This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working with children...

Heh heh heh...I just remembered that I have quite a bit to contribute per my last security job. I cannot and will not say WHAT agency I was working contract under, but I will say it involves children. It was also third shift. That's about all I can say concerning the location, level of security, etc.

Now then...I'm not very good with children. Actually, to be specific, I'm not a very patient person in general and have quite a temper that fortunately, I can control, but unfortunately, requires me to vent pretty quick...OR IT'S YOUR ASS. We had a variety of characters brought in there via the police, but one sticks out in my mind right now.

For third shift, the doors are locked, but I can still let police, various workers, etc. in when necessary. If a kid walks, HE WALKS. I write it down and let the guys know in the back. That's it. It's not my job to chase your ass all night. Screw that. Of course, this leads to a number of problems...namely that the "children" know this.

It's also off limits for children to use the phone unless otherwise instructed (and they aren't). What happens one night? A 16 year old walks over to the phone all F*** this, picks it up, and starts dialing...

Me: "Hey, you need to put that down and go have a seat."
    SC: (One finger salute, continues dialing)
    Me: "Did you hear me?!" (Hold down receiver)
    SC: "Move your hand!"
    Me: "I don't think so. Go have a seat."
    SC: "M@#$ERF@#$ER, I SAID MOVE YO HAND!"
    Me: "And I said go have a seat."
    SC: "I'M BOUT TO WALK OUT THIS BITCH!"
    Me: "And?"
    SC: "..."
    Me: "I'm not going to stop you. If that's what you REALLY want, go. Otherwise, have a seat. They're trying to contact your sister right now. I can go ask them what's up if you'd like."

I had to do this THREE TIMES. She even threatened to spit on me. She ALSO claimed I assaulted her when I pushed her hand out of the way (yes, she'd gotten wise to the whole "hand over receiver" thing) and hit the receiver. The good news is that's pretty much as bad as it got.

I had kids threaten me, glare at me, curse me out, act like they were going to hit me, etc. Fun stuff. The funny part? Never had to beat the hell out of anyone. And trust me, I don't care what race, religion, gender, height, or WHAT you are, you touch me? You're going down. I worked security for five years and only one person ever threatened to hit me...and he backed down.

The funny part is I can't remember if she (yes, "she") walked or not. After she was gone, I relayed what happened to one of the guys in the back. She said "Why didn't you just do this?" and yanked the phone cord out of the wall! "Uh...I don't know. I guess I didn't think about it." Good times.

Oh yes...I guess I better learn how to get along better with kids considering I have an 18 month old, huh?
    You can find me on Backloggery, Facebook, Twitch, Twitter, YouTube

I think you'll be okay with your kid. Obviously your baby isn't going to grow up into one of those snots who has never been punished.

I can't believe some people. I was sixteen like seven years ago and I would have never acted like that. It's sick. I would have never challenged an adult on anything. What happened to this generation?

Comment

I knew a kid that went all crazy, attacked a cop while being dragged out of school, punched out the principal, tried to do the cop again, then finally got cuffed and dragged out. I can't even remember WHY he acted like that in the first place. I was a kid once...I know what kinds of crazy shit they can do, but yes, as far as being absolutely defiant toward adults and authority in general?

I guess it made sense considering the place, but not really. There were other situations that were bad, but never THAT bad. Mostly, I just had kids that were trying to bug me while I was studying or playing my DS.

Comment

My brother once got in a fist fight with an English teacher who didn't believe in dyslexia. She got fired, he got detention.

Comment

Quoth edible_hat View Post
          My brother once got in a fist fight with an English teacher who didn't believe in dyslexia. She got fired, he got detention.
          And they wonder why the American education system is in the state its in.
          How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

Well I'm actually in Australia, but the way things are going we'll become the 51st State pretty soon. I had a customer at work the other day give me a nickel in the handful of change he paid with.

Comment

Quoth Anakah View Post
              I can't believe some people. I was sixteen like seven years ago and I would have never acted like that. It's sick. I would have never challenged an adult on anything. What happened to this generation?
              Lack of discipline.

