Clear All

I kind of liked grass.
    Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
      Eric: Cool! *nomnomno---* Oh my. Earwax. >_<
      Well, it was supposed to be a forklift, but... well... >_>

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Okay, I say we need a forklift smilie. It can be hidden in random posts, kinda like Waldo.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
          Shouldn't most (able-bodied) adults be able to do simple dressing changes? Or are you talking about full sterile-wound & biohazard procedures?
          We actually train a lot of patients and family members to take care of routine dressing changes, and even complex tubes like pleuravacs (chest tubes) at home. It's really not that complicated. I've taken a lot of heat for this on a nursing forum for saying this, but . . . any trained monkey can learn to do basic nursing skills.

It's the good judgement piece, the ability to collect the right data, clinically reason with it, and make the right choices at the right time that is the core essence of nursing.

Unfortunately, my experience in the hospital has been that most CNAs trained to do these skills 1) get a head too big for their shoulders, and 2) slack off on proper technique, increasing infection rates.

Quoth Not Lillith View Post
          And this is why I love on-line registration.

Now I just need 5 more people to drop-class or not pay so that I can get bumped off the wait-list and into the chemistry class that I want.
          We have online registration, but first semester students have to register on site after SOAR so they learn how the process works, and get registered properly. There are often problems with transcripts and such that require an override of the system (example, the transcript is in the Registrar's office but not entered into the computer), which can't be done on Web Advisor.

Quoth Ben_Who View Post
          Select a program, select courses that meet the requirements of that program, pass the courses, repeat until all requirements are fulfilled. If you don't like a particular course, you can drop it if you replace it with another course that fulfills the same requirement.

Duh.

It seems intuitive now, but people heading into college have just been through thirteen years of other people deciding every element of their schooling. Even people who understand it might find themselves spoilt for choice. It's no wonder I wasn't doing very well if I still had a high school mindset in college.

Procrastinators are a WHOLE other rant.
          Well, that's what SOAR is for; to teach them how the system works. But at least the students should investigate their proposed course to study and learn what it's about. That failure is what astounds me. It's like too many of these students pick nursing because they think it will be a stable job, or is cool, or Mom told them to, but really have no idea what nursing is.

Me, I had every bit of literature on nursing from several schools before deciding that the local community college was where I really wanted to go.

Quoth raudf View Post
          Apparently, they'd been doing their kid's math work in high school, but couldn't take the SAT for 'em, so of COURSE they didn't get a good score there. Even I had to take basic! But unlike your kid, I did my own homework and tried to understand it. I just sucked at it!
          Aaaaghhh! I ran into this when I was still a student. I'd graduated from my LPN program, and transferred to a BSN school. I was in a study group in my chemistry class with this girl who was not the sharpest knife in the drawer; I quit studying with her when I realized she wanted me to do all her homework for her.

She asked me to proof read a paper for her English 101 class. I'd already taken English, so I agreed.

It was 3 paragraphs. Each paragraph had the exact same 3 sentences, written in a different order. The paper said absolutely nothing.

I found out later her Dad was a PhD in Math, very brilliant. Her brother was also a math genius, and her sister was in med school. She picked nursing to meet family expectations. When she was in high school Dad did all her homework for her so the teachers would not realize she was not a super genius like the rest of her family.

She wasn't stupid. Just sheltered and never had any realistic expectations.

The nursing program refused to admit her (she failed the interview) so she majored in Respiratory Therapy. The year after she was admitted to RT,which did not have a interview or limited admission policy, the program added them in.

Quoth South Texan View Post
          And she probably will wail at the end of the program that she only was told she needed to TAKE certain courses to get her degree, but no one told her she needed to PASS them.
          That won't save her if she actually managed to get in the program. We review transcripts of our nursing students once a year and make sure they are taking what they need to to graduate. You can't progress in the program without certain courses. Once you get to a certain level, if you haven't passed A&P or Pysch, you are dropped until you do pass them.

Quoth PepperElf View Post
          Yep. You still have to take classes.

One of the guys on my first ship was very disappointed to find out that being a Corpsman in the Navy for several years apparently counted for...*nothing* in the civilian world. Although in my opinion he'll have a leg up on the other students with his practical experience, not to mention that he knew how to work under pressure & in emergencies... but as far as any school cares... it won't replace any coursework.
          Navy Corpsmen actually know quite a lot, and can do quite a lot. They're like paramedics on steriods, and they actually do most of the hands on nursing care in Navy hospitals. They function at the LPN level.

Which is not the same thing as the RN level. In some states military corpsmen can take either the paramedic or LPN exams, but not in all.

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
          Funny thing was, since they came in under what the AF calls the "open General" category (which included many hospital jobs, amongst other less appealing positions) every one of them was tagged for security forces. The crying and wailing that went on in the dorm the night that the job assignments were handed out was epic.
          Could be worse. Doesn't the AF still have ditchdiggers?

Welcome back, btw

I kind of liked grass.
          Which kind? <snerk>
          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
            Which kind? <snerk>
            Hey!

It was legal in the country I liked it in.

Comment

Okay, I say we need a forklift smilie.
              Seconded

...Welcome to CustomersSuck, the only board with a forklift meme. Ever.
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                Seconded

...Welcome to CustomersSuck, the only board with a forklift meme. Ever.
                RetailWorkhorse took the bacon meme with him...
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Bacon is gone?!?!

I missed the bacon leaving while I was gone?!?!

Comment

Bacon is gone?!?!

I missed the bacon leaving while I was gone?!?!
                    No, we can mention the b-word and not have it instantly vanish.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                      No, we can mention the b-word and not have it instantly vanish.
                      The bacon will never die...

Everybody grab a BLT! Everyone, bite into it three times if you believe in fairies the POWER OF BACON!

*nomnomnom nomnomnom* (just in case)
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

*chants rhythmically*

I believe in bacon. *nom* I believe in bacon. *nom* I believe in bacon. *nom*

Comment

*chants rhythmically*

I believe in bacon. *nom* I believe in bacon. *nom* I believe in bacon. *nom*
                          You still owe me bacon when I help you finish your deck tomorrow.

I love how a tale of woe turned into a tale of bacon
                          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
                            This little piggie...

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
                              And never was there a tale of more woe/Than this of Juliet, and her Bacon-O

~ Wm. "Pimp Daddy" Shakespeare

Comment

^ That is frikken awesome

Comment

Working...
                                X