This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Tow Files: Turkey Month Warm-Up Edition

So, let's all take a look at what November hath wrought on us and October hath dumped on us on it's way out the door.....

Dude, What's My Car Look Like?

Yet another gentleman came in wanting to know if we'd towed his car and was unable to give us any information about it. Didn't know what make model or COLOR it was or where he'd parked it, aside from somewhere in town.

I'll never quite understand how this works, even though I've seen it happen multiple times. Surely you weren't abandoning the car, you WERE planning on using it again? Right? You obviously know how to identify it SOMEHOW, since you keep finding your way back to it, but you don't even know it's COLOR?

How are you finding it? By scent? Magnetic signature? Feeling for a certain dent pattern? Trying the key in every car on the block til you hit the right one?

Give me something to work with here.

Oh, it's not your car? You borrowed it? Doesn't matter, same questions still apply.

If you can't answer them, call your buddy and ask THEM what it looks like.

You rented it from your sister, and don't want to call her and tell her you can't find it?

Ah. I see. Now your current quandary makes sense, you're still annoying me, but at least there's a reason behind it. Is your sister by chance and Amazonian warrior? If so, it's quite possible her car is invisible and you'd be forgiven for not knowing the details, otherwise, you're a grade "A" charity case in the brain wave department.

Anti-Stealth

About the worst thing you can do if you owe $250 in unpaid parking tickets is illegally park, again, in a dark alleyway, at night, and turn your 4 way flashers on.

As a public service, I'm going to email that old HS friend of mine who now works for the Ford Motor Co. and ask if maybe by 2016, they could change the symbol on the hazard lights button from the safety triangle to a pic of a little tow truck towing a little car away, just to try and teach people the futility of doing this?

Nah the futility of others is not only fun, but profitable!

The use of the "come and get me" lights alone ensures a tow, but, a bounty on your head too? You bet we're bumping you to the top of the "priority response" list with the possible exception of something that's on fire.

That's just BEGGING us to get you.

You might as well walk through a rough neighborhood while fresh, crisp, $500 bills fall from your overstuffed pockets, while dressed like Uncle Moneybags from the Monopoly game, the result is going to be the same, you're gonna end up broke at the end of it all.

Bursting into tears on the phone when informed you don't get your car back until you cough up $380 doesn't help, either.

Try a different approach next time, like paying your tickets when you get them, or , NOT getting them to start with.

Cliff Notes Version

Guy comes in for his car, seemed like a nice enough fellow...

-Why did I get towed?

-You didn't have a permit for that lot.

-But the sign I parked in front of said "24 hour parking"

Well, yes it did. On the FIRST line. Know what the second line under it said?

"for tenants only"

Know what the line under that said?

"violators towed"

And the one under that?

"Friendly Neighborhood Towing XXX-XXX"

You have to read the WHOLE sign, chum. Not the abridged version, the director's cut version, and you can't just stop reading when it suits you.

I dare you to try that argument out on the next cop who pulls you over, arguing that the first line on the last sign you passed clearly said "SPEED".

Go on, try it! Has the same chance of working with him as it did with me! As in: It'll probably deplete your wallet to the tune of another three figures, since your attempt to speed read the signs just cost you $130

The Problem With Problems is that They are Rarely a Problem

A young lady walks into the shop

- I'm here for my car

- Okay, that will be $130

- That's going to be a problem,

- Uh.... ...

- I only have $60.

- I need $130 or the car can't be released

-But that's a problem....

Uh, no it's not. At least not for ME. And you even called ahead to see if we had it! We quoted you a price! That's why I knew which one it was! But now it's a problem??

Not sure how that "problem" got resolved, had to leave on a call and left the "problem child" to the on-duty manager, she must've cajoled the person who gave her the ride in to pay for it, was gone when I got back.

Later, that same day.... we find an SUV on the lawn of a rental house. You can't do that, so we hook it.

Immediately, someone comes running out asking why we're towing his buddy.

"You can't park on someone's lawn"

"But we live here, and we don't have a problem with it!"

Yeah, I kinda figured, since you DID it.

You don't have a problem? Good to know, but guess what? Your landlord, who OWNS the house, and the LAWN, he DOES have a problem with that! See where we're going with this?

Mel Brooks once said that tragedy is when you cut your finger, and comedy is when someone else falls into an open manhole and dies.

Turns out he was apparently pretty close to the definition of "problem" as it pertains to the self-entitled and oblivious, wasn't he?

