Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nothing like a little anti-Semitism at work.....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In my days delivering pizza, I got stopped by a police officer once, and wound up getting two tickets.
    One was for "misuse of plates" and one for failing to stop at a stop sign.

When I got to meet with the prosecutor before court, I explained that the "misuse of plates" was that, because the Temporary Plate I had been issued was made of paper, I had put it on over an old license plate I had to keep it stiff. The plate I was accused of "misusing" was not visable, as it was completely covered by the paper Temporary Plate. He agreed that charge should be dropped.

Then I told him that I did, in fact, come to a full stop at that stop sign, and he turns to a colleague and says, "I gave him a deal on the plates, and now he's trying to Jew me on the stop sign."
    I was so shocked I couldn't speak. It was the first time I had ever heard that expression, and I am still angry that I didn't report him to the judge. It has been decades.

Comment

Quoth KaySquirrel View Post
      Afterwards, I relayed this call to an Irish coworker who confirmed that the term 'Irish' is often used for something that doesn't make sense. I don't think the customer meant any harm with the term, but it might make her think twice about using it again -- especially to someone who obviously isn't from around here!
      Odd. I've never heard that usage before. I would have assumed she was accusing the company of getting into drunken brawls at the local pub. Also, I might have responded along the lines of "I fail to see how drunken brawling concerns company policy" just to see how she'd react.

Also, while we're on the subject of oddly derived ethnic phrases, one particular phrase I've heard in the South is "Well, that's mighty white of you," usually used in a sarcastic fashion to someone who is being inconsiderate or possibly stingy to you. Alternatively, it can be used (still sarcastically) when someone is offering a very small compensation or concession (like you had your hand cut off in a Burger King, and all the manager gives you is a free Whopper) for something that should deserve more.

Anyone else familiar with this one?
      Last edited by Record Store Tough Guy; 06-10-2008, 04:42 PM. Reason: fixed a typo

Comment

Quoth draftermatt View Post

I'll leave you with two quotes from a friend of mine, that got him much grief from me.

"You know, Halle Berry would be really hot if she wasn't black"
        and
        "I'd rather they allow people to chew gum at Disney World than them allowing gay people in"
        Wow. That person wouldn't remain my 'friend' for very long.
        Ah, tally-ho, yippety-dip, and zing zang spillip! Looking forward to bullying off for the final chukka?

Comment

Quoth Record Store Tough Guy View Post
          Also, while we're on the subject of oddly derived ethnic phrases, one particular phrase I've heard in the South is "Well, that's mighty white of you," usually used in a sarcastic fashion to someone who is being inconsiderate or possibly stingy to you.
          Never heard that one and I've lived all over the south east.

Might be a Texas thing, as ya know they call themselves Southerners but they aren't. I've noticed that the people around here (mostly teenagers) are still worried about communists. WTF, right? Where I'm from, that's not heard of because no one gives a flying Frick about communism. Yet people talk about it day in and day out here.

It's a boring subject and it'll never happen in the US. Get me outta here!
          Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Odd. I've never heard that usage before. I would have assumed she was accusing the company of getting into drunken brawls at the local pub.
            Well, then that would've applied to the bunch of geniuses up behind us at "Indiana Jones"!
            It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Also, while we're on the subject of oddly derived ethnic phrases, one particular phrase I've heard in the South is "Well, that's mighty white of you," usually used in a sarcastic fashion to someone who is being inconsiderate or possibly stingy to you. Alternatively, it can be used (still sarcastically) when someone is offering a very small compensation or concession (like you had your hand cut off in a Burger King, and all the manager gives you is a free Whopper) for something that should deserve more.

I heard it a lot, when I lived in Alabama. It was the most bizzare thing. I NEVER heard the n-word, but I heard that phrase a lot.
              It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

Comment

Quoth Bradester View Post
                Wow. That person wouldn't remain my 'friend' for very long.
                I'd say "Same here", but I have a very personal experience which proves pretty damn well that "One can never know".

Weirder things have happened.
                "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

Yeah, I'm familiar with the "mighty white of you" phrase. I think the point of that statement is to meet absurdity with absurdity. The guy at Burger King thinks he's being magnanimous by giving a burger in exchange for a severed hand. "It's mighty white of him" because the idea is that only a white person would be so magnanimous and generous in going so "overboard" in making amends. That's even more absurd.

I dont' think it's meant as a racial slur, just as a way to show absurdity. I've heard people go even further into the absurd by saying "That's mighty white anglo saxon protestant male of you."

No, I don't use the phrase. But in the context it's used, it's not usually meant to be offensive, just ridiculous.

Comment

"Well, that's mighty white of you,"

Yes, but not since I was a kid, in the mid '70's. My older brother was overly fond of that one, and would use it when I would grudgingly, and barely, share something with him.
                    Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Working...
                    X