This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCs who think they're smarter than you

I had a moron come into my library today and rudely ask me "why aren't the books on soccer filed under S?" I tell her it's because every nonfiction work has a call number assigned to it based on the appropriate Library of Congress Subject Heading. She has the nerve to say "well that's stupid. They should change it." Yeah, like we're going to change one of the biggest classification systems because you're a dumb ass. She then goes on to tell me that our district should use the Dewey Decimal System because then she'd be able to find soccer under S. I gleefully tell her that Dewey is all numbers. I made her feel like a total idiot. I hate patrons who think they're smart when they clearly are not. She was a total bitch to me too, which made me want to kill her. I'm almost through my master's in library science; I know what I'm talking about.
    Last edited by Daphne; 04-16-2007, 02:17 AM.

Hehe. I feel your pain. I had a customer come into the bookstore one day and demand to know why we didn't use the DD system.

Um, maybe because we are a STORE - not a library. When I told her this she 'harumphed' at me, turned her nose in the air and continued to search for her books but refused any help from me.

May be related to all the customers that would come into the music store and look for the following bands: (amongst many)
    *The Rolling Stones
    *The Beatles
    *The Clash
    *and many more

under the letter...you guessed it! T. Every band that began with "the" according to them - should be shelved under the letter T.
    If you are thinking to yourself, "Hmmm, should I post this?" it should probably go HERE.

Comment

Quoth Daphne View Post
      She was a total bitch to me too, which made me want to kill her.
      I know the feeling...

I checked in a lady who took offense to our prices by saying: "I worked at a Marriott in Atlanta for 5 years and i know you can give bigger discounts than this."

I told her that:

1. This is not Marriott
      2. This is not Atlanta

I left out

3. If i were to give her more of a discount, just because she said so, i could lose my job
      4. As old as she looked, i'm sure prices were way cheaper when she worked in hotels, in 1970.

Comment

i had one of those today:

her: 'i want a tall *grunt* three add shots' *sour, malicious stare*

me: 'that was a tall...?

her: 'CARAMEL FRAPPUCINO' *malicious stare turns into the stare one gives the village idiot*

me: *thinking 'sorry, i DON'T speak caveman* ok, one tall caramel frap, three add shots, anything else?'

her: *more sour looks* 'NO.'

sheesh, who pissed in your wheaties, woman?
        look! it's ghengis khan!
        Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

I had a crotchety old man be a smart-ass with me one day.

The scene: I was by myself for the first three hours of the day on the Tuesday after Easter Sunday. We were closed on Sunday and all the crazies that can't do without their electronics came Monday and I got the run-off the next day. The closing crew left 5,000 computers on the counter to run tests overnight and I had no idea what was going on with any of them. I had customers stacked 4 and 5 deep and the customer service people kept interrupting me every 5 seconds to ask inane questions that their own damn manager could answer.

I was painfully obvious that I was by myself and most of the customers understood. But this SOB kept pestering me because his computer wasn't working the way he thought it should, he was convinced that we write software and could do so within two hours, he thought that AOL should just automatically work on his machine without signing up for it first, and, oh, I don't know what I'm doing. He finally snarkily commented that we needed more people on the counter.

No shit, Sherlock! And would you have been giving me half this shit if I was a guy? I don't think so.

After the "need more people" comment, I gave him my most winning smile and told him to complain to customer service about the staffing. I didn't like being by myself any more than they did.
          A smile is just a grimace that's been edited for public consumption. -- Tony Cochran

Comment

My favorite call from last week:

Caller: I want to buy a second IP address.
            Me: Any particular reason why?
            Caller: So my internet will be twice as fast.
            Me: Huh?
            Caller: My friend who knows computers tells me that if I buy a second IP address, my internet will be twice as fast.
            Me: It doesn't even begin to work that way.
            Caller: My friend says it does.

And you just try convincing a customer that their "friend who knows computers" could possibly be wrong about anything...
            I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn't care who knew it. -- Raymond Chandler

Comment

I've heard the "I know how this is done!" babble from SCs before.....

