This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Panacea View Post
    CNAs give nurses a LOT of help: in some cases can even do some limited procedures (simple dressing changes).
    Much snippage.

Shouldn't most (able-bodied) adults be able to do simple dressing changes? Or are you talking about full sterile-wound & biohazard procedures?

IE: I wouldn't fret about doing a dressing change for my family, because I know what my loves carry in their blood.
    Seshat's self-help guide:
    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
      Shouldn't most (able-bodied) adults be able to do simple dressing changes?
      My guess is that Panacea was referring to what they are *permitted* to do, rather than what they are able to do "IRL" . Is this correct?
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

And this is why I love on-line registration.

Now I just need 5 more people to drop-class or not pay so that I can get bumped off the wait-list and into the chemistry class that I want.

Comment

Heh. I remember BEING these students. My mother was very insistent that I go straight from high school to college; it wasn't even discussed, really, just taken as read. As a result, I grew up believing that college was just an extension of regular school - High School II, if you will, with a meal plan. The idea that I had a CHOICE of classes literally never occurred to me, even within the same program.

I left college after a couple of years because I wasn't doing very well; when I decided to take another swing at it, this time with neither my mother's interference nor her help, I went down and got a catalog from the school bookstore.

And, as I was reading through it, light dawned: "Oh...THAT'S how it works."

Select a program, select courses that meet the requirements of that program, pass the courses, repeat until all requirements are fulfilled. If you don't like a particular course, you can drop it if you replace it with another course that fulfills the same requirement.

Duh.

It seems intuitive now, but people heading into college have just been through thirteen years of other people deciding every element of their schooling. Even people who understand it might find themselves spoilt for choice. It's no wonder I wasn't doing very well if I still had a high school mindset in college.

Procrastinators are a WHOLE other rant.

Comment

I... don't recall college being that hard to sign up for course wise. Of course, I got very lucky that my high school offered a "how to handle registration," in my senior year AND my mom wasn't the least bit controlling, because she had no clue what to do. Bonus was the college also had a separate section to walk new freshmen through the process!

That said, the amount of suck I saw was... special. I think during the years I was there, I witnessed waaaayyy too many helicopter parents ticked because their precious had to go through basic algebra rather than the required higher level for their course. *snort* Apparently, they'd been doing their kid's math work in high school, but couldn't take the SAT for 'em, so of COURSE they didn't get a good score there. Even I had to take basic! But unlike your kid, I did my own homework and tried to understand it. I just sucked at it!
            If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
              SC didn't know what courses she needed, how she was paying for them, whether she wanted to be full time or not, and putting a schedule together was like pulling teeth from a hen.
              And she probably will wail at the end of the program that she only was told she needed to TAKE certain courses to get her degree, but no one told her she needed to PASS them.
              "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
              .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

I still remember the girls in my flight in basic training who wanted to work in the hospital so they could find doctors to marry and then they could get out of the military early because of pregnancy. I imagine if they'd gone to college instead of joining the AF they might have sounded like that last girl.

@South Texan: Even worse, she'll be just good enough to squeak by and pass her nursing license test and then be the nurse you encounter who can't tell which orifice the tympanic thermometer goes in without someone there to guide her.
                Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
                  @South Texan: Even worse, she'll be just good enough to squeak by and pass her nursing license test and then be the nurse you encounter who can't tell which orifice the tympanic thermometer goes in without someone there to guide her.
                  I'm guessing... Tear duct! ... No?

Comment

I still remember the girls in my flight in basic training who wanted to work in the hospital so they could find doctors to marry and then they could get out of the military early because of pregnancy. I imagine if they'd gone to college instead of joining the AF they might have sounded like that last girl.

In basic training, and letting it be known that they want to get out early? Sounds like they need to be let out earlier than they planned, either as an entry level discharge (i.e. service found out during basic that they weren't cut out for the military), or better yet have Colonel Sanders process their exit.

As for the "just squeak by" nurse, for the good of potential future patients she needs to take the nursing school application package in suppository form.

Quoth Scorpodael View Post
                    I'm guessing... Tear duct! ... No?
                    No, but the proper orifice is entirely contained in your answer.
                    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

She left looking very unhappy. Clearly, she thought that being a nurse was just a matter of learning additional procedures CNAs can't do.
                      Yep. You still have to take classes.

One of the guys on my first ship was very disappointed to find out that being a Corpsman in the Navy for several years apparently counted for...*nothing* in the civilian world. Although in my opinion he'll have a leg up on the other students with his practical experience, not to mention that he knew how to work under pressure & in emergencies... but as far as any school cares... it won't replace any coursework.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                        In basic training, and letting it be known that they want to get out early? Sounds like they need to be let out earlier than they planned, either as an entry level discharge (i.e. service found out during basic that they weren't cut out for the military), or better yet have Colonel Sanders process their exit.
                        Funny thing was, since they came in under what the AF calls the "open General" category (which included many hospital jobs, amongst other less appealing positions) every one of them was tagged for security forces. The crying and wailing that went on in the dorm the night that the job assignments were handed out was epic.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                          Yep. You still have to take classes.

One of the guys on my first ship was very disappointed to find out that being a Corpsman in the Navy for several years apparently counted for...*nothing* in the civilian world. Although in my opinion he'll have a leg up on the other students with his practical experience, not to mention that he knew how to work under pressure & in emergencies... but as far as any school cares... it won't replace any coursework.
                          I had an acquaintance once that was convinced that her Navy training as a Corpsman would allow her to get a civilian job as a Physician's Assistant. Last I heard she was out of the Navy and working in a coffee shop.....

Madness takes it's toll....
                          Please have exact change ready.

Comment

the tympanic thermometer
                            Ear thermometer? (tympanic > tympani drum > tympanic membrane(?) in the ear was my line of thought)
                            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

You got it!

Comment

You got it!
                                Eric: YAAAAAAAAAAAY! What do I win?

Empryss: One of these "Every Flavor Beans" from the snack bar...whatever that means..

Eric: Cool! *nomnomno---* Oh my. Earwax. >_<

Comment

Working...
                                X