It's only a problem when it inconveniences ME!

P.S. - Getting your car towed is quite the inconvenience, isn't it?

Donny Donots, that you? You Outta the Joint Already?

It had to be, if not him, a distant relation. Because he did everything wrong.

EV-RE-THING

Motor Clubs will only cover basic services to YOUR vehicle. By this they mean it must be registered IN YOUR name, and currently up to date on it's insurance and state registration requirements. Your plan only covers YOUR car, it doesn't cover the cars of friends, families, old Army pals, strangers, foxes, boxes, shoats, goats, gnus, penguins, people, warthogs, and ESPECIALLY rabbits!

And, unless you bought the really super-expensive coverage (and paid the accordingly super-expensive premiums) they only cover you for the bare basics (jump starts, tows, out of gas) and only if you stay on public/paved roads. They don't cover you once the pavement ends or if you go so far off the grid even your GPS is a bit
    puzzled as to where you are.

And this is all laid out when you sign up, you had to put your signature on something that said you understood these regulations before you got their little card to stick in your wallet.

Well, at least I'd like to THINK they explained it to you, and I'd like to THINK that you listened, but who am I kidding? You were probably counting the ceiling tiles, or contemplating a world without cats, or wondering exactly where you left Grandma on that last road trip, she was in the car when you started out, but haven't seen her since...

See what happens when I try to have faith in humanity?! No matter how patient and hopeful I am, you keep on disappointing me time after time after time after time, it's like being a fan of the New York Jets....

Why do I know you didn't listen? Because you called us out for a tow at your house the other day, and upon arriving we found that it wasn't the one covered under your plan, which was sitting happily in the driveway.

You wanted us to tow the one in the backyard....

- A vehicle that had no current insurance

- No registration

- No license plate

- Was OFF pavement, way off.

- And in fact was smashed against a tree

Seems it was a "parts car" you bought some time ago to provide the occasional spare widget and wingnut for your daily driver. And at some point in the last 24 hours, you either pulled something vital off it's brake system, or that particular component finished rusting into orange mist. Either way, the brakes failed and it rolled away, down your driveway, down through your backyard, and into the treeline.... and you thought somehow you'd get your motor club to cover that...

Survey says........ "X!"

You really think you can get that one by us? By intentional scam or just plain not knowing any better? Unh-uh! The only way that bucket of bolts gets back to the top of the hill is you pay the cash winch-out rates, $80 an hour, or any portion thereof.

To no real shock, they declined and decided to just leave the heap where it was.

We returned to the garage, called the Motor Club, explained what happened and got our meager GOA fee out of it for what was otherwise a wasted hour of driving out and back. (and I don't fault them for this one, they have to in good faith assume when the customer calls for help, it's going to be for one of their covered cars, and in this case, the parts car was the same make/model/year, so unless they took the frankly unnecessary step of confirming the VIN, they had no idea it wasn't the "right" car.)

And this isn't the first nor last time someone will try to "sneak" an uncovered car through their motor club, and they always seem shocked when we won't go along with it. Hey, we don't like Da Man (TM) anymore than you, but, when we send that paperwork in for reimbursement, and Da Man (TM) realizes the VIN on the car we towed doesn't tally with the VIN on file, who get's it up the backside THEN? Not you, and not the club, it's US! So please don't try and make us a pawn in your game, you may think you're very cleverly fighting for the little guy, but in reality, all your doing is keeping the rest of us from having nice things.

And this is one of the few clubs we LIKE! Piss THEM off? Aw hell nawwwwww!
    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

It was a great weekend for me.

Hang out with friends and have some drinks... watch our friend Danny go into Freddy Fazbear's completely blind and do better than Tom... then go to the movies... knock 2029 words out of my WriMo... a quiet day at work...

And now I get to read some good ol' Argasnarking.

It's gonna be a good week.
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

I will admit, I find myself trying to think like the people in Argabarga's post. Maybe I am a sadist, I don't know. I try to find a world in which EW's logic () makes even a bit of sense. Even with my own body poisoning my mind, I just .. can't at all. Which is why I like seeing one of his posts.. because it is a challenge. Try to use mental gymnastics to even remotely come close to logic as I can. So far the closest I've come would be with Logic on one side of the grand canyon and ew's on the other. But not across from each other.. oh no, I am not THAT good. Not only are they on opposite sides, but if the Canyon runs east to west .. logic is the furthest east point, and EW's on the furthest west point.
      Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Why do people think that repeating phrases will get them what they want? "That's going to be a problem." Oooooookay? Did that work on someone in the past? When you went to pay for your coffee and it was $4, did you say "That's going to be a problem, I only have $2." And they let you take the coffee and go? Didn't think so.

