Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nothing like a little anti-Semitism at work.....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth protege View Post
    people would use it for inanimate objects. As in, "that car is gay." Uh, last time I checked, it's either "a piece of shit," "looks like shit," etc.
    That's when you tell them "No way, dude! That car's a-hunk-a-hunk-a burning love!"
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth marasbaras View Post
      Doesn't "gyped" from from a shortening of gypsies who DID rip people off?

And to use "Jew" as a verb, tasteless.
      Yep. It's the same kinda word used the same kinda way.

However, that doesn't make it less offensive to those of Rromany descent who aren't thieves and con artists. And there are plenty of them.

Oh, and Jester, I know that's not your real name, I was being silly.
      Last edited by RecoveringKinkoid; 06-05-2008, 05:43 PM.

Comment

:O

I had no idea that "gypped" had that origin. And now I feel terrible for having used it.

Comment

About the origin of "Gyp"

"As described in Victor Hugo's novel The Hunchback of Notre Dame, the medieval French referred to the Roma as "egyptiens". This ethnonym is not used by the Roma to describe themselves, and is often considered pejorative (as is the term "gyp", meaning "to cheat", a reference to the suspicion the Roma engendered)"

As for the Jew comment, let me just say this. I have nothing but respect for the jewish religion and do not have an anti-semitic bone in my body.

Having said that I once took a call at the call center from a person who wanted at least three different credits/discounts on the same call. I can't remember the name, but it was something like "Shalom Goldstein" in the sense that it seemed to be an obviously jewish name.

Now as we know from this site, people of all ethnicities do sometimes act like my caller, and in the thousands of calls I took there, I didn't encounter anyone else like him, but I did talk to some very friendly jewish people.
          "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
            That's when you tell them "No way, dude! That car's a-hunk-a-hunk-a burning love!"
            had I been drinking I would have just had a rule #1 violation...

Oh and I too hate people who use phrases that they have no idea what the meaning is. I'll admit I've used the phrase "jew it down before" but that was with a good friend who I knew would understand it as a joke rather than a racist comment (the exact situation was he was buying a used car and he made the comment about how he was disappointed that he couldn't get a better price and I made the comment "but I thought you were good at that type of stuff... guess the phrase jewing it down needs to be reconsidered"... I probably should point out that there was a long standing joke between us that as a Jew he would never pay full price for anything and as a Scot, I'm 1/4 Scot, I would just never pay for anything).

Anyway, back on topic, in the OP the woman involved had never met Jester before and it was not said as part of an ongoing joke between friends, it was just plain offensive.
            Just like the people who use "gay" to describe things, events, and actions... last time I checked gay referred to one's sexual preference and 99% of what people call "gay" has nothing to do with sexual preference (ie, that sounded so gay... really, I've never met 2 gay guys who sounded alike so they must not have gotten the sound down perfect yet, or that looks so gay, really, never seen 2 gay guys who looked alike so I guess they just haven't gotten the look down perfect, or that's such a gay car... really the car has sexual attractions to other cars of the same gender)

My other pet peeve is the people who throw around the word cult or cultist. Just because someone doesn't belong to the same church as you doesn't make their church a cult... yes there are some groups that can legitimately be called cults, but I'm sorry, the Mormon church, not a cult, the Catholic church, not a cult, the First Unity Christian Church (or whatever it is that Senator Obama belongs to) not a cult... would people stop calling them cults and stop calling the members cultists... please... unless the church is preaching something truly insane like you must kill yourself so you can reunite with the mothership at exactly 11:55pm on October 21st or you will be damned to hell they shouldn't be called a cult, sect possibly, cult no.
            If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth the_std View Post
              :O

I had no idea that "gypped" had that origin. And now I feel terrible for having used it.
              Well, you shouldn't feel terrible, your intent was not malicious. And with words that are getting kind of obscure, like that one, it can often be assumed nothing bad was meant by it.

Now the term "Jewing down" carries a little more nasty intent, I think. It's kind of hard to hide the origin of that, the word "Jew" is right there in the phrase. I will allow that so is the word "gyp" in my example, but it's watered down a bit and not so obvious.

It's just good to know where some words come from, because some of them have not-so-nice origin. The word can certainly be offensive, and is often used offensively, but it's pretty easy to tell when someone is trying to imply something ugly and when they aren't.

Heck, look at it this way: the word "gypsy" is not considered a very progressive word in some circles. The word Rromany or Romany is preferred. However, most of the general populous have no idea what a Rromany is. So sometimes the word gets used for simplicity. You make allowances for intent.
              Last edited by RecoveringKinkoid; 06-05-2008, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                Just like the people who use "gay" to describe things, events, and actions... last time I checked gay referred to one's sexual preference and 99% of what people call "gay" has nothing to do with sexual preference.
                I rather prefer the original entomology to the word Gay. I.E. Happy.
                From Dictionary.com (reference link)

Gay /geɪ/ Pronunciation Key [gey]
                adjective, -er, -est, noun, adverb
                –adjective
                1. having or showing a merry, lively mood: gay spirits; gay music.
                2. bright or showy: gay colors; gay ornaments.
                3. given to or abounding in social or other pleasures: a gay social season.
                4. licentious; dissipated; wanton: The baron is a gay old rogue with an eye for the ladies.
                5. homosexual.
                6. of, indicating, or supporting homosexual interests or issues: a gay organization.
                –noun
                7. a homosexual person, esp. a male.
                –adverb
                8. in a gay manner.