There are so many parents out there afraid of giving their children any form of punishment that the kids end up growing up with absolutely no respect for adults because their own parents were spinless wimps.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I work in a public school and in a non-teacher and non-union position but I position that requires that I work with the students and with teachers.

If you think parents are bad about discipline you should see these teachers sometimes. I understand that their hands have been tied by the law, but seriously kids get 4th 5th even 6th chances and warnings about EVERYTHING. Even at that the teachers are skittish about meeting out any kind of discipline.

I co-teach one class and I have to say that I never have any discipline problems. I'm not particularly big physically and I'm not built or anything but I virtually never have problems with students and even when I do I rarely have to do more than raise my voice to end it. I've shut down high school football players with several inches and thirty pounds on me.

The big difference between me and the teachers is that I WILL tell the kids to sit down and shut up. I do not take any crap from any of them EVER and the kids all know it. The funny thing is most of the "Discipline Problem" students, love my class and since it's elective they take it over and over again. Most bad kids deep down are looking for discipline somewhere because they don't get any at home.
                You mess with me, you dance in the dark!

Comment

Well I'm actually in Australia, but the way things are going we'll become the 51st State pretty soon. I had a customer at work the other day give me a nickel in the handful of change he paid with.
                  Sweet, maybe that'll make it cheaper to travel there! Australia is pretty much at the top of places I want to go.

I see all these education majors at my school, and the only thing I can think of is "Are you freaking crazy?" The way my fellow students back in middle school and high school treated the teachers, I would never think about teaching. My classmates have made teachers cry! I just don't understand the point of this? Besides making an attempt at ruining someone else's life, your wasting your time and education. If that's all you are going to do when you go to school, do everyone else a favor and drop out.
                  "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

"Didn't belive in dyslexia???" What, did she think it was like the tooth fairy or something?

"Didn't believe in dyslexia"

I'm sorry, I'm just like over here.

This folks is why I am continuing to stay in my job and not quit like I'd like to do to be a stay at home mom. Because I would like to try and send my daughter to a private school.

Not that I think that will immunize her against asshats like this, but at least if I'm laying out some serious coin, I can hopefully have more say if I happen to come across this kind of stupidity.

"Didn't believe in dyslexia." These are the people in charge of educating future generation. God, are we in trouble.

Comment

I don't want any kids, but if it ever happens, they are being homeschooled. Maybe I'm just a snob, but I refuse to expose my own flesh and blood to the offspring of my ex classmates and other people my age. I figure if my peers are as stupid as they are, their children are going to be worse. I want better for my children than to grow up mixed in with the statistics of drop outs and idiot teenagers that exist now and probably will spiral to even worse levels.
                      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

The one big danger regarding home-schooling is that the kids end up being insulated and isolated and when they get older don't have the socialization skills they should.

Also, they're going to have to deal with these losers when they get older, so it's probably a good idea to get them used to it early.

^-.-^
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                          The one big danger regarding home-schooling is that the kids end up being insulated and isolated and when they get older don't have the socialization skills they should.

Also, they're going to have to deal with these losers when they get older, so it's probably a good idea to get them used to it early.

^-.-^
                          This is a great point. My current roommate was homeschooled, and as much as I love the guy, he's got next to no social skills. Now, I hated the public school system as much as, if not more than, the next guy, but there're always schools big enough to offer varying degrees of education. About the only thing that was good about my high school was the fact that they had math up to Calculus, and AP courses for all the other major branches. That's my two cents, just be careful before you isolate your kids from the rest of the world. You learn more at school than just what's in the books.
                          If ignorance is bliss, no wonder I'm so unhappy.

Comment

My sister and her husband homeschool. The homeschooling program has organized get-togethers all the time so the kids can get socialized. They get the best of both worlds. Except that my nephew is old enough now to have figured out that kids that go to public school get summer off.

Comment

Nid'dt lebieve ni lysdexia?

Comment

Working...
                              X