This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Credit card declined

Why are people suddenly surprised when their credit cards are declined? These people will ask you to run the card again because there must be some mistake. As if running the same card three or four times will magically make money appear on their account. Do these people not realize that everywhere you go there is a minimum amount held on your card. Perhaps your card was declined because the gas station is holding 100 dollars, the car rental company is holding a 300 dollar deposit - etc. By the time you arrive to checkin your card has 10 bucks on it.

This happens more than you know.

I had it happen at the post office, needing to buy stamps. I'd just used it at a nearby dept. store, but was still REALLY UNDER my limit. I just used a debit card for the stamps and ran home to call the issuing bank to see what was up.
    It seems someone had hacked an online retailer's site that I did business with a few weeks before, and they were just being cautious, verified my info, and released the hold. I didn't get pissy with the Postal Clerk, nor the bank rep. In fact, I THANKED the bank rep for their diligence.

Comment

I can appreciate how difficult it is for people to accept, when a lot of folks ride on the line between overdrawing their account and paying their bills. When that small leeway is blocked by "holds", it really hurts. Still, it was rare for me to get irate customers at *big box retail*. By and large, they'd simply pull out a 2nd or 3rd card and run it through, as if it was no big deal to have so many cards that were declined.
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

I had a lady come in to buy gas. Card was declined 6 times in a row. Sure enough her friend ran to the bank and checked the account while she waited. Money was there.... The last 4 card numbers didn't match. Lol.

I know the feels.

Comment

My wife used to work in the fraud department of a national bank. They got calls from people who got declined. They had plenty of money or the balance was low enough to allow it. They just weren't in their home area. She got all kinds of grief for it.
          I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

The last time that happened to me, it was a mystery how, as there was plenty on the account ($80 charge/$3000+ available credit). Something was amiss, but I never figured out what
            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Sometimes, it's a card read error too, or something. I have actually had it happen when ringing people up that the first swipe is declined, but the second swipe of the same card is accepted, often enough I don't even blink anymore when they try it again.

On the other hand, electronics has been long known to behave oddly around me, so maybe it's just me!

Comment

Quoth Nurian View Post
                My wife used to work in the fraud department of a national bank. They got calls from people who got declined. They had plenty of money or the balance was low enough to allow it. They just weren't in their home area. She got all kinds of grief for it.
                See, now that's why I call my bank EVERY TIME I TRAVEL. Going to a town two hours away for a day trip? Call the bank! Going to Chicago for a week of craziness? CALL THE BANK. It takes 2 minutes, and it saves all kinds of hassles.
                GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

The best part is, despite what some of the suckier customers seem to believe (and despite all the evidence to the contrary), the cashiers generally have no idea WHY a card is declined, let alone control over it (for those extra speshul snowflakes)...When I was cashiering at a grocery store, we either got "approve" or "decline" -- at GameStore and the accounting place, we got "approve", some code that meant "decline/NSF", or "decline, hang on to the card, and CALL THE CREDIT CARD COMPANY RIGHT F'ING NOW!!" o_O
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I can go online and click a box to inform USAA that I'm going on a trip if I want. It allowed me to use the card when I went to Ukraine.

Comment

I make a habit of calling both my bank and Visa when I'm going to be traveling. Sure, it's a bit of overkill, but rather overkill it and have my money available to me then not, and not.

As for running the card again, I can understand a request to run it a second time, as more often than you would think, a card declined the first time will be approved on the second swipe. Not a huge amount, but enough so that any time a customer's card is declined at The Bar, I'll swipe it a second time. And if it's declined again, I get to tell them I already tried it twice if they ask me to swipe it again.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                      Still A Customer."

Comment

My friend had her debit card decline at a local fast food place. She had plenty of money in the account, but they ran it twice and it declined both times. She gave them a credit card, which also declined. Turns out the card processer was down, but the only message it would give was 'decline'.
                        That is so full of suck Dyson doesn't know how they did it - shankyknitter

Comment

Over here, most card readers will give the "declined" message if/when the store does not take international debit cards (Visa Electron or MasterCard Maestro/MasterCard Direct). And since not all stores put up signs stating which cards they allow, awkward situations can and will happen.
                          A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

It's extra fun when you're taking card numbers over the phone. Our system will say 'declined' but doesn't say why. I have been told the address we have on the account must match the billing address of the card. I have also been told it doesn't matter.

By far the biggest error we encounter is someone giving us the wrong card number, which comes up as "invalid number." I have had people give me the wrong number repeatedly, get upset, hang up & call back and finally admit they had it written down wrong.

I have also determined that most people, when giving their card number over the phone, are:
                            1) Not wearing their glasses
                            2) Trying to read it in a dark room ("Haha, I have to turn the light on!" )
                            3) Holding the card upside down
                            4) Unable to tell a 3 from an 8, or a 1 from a 7.
                            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

MC - I would imagine it depends on the card issuer. I know most care an awful lot about the ZIP code, not so sure about the street address itself.
                              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                              X