—Synonyms 1. gleeful, jovial, glad, joyous, happy, cheerful, sprightly, blithe, airy, light-hearted; vivacious, frolicsome, sportive, hilarious. Gay, jolly, joyful, merry describe a happy or light-hearted mood. Gay suggests a lightness of heart or liveliness of mood that is openly manifested: when hearts were young and gay. Jolly indicates a good-humored, natural, expansive gaiety of mood or disposition: a jolly crowd at a party. Joyful suggests gladness, happiness, rejoicing: joyful over the good news. Merry is often interchangeable with gay: a merry disposition; a merry party; it suggests, even more than the latter, convivial animated enjoyment. 2. brilliant.
                —Antonyms 1. unhappy, mournful.
                Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

touche... and I kinda wish that we could go back to those times...
                  If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

I, too, used the word 'gyp' growing up but never knew it had that origin. In fact, until I read this thread, I had always thought and imagined it spelled 'jip'.
                    My dollhouse blog.

Blog about life

Comment

touche... and I kinda wish that we could go back to those times...
                      You and me both, dear. I'd like to know who had the bright idea to use the word "Gay" as a sexual preference? I mean, if you really think about it, it doesn't make a lot of sense.

Comment

You and me both, dear. I'd like to know who had the bright idea to use the word "Gay" as a sexual preference? I mean, if you really think about it, it doesn't make a lot of sense.
                        My only guess would be that it comes from the stereotype of the flamboyantly cheerful gay man but even that's maybe stretching it. Hopefully it being used as an insult will fade away after some time.
                        "Man, having a conversation with you is like walking through a salvador dali painting." - Mac Hall

Comment

I remember reading a very, very old book in high school, recommended by the librarian that was titled, "Our Hearts were Young and Gay". I don't recall the author but I do know I enjoyed its story about a family growing up in the Roaring 20's. I also remember having to use a verbal rolled up newspaper to tell my schoolmates to grow up when they saw the title.

They had no idea that there was another definition of the word either, just as I hadn't known the history behind 'gyp'. I also thought it was spelled 'jip' (I never actually wrote it out before), and that it was honestly a less blunt term than saying, 'I got cheated'. Learn something new every day, eh?
                          "You are the dumbest smart person I have ever met in my life!" Will Smith, 'I, Robot'.

"You LOSE! Good day, sir!" Gene Wilder, 'Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory'.

Comment

My mom used to use that phrase. I remember hearing her say it about my former brother-in-law, who DID come from a Jewish family (so, he jewed 'em down...).

"Uh, Mom? I really hate that phrase. It's anti-Semitic."

Surprisingly enough, she didn't take offense, and didn't use it again. Even though I was a teenager at the time, and she usually became VERY offended when I made mention of something she'd said.

As for other terms, it used to be thought that the Romany came from Egypt, hence "gypsy". I don't regard this as a racist term - inaccurate, yes. The Roma actually came from northern India.

I was extremely startled when I moved to Prague and discovered that the Czech word for a Polish male (man or boy) is "polak". Yes, pronounced just like it is in the States. I've told a few Czechs about the ridiculous attitude often given the Poles, the assumption that they're all stupid, and the response is, "Yeah? Really?" The Czechs have no such prejudice. Many of them do, however, hate the Roma with a passion, and xenophobia is strong here.

Rather odd, considering what happened during the Nazi era.

Comment

Now, who is to say that one can't be gay AND a hunk-a-hunk-a burning love? Exhibit A: Rock Hudson. 'Nuff said.

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
                              Having said that I once took a call at the call center from a person who wanted at least three different credits/discounts on the same call. I can't remember the name, but it was something like "Shalom Goldstein" in the sense that it seemed to be an obviously jewish name.
                              Oh, there is no doubt that there are indeed some very cheap Jews who not only live up to but exceed the stereotype. Generally speaking, they are an embarrassment to Jews as a group, just as lazy Hispanics and criminal blacks are an embarrassment to their larger groups, the majority of which are not like that.

I myself have dealt with some very cheap Jews that made me want to wring their neck. Of course, some of the cheapest people I have ever met were not in any way Jewish...they were just, as someone said, cheap bastards.

Anyway, back on topic, in the OP the woman involved had never met Jester before and it was not said as part of an ongoing joke between friends, it was just plain offensive.
                              Oh, I have friends who make cracks about my being Jewish all the time. It's different...they're my friends. I have made equivalent cracks about them in some way...but again, we are friends. Hell, in the college dorms, we would sit around playing one of those video games, and I got pretty good at a particular basketball game. So much so that some of the guys starting calling me "Jew Jordan." Was I offended? No. Why would I be? It was just good-natured friendly ribbing, and in that case, was actually rather alliterative.

But to say to a complete stranger who (according to some of my friends) does look rather Jewish "You can't Jew it down for me?" is completely and totally offensive, unacceptable, and ridiculous. And frankly, if a friend asked me that, and not in a good-ribbing kind of way, but to say "can I get a better deal dude?" I would be equally as offended.

It is all about context, and the context here was that of being an ignorant racist asshole.

My apologies to all the assholes out there that don't want to be lumped in the same group as this particular shithead.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                              Still A Customer."

Comment

I once worked for a small jewelry chain that was owned by a Jewish family. We had 9 stores in 2 states. We had a storewide company meeting one Sunday. All sales personnel, managers, etc. The owner gave a little talk and then proceeded to take questions. A new hotshot sales guy (at least in his own mind) stood up and asked "How do you deal with people who try to jew you down?"

You could have heard a pin drop and then the collective sound of 35 people gasping. The owner was gracious. The hot shot turned 15 shades of red. He was also gone the next week.
                                Moron.

Comment

Working...
                                X