This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth PepperElf View Post
    i'm not exactly a skeptical... i think i'm just closed off to paranormal things. kinda like... i could be receptive, but the signal's usually jammed.

according to mom we use to be more receptive tho.
    That's not terribly uncommon, actually. Children are much more receptive to the paranormal, and it gradually goes away over time in some people. For the longest time, my own signal was pretty jammed. Like I said in an earlier post, it's only been recent that I've become more open.
    "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

I've had a few personal encounters (tales for some other time) with things nobody could explain. I will say that once you've had somebody walk THROUGH you, however, that you understand that there are things out there that people can not explain.

Life is always interesting, you just have to keep your mind open
      Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Yeah, I think there's a most mom's thing with regards to kids. I can tell when my kiddo's about to get into trouble, though he hasn't been seriously hurt yet and has had no major trauma to speak of. When my husband's grandfather died upstairs from where we were playing, I grabbed him and we were at the park before anybody told me that he'd died. Hell, when he was in utero, he was breach and the doctor said not to worry, we could turn him and still deliver vaginally. Something didn't feel right so I said no, we'll do the c-section. Doctor hadn't mentioned a c-section and thought I was over-reacting. Turns out, if we'd tried to turn him, we would have killed him.

My mom and I are very close, I missed her birthday by 4 hours, and we've always known when something was up. She knew I was pregnant from the same moment I did. We both know the baby I'm having is going to be a girl. We knew months before there would have been any identifying characteristics on the ultrasound.

I know there are sensitives in my family but we've never done anything about it. Occasionally, somebody around me will respond to something I didn't say, but was thinking really hard. I talk to my dead grandmother in my sleep.

I had some friends who kept trying to get me to play with mystical stuff with them. Something didn't feel right so I declined. I've always been glad I did, too, because something happened and it ruined a lot of their lives. So, yeah, keeping an open mind is good but it's always a good idea to treat that kind of stuff with respect.
        "I'm starting to see a pattern in the men I date" - Miss Piggy, Muppet Treasure Island

I'm writing!! Check out the blog.

Comment

I have told my children, as sensitives, they should never and I do mean never play with any type toys that can open a channel, since they don't know what could come through. I have also told them that if they see such a thing in someone's house to leave.

I have also told them of sensitives who tried to profit of their gift and lost it forever, so never try to pervert their gift in such a way. Of course, right now, we have no control over our gift, so no chance of that at this time.

My daughter seems to have it the strongest. She just takes it strike and has never been afraid of it. I don't really remember her being afraid of anything, not the dark or monsters in the closet.

The boys and I are a bit afraid of sleeping in a total dark room.

My gift seems to get stronger when I do meditation, which I haven't done in awhile. since it's difficult to get into that position when my legs hurt all the damn time.
          Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Comment

Oh, my. Me, too, and the women in my family on my mother's side.

My sister saw my grandparents' dog after he passed away. He was standing outside, just looking at the house like he was saying goodbye. He walked away and turned the corner and he was gone.

My mom heard and felt spirits; my grandmother knew the month & year she was going to pass away (she was right; I know some would say this was a self-fulfilling prophecy, but she had been ill with a progressive disease for a few months when she died). I've had some odd things happen including occasional foreknowledge. I've also had that "voice" thing happen where I was thinking something and a close friend of mine thought she heard me speak out loud. More than once. Of course, this might say more about her ability to "hear" me than it does about me.
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Misanthropical View Post
              I have told my children, as sensitives, they should never and I do mean never play with any type toys that can open a channel, since they don't know what could come through. I have also told them that if they see such a thing in someone's house to leave.

I have also told them of sensitives who tried to profit of their gift and lost it forever, so never try to pervert their gift in such a way.
              Both very good pieces of advice. The first is good because it's very true. You can't control what exactly's going to come out of whatever door gets opened. Also, it's really hard to close the doors back up later. I like that second one too, mostly because I find it very hard to believe psychics and mediums that advertise themselves as such on TV. I have a much easier time believing my two friends I mentioned before. The ones on TV just seem...fake.

Quoth MoonCat
              Oh, my. Me, too, and the women in my family on my mother's side.
              It must be more common in women than in men, then, because on both sides of my family, the sensitives are all female. On my dad's side, it's my grandmother and one of my uncle's kids who are sensitive. On my mom's side, it's my aunt. My younger uncle on my mom's side *does* have the gift to an extent, though not as strongly.
              "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Quoth firecat88 View Post
                The ones on TV just seem...fake.
                Yep, especially since Miss Cleo didn't see it coming

Seriously though, I've only had a few encounters. I've already posted about my ghost kitty...

But, when my now-gone grandmother still had her farm, there were quite a few instances of feeling like I was being watched, and that someone had placed their hand on my shoulder. Grandpa didn't die in that house, but I'm sure he was in there somewhere...as he loved to play jokes. I've always felt that he did things to tell me that although he was dead, he was still looking out for his family...

