This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Jester View Post
    If Cosmo readers REALLY wanted to know what men thought, they shouldn't look for it in Cosmo, but from MEN. But something tells me Cosmo will not be contacting me any time soon to write "What Men REALLY Think" any time soon. "Why not?" you ask. Not because of my lack of writing skills, no. But because what I would have to say would not be what the average Cosmo reader would want to read or believe. You know, like the truth. That's why.
    I have to agree 100% there. If I want to know what my boyfriend is thinking, I'll ask him. I don't feel the need to refer to some "chicky" magazine that has to talk about orgasms on the front cover.

Besides, something of that nature needs to be kept private, ya know?
    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Hmm....I clicked on this thread thinking it was gonna be about How To Make Your Man Scream For More, Huurrrr!

Oh well.

Comment

I read that issue too. I pick it up on occasion purely for the entertainment value. I thought about posting it when I read it, and then it slipped my mind (what's left of it). Now I want to check out the next issue to see if anyone writes them letters about it.

Sometimes there are legitimate problems with clothes. I once bought a red shirt, and wore it to work before I washed it (stupid). I got home late and it wasn't until the next morning that I realized it had bled all over me - the white t-shirt I had worn to bed looked like it had been tie-dyed pink, and my skin looked like I had a rather painful sunburn. I washed it 3 times (by itself, then with a white washcloth to see if it was still bleeding). I ended up with 2 pink washcloths. I took the shirt back and explained what happened, and they took it back (yes I had the receipt and the tags). Of course, I was not a bitch about it and they didn't argue with me. (The unpleasant chemical smell the washing brought out may also have helped my case. )
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I read cosmo when I'm kinda bummed-it's always good for a laugh-especially the "newest fashion trends"
          Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

I'll see their "stealth" bitch and raise them a real bitch...

This is why I'm constantly suprised I don't get fired, I tend to call out the problem children.
            "If all else fails...blame the dog"

Comment

Quoth AFpheonix View Post
              Hmm....I clicked on this thread thinking it was gonna be about How To Make Your Man Scream For More, Huurrrr!
              First thought: "Can you stop him?"

Second thought: "More what? Roast beef and onion sandwiches?"

Rapscallion

Comment

Their fashion tips are ridiculous. I'd never be caught dead in half of those outfits, and I'd have to cover my mouth to stop from laughing at anyone I saw still wearing leggings and a skirt over them with legwarmers and an obnoxious headband.....I remember girls wearing those my senior year.
                You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

That's why Cosmo is for morons.
                  "We were put on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise." -Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

Hey - I read Cosmo!

Well, when in the dentist's waiting room and it's got big words like 'orgasm' on the front...

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                      Second thought: "More what? Roast beef and onion sandwiches?"

Rapscallion
                      Of course, if he eats too many roast beef and onion sandwiches, he's not likely to be getting more of *ahem* "other" things...

I remember once they had an outfit in their fashion spread that I would actually wear. Sometimes I see a top or pair of pants that I'd wear (not that I could afford them), but this was actually an entire outfit, shoes and accessories included! I was shocked. I was reading it on my break at work and I actually went around and showed it too a few of my coworkers hehehe.
                      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I read it when I find it laying around somewhere and I'm bored, but most of the stuff is just kinda...stupid.

Not to mention that if you actually try to map out the physical schematics of some of the sexual positions they suggest, you'd realize that quite a few of them are actually somewhat impossible unless you were raised as a Russian contortionist. If my wrestling action figures can't bend in that direction, my spine won't, either.

(Yes, I am THAT disturbed. None of you were really that surprised after you thought about it. )
                        "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

Not only that, but the male perspective in Cosmo isn't really that great. I think it's written by all women assuming they know everything.

