Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why should I care about kids in Africa? Huh? HUH?!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why should I care about kids in Africa? Huh? HUH?!

Another tale of my time at the chocolate store named for the famous naked lady on a horse.

During my time working at the famous-naked-lady-on-a-horse chocolatier, we had a promo where we sold "Feed Bag" totes (I always thought that was a weird name for them - a feed bag is more something for a horse if you ask me) that were made by women in Liberia (Nice totes, too. I considered buying one), if you purchased a certain amount you could get one for $25 that would provide meals for schoolchildren in an impoverished country.

Well, one day one of my supervisors was ringing up a customer who had spent the certain amount, so she made the sales pitch (meals for the kids) to said customer. Well, it went something like this:

Me: Off to the side minding the shelves
    S: Supervisor
    BC: B*tch customer

S: (sums up the program) So would you like to buy a Feed Bag today?

BC: And why should I care about kids in Africa? Sell something for the kids in America! We're Americans! We come first! Screw Africa. Its a useless country anyway.

S:

Me:

BC: *leaves still ranting*

S (to me): She could have just said no...

Me: Tell me about it.

Want to know the difference between a country and a continent?

If someone needs help, we should help them out. Unfortunately, some people can't see past their own nose.
    This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

Comment

If she has that much money to spend on chocolate, she has money for impoverished kids. Secondly, no "country" that contains human souls is useless. Third, someone needs to help her with her geography. What a stuck-up snob. I hope that chocolate comes in handy if she's ever unable to afford food. It can happen to anyone.
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth catcul View Post
        Based on what the bitchy customer was quoted as saying in the OP, she's not even an Australian, which would make it (somewhat) reasonable to confuse the two.
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

While the cause is worthy, it's still my decision whether or not to get the bag. I wouldn't appreciate anybody thinking I'm selfish for not wanting to. It isn't really charity if I'm guilt-tripped into it.

Of course, I will just decline politely. No need for rants about who will benefit from the charity.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth catcul View Post
            You'd already know if you were a Geographer!

Unless you can't read the cards I guess.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
              While the cause is worthy, it's still my decision whether or not to get the bag. I wouldn't appreciate anybody thinking I'm selfish for not wanting to. It isn't really charity if I'm guilt-tripped into it.
              Of course not. The chocolate may be a long-saved-for treat; and your charity budget may have already gone to starving people in an Ethiopian* refugee camp; for all the sales asssistant knows.
              And smart sales assistants will KNOW that they have no idea what's in your budget, or what charities you've already donated to.

It's when you make a rant that they find out you're actually a selfish prat. :P

* lookie here. I'm Australian, and I know the difference between a country and a continent! :P :P :P
              Seshat's self-help guide:
              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                * lookie here. I'm Australian, and I know the difference between a country and a continent! :P :P :P
                Hey, I resemble that remark!

(says the person who is typing this from both a country AND a continent! )
                The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                  It's when you make a rant that they find out you're actually a selfish prat. :P
                  Exactly. If the customer had merely said, "no, thank you," the OP wouldn't have made a post about it.
                  I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                  My LiveJournal
                  A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Wow, when I was a little kid and we put on a sports day to raise money for the kids in Somalia (fyi I REALLY hated sports) I may have said once or twice that I didn't care about the Somalian kids... but come on, I was like 4!

Oh yeah, SCs never grew past the toddler stage... I forgot. Silly me.
                    "Asking an Irish girl to tone it down a notch is about the same as asking a wolf to leave the sheep alone. Good luck with that. " - Jester, about me

Comment

My resources are limited. I'd love to give money to every cause out there. I can't, so I have to make a choice. While there are all sorts of worthy causes, I chose to give my money to charities that help out inner city American kids. I taught in one of the worst inner city schools in the US, and those kids are close to my heart, so that's who gets my money.

Still, I won't go off on a rant for people trying to raise money for other causes. I politely decline, and if I'm pushed I tell them that my budget for charitable donations is limited and has already been spent on other causes, and I wish them luck meeting their goals. I don't understand why people feel the need to go off the deep end like that.
                      At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                        Hey, I resemble that remark!

So are most of us .

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                          Quoth Mikkel View Post
                          So are most of us .
                          The rest of us are rather insular.
                          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

That's worse than the Skeevy Creep at the movie theater. When we asked him if he wanted to donate money to help children with cystic fibrosis, he said, "Nah, they're all dead, anyway."

That was one of the many reasons we wanted to drop the banhammer on him.
                            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

For the record, I never minded people saying no to the offer. Most did, and I could really care less. I stick to donating to pet causes of mine as well, you can't give to everyone. It was just that that hag had to be such a loud bitch about it.

Comment

Working...
                              X