Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm getting that autoplay video...it makes it almost impossible to post here anymore.

Comment

MJ (and others) -- If it comes back again:

- Do you have any way of screen-recording a brief video of it?

- If you hover over it (DON'T CLICK! ), does the target URL appear at the bottom of the browser or anything? If so, can you please type it up & screenshot it?
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Looks like the spinning fortune cookie ad is gone now.

Comment

Now it's back. I can only post if I'm lucky enough to not have that ad playing when I click on a new subforum.

Comment

Ugh. Were you able to capture any video/a screenshot or any other info to help tack it down? ^_^;>

PS, In the meantime, please allow me to make a suggestion -- for everybody. Snag the free version of SpyBot: Search & Destroy, run the updates, and then run "Immunization." It sets up blacklists in certain browsers (IE/Edge and FF, unsure which others) and in your Windows HOSTS file which cause ads & popups from known malicious sites to simply redirect to "localhost" as their source...so, even if your browsers doesn't have its popup blocker turned on, the worst you'll get from a blacklisted site is a completely empty popup window. This would explain why I've never seen any such problematic ads, myself The spyware scanner itself is quite helpful, as well.

SpyBot itself is true freeware, no ads, no limited uses/expiration, no hidden "helper" programs (from what I've seen), etc., just make sure to DL it via Safer Networking, their publisher (link below). Worst it'll do is show a plain box attached to the main window offering an upgrade.

Worth a shot!

https://www.safer-networking.org/
            Last edited by EricKei; 04-02-2017, 06:31 PM.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
              Ugh. Were you able to capture any video/a screenshot or any other info to help tack it down? ^_^;>

https://www.safer-networking.org/
              I have been looking for it but have not seen it however my work does block a lot of things anyways, at home if I happen to get on I use my iphone so I don't get ads the pop up most of the time I will still keep an eye out for u if I get on my desk top I will look out for it as well but since my husband is a computer tech by trade it may be blocked on my end as well at home.

Comment

Quoth Crossbow View Post
                If anyone gets an autoplay video ad that keeps grabbing focus away from the cursor, say something here. PPE and I have been trying to track it down, but it doesn't load for either of us so he can't find out who it is.

There's a red triangular logo in the upper right of the ad, but we've had no luck figuring out what company it is.

I have tracked down the majority of the ads causing the problem. It was actually a combination of advertisers, and even YouTube channels. My guess is that somebody out there is using a really broken video template all over the place and they have no idea that it isn't working.

Anywho - the offending advertisers and a fair number of individual ads have been blocked. For the most part, the effects should be immediate, but for some, it may take a little while before they are all blocked completely.

Hopefully this is the last of this, for a while
                Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Comment

great job thanks!

Comment

Problematic Ads...

Since the Problematics ads report'em,catch'em,kill'em thread has been closed,
                    I'll leave this one here.
                    https://imgur.com/a/k3RBy

It seems to be coming up on every page now.
                    I'm sure I am not 'guaranteed to be the millionth visitor and win an Apple product'. If it is genuine,you where to send my goodies to...
                    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

I merged your post with the original thread and reopened it.

Unfortunately, PPE hasn't been in in awhile. Hopefully he sees this.
                      Sometimes life is altered.
                      Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                      Uneasy with confrontation.
                      Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

I just emailed him at work.
                        "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

The singing dancing magic millionth maple leaves are back.Can't screenshot on this phone but it's exactly like last time's picture except it's showing 8/6 and not 1/2 as the date now...
                          The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Letting PPE know.
                            "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Much obliged, parder. *tips hat*

Comment

Working...
                              X