Whereas in Glamour, the Jake column is supposedly written by a guy named Jake, and he doesn't make everything out to be puppy dogs and lollipops. He gives a Jester-like feel of honesty in his column. So like it or not, it's an honest male opinion and that's why he writes it.
                          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth Gawdzillers View Post
                            That's why Cosmo is for morons.
                            I actually read Cosmo and am pretty sure I'm not a moron. It's always been kind of a junk food magazine for me but I was definitely offended by that one article. I was going to post something about it but someone else beat me to it. The thing that irked me was them telling you to ignore the phrase "It's not our policy" and stand your ground until you get your way.

I agree with Blas though the fashion layouts are atrocious.
                            My Horror Blog

Cinemania

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
                              Whereas in Glamour, the Jake column is supposedly written by a guy named Jake, and he doesn't make everything out to be puppy dogs and lollipops. He gives a Jester-like feel of honesty in his column. So like it or not, it's an honest male opinion and that's why he writes it.
                              First of all, I'll take this as a compliment. And thank you for it.

Secondly, you may be assuming, erroneously, that "Jake" is a guy. Just because he isn't as ridiculous as the "men" writing for Cosmo doesn't mean he himself is a guy either. Just saying.

Quoth TruthHurts View Post
                              The thing that irked me was them telling you to ignore the phrase "It's not our policy" and stand your ground until you get your way.
                              I have to say that sometimes, that is the appropriate course of action.

Years ago, my roommate's boyfriend, who was a trucker, stole one of our phone cards that was attached to our home phone account. Neither one of us noticed....until the bill came in with over EIGHT HUNDRED DOLLARS of calls made from around the country....though neither of us had left Phoenix.

We felt that we should not have to pay for that. Trucker Boy was an ass and denied everything. The phone company labeled it as a domestic problem and insisted we pay, EVEN THOUGH Trucker Boy was not on the acount and we told them that he had STOLEN the card, not been given it.

They disconnected us.

And that is when my mom's forty some years of being a helluva secretary came shining through in her son.

First I had to get through the Stupid Layers of Customer Service at the phone company. I would tell them we had been disconnected and were disputing the bill, and I was calling from a pay phone. They would ask if there was a number they could call me back at. Um, no....you disconnected me. Even if you didn't know that, I just TOLD you that. So I calmly and put up with some real idiots, and kept getting bumped up the ladder. Oddly, even the brighter ones kept asking me if there was a number they could call me back at...even after I had said there wasn't. They kept saying it was against policy to do what I was asking them to do. I waited them out. And climbed the supervisory ladder. And waited. Again, calmly. And climbed, and waited, and climbed, and waited.

In the end, we paid 0 of that 800+ dollars, and filed a complaint against Trucker Boy with the phone company, just in case he tried getting his own account or anything (and in case the phone company wanted to file criminal charges against him). We got our phone reconnected. And we paid no reconnection fee.

Even though that was all "against policy."

Was I an SC? I don't think so. I never yelled or screamed, although admittedly you can be an SC without doing either of those. I was unfailingly polite, yet unfailingly firm. And of course unfailingly patient.

Should the phone company have borne the brunt of those charges? Many here would say no. But there was no way WE were paying them for something beyond our control. And if you want to label me an SC for that, feel free. But I know who my friends call whenever they need to take on an intractable corporate entity.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                              Still A Customer."

Comment

Jake is, in fact, a guy. Although he's been more than one guy over the course of time.

Back on topic, I actually have that issue of Cosmo on my desk right now, and hadn't read that article yet. I give them credit for advising the customer to remain calm, as that does help a great deal, but they definitely messed up by not finding the line between complaining about a legitimate problem and whining about something that is your own fault.

Your food was poorly prepared/incomplete/cold/awful? Yes, by all means, do complain.

You are an idiot who can't do laundry and ruined a shirt? TDB. That's your fault, not the store's. Grow up and learn responsibility.

I tend to read Cosmo, along with Glamour and Us Weekly, for a little dose of trash on Sundays when we're slower than all get out at work, and I'm stuck at my desk all day. I always enjoy parts of it, but man, articles like this annoy the $hit outta me.
                                "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Working...
                                X