What was strange, is that when I'd feel like someone was watching me, it seemed to come from the room that had once been my grandfather's office. That room, was connected to the living room, and to the kitchen. The path into the living room was blocked by his desk. Also strange, is that if I was in the office, working on my computer (or building models), it never felt like someone was watching me. I have no idea why that is.

As if that wasn't enough, the "touch on the shoulder" always happened in the living room, and usually if I was sitting in the recliner. Grandpa also liked cats--if I had Kitty in the chair, he'd suddenly jump, like someone had just woke him up

Sadly though, since the farm has been sold, none of those things has happened
                Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

My father's side has all the sensitives, including the boys. It seems to be passed down to any child no matter what sex they are. I haven't heard of it being on my mother's side.

We have a resident spirit in our home. We have named him "Ethan" and he doesn't seem to mind it. My daughter has seen him partially appear in her room. He was wearing a uniform of a union solider from the Civil War.

Ethan does like to pace the upstairs hallway even though he is known to be heard, seen and sensed all over the house.

I have felt my grandmother behind me when I am on my computer even though she died 14 years ago.

I and my children have so many stories that I would be here for months at a time if I tried to type them all out.
                  Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Comment

Quoth Misanthropical View Post
                    I was raised in a very strict religious household, so having the gift was considered evil, so I spent many hours trying to pray it away or ignoring it, none of which worked. It wasn't till I grew up and left the church did I realize it wasn't evil and I wasn't evil for having it.
                    Been there, too. I didn't try to pray it away, though, I just kept quiet about it. The best thing I ever did was move away from my family.
                    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                    HR believes the first person in the door
                    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                    Document everything
                    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

I've always found ghosts and that sort of thing interesting. I think of myself as an "open skeptic." I don't doubt there are people who see them (or at least think they do), but until given evidence, I don't really believe in them.

That is, until my mother's remarks that she can hear our dog Dooney sigh behind her while she's on the computer late at night were corroborated when I heard the same noises. Nothing around me that could otherwise have caused the noise.

So I'm less skeptical than I was before.
                      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post

So I'm less skeptical than I was before.
                        Also not uncommon. Sometimes skeptics become admittedly less skeptical when they're confronted with something they can't explain. Or, in what my friend believes to be the case with my sister, they become believers in denial.

Comment

I decided to post this, despite the fact that nobody yet has believed me (or if they have, they never admitted it). A long time ago (almost another lifetime), I was a regular at a local church. In fact, I was known as Little Preacher, but that is not the story.

The church had decided to hold a celebration on Halloween, to get as many people as they could NOT to do the normal Halloween candy run. You know, cause Halloween is evil and all that . There was food, games, and it was actually kind of fun. Well after a bit, they called everybody in for the service.

I noticed that one girl, standing near a little bridge nearby, wasn't responding. Me being the good person I am, decided to go let them know we had to go inside. As I almost get up to them, they jump. I go running to the edge, but there is nobody there. I turn around looking for the girl, and she is standing less then a foot away. She was drenched from head to foot. I start to say something, and she walks up to me and passes through me. I turn around just in time to see her jump AGAIN.

This freaks me out, so I run, but knowing nobody would ever believe me..never say anything. Now here are some problems with what happened.

Nobody had ever died at or even near the bridge. Ever. The bridge was not far off the ground. If you jump off it you MIGHT skin your knee..maybe. It certainly would not kill you. There is a little creek, but you would have to roll around on the ground to get drenched. It was less then 6" deep (the creek).

It still freaked me out, because I can tell you that having somebody walk through you like you are not solid is an interesting feeling.
                          Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

I get some of the weirdest comments when I wear one of my crosses and my pentacle at the same time...... ^_^ it is fun to watch people's brains try and figure that one out.

Now....*cough cough*... about those Shakespeare shirts.....
                            "I'm not smiling because I'm happy. I'm smiling because every time I blink your head explodes!"
                            -Red

Comment

Nobody had ever died at or even near the bridge. Ever.
                              Maybe not that particular bridge, but could there have been one there a long time ago? It would be interesting to find out what the area was like in the past. What was the girl wearing?
                              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Maybe, but from all reports nobody had died in that area for as long as anybody could remember. It's possible though. As for what she was wearing, yes it was a bit 'dated'. It's hard to describe, but here it goes (to the best I can). Remember it was a LONG time ago.

When I first saw her, she was wearing a red ribbon in her hair. The hair was up in a pony tail. She was wearing a 'Victorian' type dress (best I can come close to) that was white, but had a black front part (from the waist down). Another red ribbon like was used as a belt. White socks and white shoes. Or at least that is how my mind remembers her dressing.

When I noticed her behind me, the hair was down, the ribbon missing, and the hair was wet. The dress sort of clung to her body as if wet, but it seemed a darker color also.

Comment

Working...
                                X