"You don't need my ID, I've worked in stores before, this is hoohah!"....yes, checking ID was hoohah in 1977, perhaps.

"Don't you tell me otherwise giving me this roundabout, I know how to do your job!"
              You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I can't believe the nerve of people telling us how they think we should do our jobs. It just boggles my mind.

Comment

In my electronics & hardware job I actually do get people who know far more than I do - which is usually great, as they know what they need and only want to know where it is located (or ordered in) and get out of the store and back on the job ASAP.

Funny but sad side story is that oftentimes said persons will tell me some item of information, occasionally useful even if slightly demeaning, which strangely enough will sometimes be debunked a few days or weeks later by someone else in the exact same job field.

Ah, humankind, how have you survived so long?

I may not be super educated, or always swift of memory, but at least I know how to look things up when I don't know or can't remember!
                  "There are times in your life when you'll have to eat crow. Actually, you don't have to eat it-just hold it in your mouth long enough until nobody's watching, and then spit it out."

Comment

See, the problem here is that sometimes you as a customer will know better that the rep you are dealing with. There have been times when I have been given information that I know to be wrong, but I just nod and say yes so as not be sucky.
                    I think, therefore I am. But I am micromanaged, therefore I am not.

Comment

Quoth TNT View Post

And you just try convincing a customer that their "friend who knows computers" could possibly be wrong about anything...
                      How much do you want to bet that these "friends" actually can't stand the SC, either, and tell them something misleading as a practical joke?

I tend to get the snobbery most often from doctors' staffs, wierdly enough. I get some of the snarkiest faxes and phone calls back. It's even funnier when they send something snarky back, but they completely didn't even read what I sent them in the first place, so I simply point out that they need to actually read the heading and note I so thoughtfully typed out, and perhaps we all could get something done for the patient.

Comment

It's almost daily now I get some schmuck who thinks they know more about cell phones than I do.

Sure, you're an auto mechanic, so that makes you perfectly qualified to diagnost cell phones without and troubleshooting equipment!

Oh, you're a C++ programmer, so you know MUCH more about RF signals, wireless networks on the 1900MHz band, *and* FR interference.

Oh, you're an avatiation technician (yes, we get a lot of those), so you know more about how liquid affects cell phones. (While the guy's phone was dripping wet claiming it wasn't liquid).

Oh, you're a doctor, so you know more about how web applications work on your phone than I do.

Then, you get the @$$holes who claim that their best friend's boyfriend's former roomate sold these phones at the flea market years ago...
                        Quote Dalesys:
                        ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Quoth TNT View Post
                          My favorite call from last week:

Caller: My friend who knows computers tells me that if I buy a second IP address, my internet will be twice as fast.

Actually the friend may be kind of correct but the caller clearly does not understand what he is talking about. In theory if you get two lines of high speed internet service with different IP addresses then you can use two modems feeding into the same computer for a higher speed line. Of course I say "IN THEORY". There are all kinds of reasons why this setup wouldn't work even if you did have two lines of service with different IP addresses but in any case asking for another IP address on the customers account won't get the customer what they are looking for.
                          You mess with me, you dance in the dark!

Comment

Quoth Luna View Post
                            May be related to all the customers that would come into the music store and look for the following bands: (amongst many)
                            *The Rolling Stones
                            *The Beatles
                            *The Clash
                            *and many more

under the letter...you guessed it! T. Every band that began with "the" according to them - should be shelved under the letter T.

:snort: When I go to music stores, I just wander around and eventually find what I'm looking for, because the CDs I want are never where they're supposed to be. Why? Because people take them and ditch them in another spot.
                            Unseen but seeing
                            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                            3rd shift needs love, too
                            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

What a familiar feeling

Quoth Daphne View Post
                              She was a total bitch to me too, which made me want to kill her. I'm almost through my master's in library science; I know what I'm talking about.
                              Daphne, this made me laugh and laugh and left a knowing smile on my face...
                              ...but I'm a bastard and so desensitized to the scum of humanity that I'm immune to the Stun status effect.
                              Quoth Gravekeeper

Comment

Working...
                              X