Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The homeschooling program has organized get-togethers all the time so the kids can get socialized. They get the best of both worlds.
    Even then, parents still have to be careful. I know someone who was homeschooled and hung out with other homeschooled kids, presumeably because their parents felt it was important they socialize. The whol thing just turned out a large group of insulated young people. Normal schooling provides some variety of backgrounds, I think. Even private school, which is what I did. Not saying good homeschooling and socialization is impossible, but it certainly is daunting.

Comment

I see what you are saying, but my sister's situation is a little different.
      My sister has to homeschool because she lives in a rural town that has very few kids, so the choice is homeschool and socialize once a week with other kids in the same situation from other rural towns or pay thru the nose and drive quite a distance every day an send them to private school (actually that closed and that isn't even an option anymore). There is an excellent cross section of backgrounds and economic levels.
      My sis owns a theatre company so don't worry, they get exposed to all kinds of *edit* actor behavior *edit*. Those of you that have been around a group of actors for any lenth of time know what I'm talking about.
      Last edited by auntiem; 10-26-2007, 11:50 PM.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
        "Didn't belive in dyslexia???" What, did she think it was like the tooth fairy or something?
        She thought it was just willful stupidity and attention seeking.

Another teacher told him he'd never finish high school... but thanks to his year 9 English teacher (who said "I'd give up being able to spell if it meant I could have your imagination"), our parents, and a local dyslexia support group he's got himself a BA(hons) in film production and is starting his own business.

Comment

Quoth Shengirl View Post
          Even then, parents still have to be careful. I know someone who was homeschooled and hung out with other homeschooled kids, presumeably because their parents felt it was important they socialize. The whol thing just turned out a large group of insulated young people.
          And, frankly, that's a major part of the problem I have with the idea of homeschooling.

No offense to anyone here, but most of the parents I've met that insist on homeschooling their children are pretty much Triple-Stick Fundies that shit a brick at the thought of their Precious Darlings' minds being exposed to concepts like other religions, Evolution, sub-cultures, and the rougher elements of life. The fact that people like that all get together and have group outings for their kids only means they reinforce the idea that EVERYONE thinks like they do, since they're meeting other Grown Ups and kids saying the same party-line.

They can't become actual, fully functional, persons until they've made an INFORMED decision about their beliefs, and their parents are fighting tooth and nail to keep them good little Sheeple. It, honestly, makes me sick to see parents doing that to their children.
          ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
          And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

JustADude, that is precisely it. Although auntiem's niece sounds safe. A childhood around actors almost has to turn out an interesting character of a kid.

Comment

Lysdexia Happens. But I refuse to allow my students use it as an excuse not to learn the material.

Now I need to go change my sig, as I just thought of a much better one.
              Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post
                No offense to anyone here, but most of the parents I've met that insist on homeschooling their children are pretty much Triple-Stick Fundies that shit a brick at the thought of their Precious Darlings' minds being exposed to concepts like other religions, Evolution, sub-cultures, and the rougher elements of life. The fact that people like that all get together and have group outings for their kids only means they reinforce the idea that EVERYONE thinks like they do, since they're meeting other Grown Ups and kids saying the same party-line.
                Just a point here:

You feel that way about home schooling because those are the cases you know of. The only home schoolers who usually make the news are the nuts. There are a LOT of non-fundie, indeed even non-religious, home schooling parents out there. Like most other things, the good ones, even though they are in the majority, don't get heard about. Good news doesn't usually make for much of a story.

Good home schoolers will make sure that their kids are involved in sports and take them to places where they can freely associate with other kids, like parks. Hell, I went to public schools and, thanks to years of bullies and being afraid to fight back, I was backwords and unsocialable for years. Home schooling is much more mainstream now, with support groups and web sites run by teachers to help parents do it. The fundies don't run it anymore, and you wouldn't know most home schooled people unless they told you.

**EDIT** Hmm, re-reading this, I come off a little harsh on you. Not what I meant to do, but tone of voice doesn't translate well to typing. Its a topic I tend to get into debates over (a couple of friends are teachers), so I'm a little passionate about it. Apologies if it seems a little rough.
                The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                  **EDIT** Hmm, re-reading this, I come off a little harsh on you. Not what I meant to do, but tone of voice doesn't translate well to typing. Its a topic I tend to get into debates over (a couple of friends are teachers), so I'm a little passionate about it. Apologies if it seems a little rough.
                  No worries, it's cool. My point, really, was that it's just so EASY for people to do it wrong that it worries me. If the time and effort of supporting home-schooling was spent eradicating bullying and funding public schools, we wouldn't have the need for it.

Of course, I also believe Schools should have all the money they want for equipment and the military should be used STRICTLY for internal defense... much like the way Japan's SDF is set up.
                  ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                  And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Quoth auntiem View Post
                    My sister has to homeschool because she lives in a rural town that has very few kids, so the choice is homeschool and socialize once a week with other kids in the same situation from other rural towns or pay thru the nose and drive quite a distance every day an send them to private school (actually that closed and that isn't even an option anymore).
                    What your sister needs is School of the Air. Maybe your sister and a bunch of other remote area farmers within the same radio-beacon reach could organise one.

Or maybe once she's done the research, she'll find out that what she's doing is just as good. I honestly don't know! But School of the Air has been doing remote-area education since the days of the pedal radio, so I'd imagine there are some tricks your sister and her friends can swap with them.
                    Seshat's self-help guide:
                    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post
                      My point, really, was that it's just so EASY for people to do it wrong
                      To (mis?)quote the Cat from Red Dwarf: The problem is I'm entirely self-taught, and since I didn't know anything to begin with...

Comment

Working...
                      X