light enough to match my skin tone ). People ask all the time if I am sick. I am not sick. When my face turns reddish, then I am sick.
                https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Quoth Chazzie View Post
                  I would NOT want to be anywhere near them at that point. I think anyone, black or white, within twenty feet would want to flying tackle them.
                  Double standards are interesting, aren't they?

Anyway, at the very least I don't think most people would look upon someone saying that in a friendly manner!

Comment

Quoth Rubystars View Post
                    Double standards are interesting, aren't they?

Anyway, at the very least I don't think most people would look upon someone saying that in a friendly manner!
                    Yeah, double standards when it comes to race can get hard to talk about without sounding racist yourself. I was actually looking at my post and going "... Is that racist, or just true?"

Comment

I hate customers who feel they have the right to comment on our personal appearance just because we are serving them.

How would she have reacted if you told her she needed a nose job?

"I don't know why you're so offended maam. I thought we were intimate enough with each other to discuss these things."

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Yay for pale people! I'm of Irish/German descent (more Irish than German) and burn reeeaaaal bad.

I agree with Banrion. We pale chicks were born just a few centuries too late. The paler you were, the more you were venerated because the pale chicks didn't work in the fields, so they were a little on the curvy side too. Man, dudes would have LOVED me in the 1800s...lol!

Comment

People who make ignorant remarks to me tend to have to hear an earful of stuff they don't really want to listen to. Too pale for what? What a stupid thing to say. Is there something wrong with pale skin? Is this woman under a rock and unaware of what habitual tanning can do to your face?

I don't tan. Oh, I WILL tan, often despite my best efforts. I'm a swarthy ethnic type. My skin tends to darken up easily. But I always wear sunscreen, especially on my face and neck. A hat. Sunglasses. Guess what? Nobody can guess my age because I have no wrinkles and I have youthful looking skin. Coincidence? I think not.

If I feel like I want a little color, a careful application of self tanner works well, and I don't have a problem with it being orange. It tends to look natural on me. (Yeah, Banana Boat is a good color, you're right.) Also, I've had some luck with the Coppertone. Just don't go nuts with it and it will look natural.

Comment

Quoth Marxfan View Post
                            Once at the drive-thru, I was handing this woman her change when, suddenly, out of the clear blue sky, she said,
                            "You need to get a tan! You're too pale!"
                            I get that on a daily basis.

Quoth Banrion View Post
                            HERE HERE!! I am Irish/Norweigian, I am as white as you get without going translucent. I worship sunscreen year round as well. The problem is we were born 100 years too late. If we were around in the Victorian era we would be worshipped for our pale beauty. I also don't tan at all. Even if I tried, I turn lobster red, then that fades to pink, then white again.
                            Irish/Danish/etc. here. I burn, but never tan. The sun and I are not friends.

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
                            I stopped wearing makeup because I couldn't find any light enough to match my skin tone
                            I know how that goes.

Quoth Custard Chick View Post
                            Yay for pale people! I'm of Irish/German descent (more Irish than German) and burn reeeaaaal bad.
                            Are you a sibling I don't know about?

Quoth Custard Chick View Post
                            I agree with Banrion. We pale chicks were born just a few centuries too late. The paler you were, the more you were venerated because the pale chicks didn't work in the fields, so they were a little on the curvy side too. Man, dudes would have LOVED me in the 1800s...lol!
                            Oh, man, I could've been an absolute belle back then!!!
                            Unseen but seeing
                            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                            3rd shift needs love, too
                            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I used to work with this girl that would get comments on her acne all the time. Old ladies would come up to her and be like "Oh, dear, my granddaugher had to try blahblahblahblahblah" and shit like that. I'm with Boozy. I just don't understand why the hell SC's think they have free reign to critique anything about whoever is waiting on them.

You could also wear bronzing powder. Not that you need it, but I just think I look weird with pale skin. It adds a nice, natural glow and I get compliments a lot.
                              "If you are planning not to tip, please let your server know before ordering so they can decide whether or not to wait on you" - from an advice column I read some time ago

Comment

Working...
                              X