Also, the um, three As club covers the policy holder, not a specific vehicle. But that is just for their emergency service, which is towing, lockout, battery jump etc. That was a specific selling point for me, as a person who doesn't trust her friends cars. The car Donny Donot had wouldn't qualify for a multitude of reasons, of course. And I don't know what club he was a part of.
        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

One would hope that in a situation like Donny Donots the auto club has the right to charge a scam fee and you could get more than the minimum.

That or at least a huge red flag gets put on their file...

Comment

To be a little fair, the guy with the uncovered car may have formally been an AAA member, and they'll cover any car you, personally, happen to be in at the time. (Although they still don't cover off-road recovery.) Of course, AAA is not cheap. And after too many tows, they will cut you off.

Comment

Sucky customers always think that their problems are everyone's problem. That's because, if they're not happy, no one is happy.
              To seek it with thimbles, to seek it with care;
              To pursue it with forks and hope;
              To threaten its life with a railway share;
              To charm it with forks and hope!

Comment

Quoth sirwired View Post
                To be a little fair, the guy with the uncovered car may have formally been an AAA member, and they'll cover any car you, personally, happen to be in at the time. (Although they still don't cover off-road recovery.) Of course, AAA is not cheap. And after too many tows, they will cut you off.
                This guy's club probably would have covered the junk car if he'd put it on the list of cars he wants covered, like insurance. Everyone's rules are the same, yet different, but, point is, it wasn't covered and his club DOES have a yearly limit on number of services, and GOA's count against that, every time you call the club, you burn one of your lifelines, so be sure you need it first. 'Specially when you have "cheapass" coverage where you get, like 2 a year.

Comment

Albert's Automotive Assistance (Real name obscured of course *cough* Triple A *cough*) is a lifesaver. Not only am I covered in ANY vehicle I happen to be in at the moment, but they will even do things at my place of residence that because of health problems I just can not do myself. They have Changed a tire twice, because I was physically unable to. Sure, they only have a limited number of times they will do such things, but you can pay to upgrade at any time, thereby getting extra times. I have been in the middle of NOWHERE, where it was too far off the beaten path for even animals to bother visiting, and they have come rescue me. Can't say enough good things about Albert's *cough* Triple A *cough*
                  Last edited by Mytical; 11-03-2014, 05:33 PM.
                  Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

I hear tell of people who are "temporarily unable to safely drive" but still savvy enough to "disable" *wink wink nudge nudge* their vehicle.
                    call up the auto-club and ask for a tow home, where you have a "spare" of the part that "went bad".

particularly useful in areas with little to no cab service...

but as you say, abuse it and you get cut-off.

Comment

Only $80 an hour for winch out? That's not that bad, in my experience. Of course, most of my experience relating to towing comes from being the guy some of the local towers call when they need a yo-yo.

AKA, I'm the guy in the harness that gets to dangle on the end of a rope when the maroon drives into the ravine or such. It's the fun of being into rope access and a rigger, lol. Can't really complain, keeps life interesting.

Where else am I going to see a car 30 ft off the ground in an oak tree and get to help figure out how to get it back up the 60 feet or so to the road? The fun stuff doesn't happen all that often, but that's part of the why/how of my business. Lots of odd specialties and a roster of tools n gadgets keeps me as busy as I want, either on my own jobs or subcontracting.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                        Trying the key in every car on the block til you hit the right one?
                        With modern cars, they might be able to check a dozen at a time. (beep chirp-chirp)

Comment

Personally, I love Verizon's roadside assistance. I do have AAA, but they don't cover winching. Verizon pulled me out of a ditch when someone ran me off the side of the highway. It's not for accidents, but since there was no actual damage (I was just stuck in the mud in a steepish ditch at enough of an angle that I couldn't back out), they came out. I was back on the road, shaken and muddy, an hour after the "incident".
                          "Hi, this is Silver. How may I lose my self respect in order to cater to your over- inflated ego today?" --- Silverrb

Comment

Quoth Argus View Post
                            With modern cars, they might be able to check a dozen at a time. (beep chirp-chirp)
                            I thought it was "Dun-doo-doo-dooooooooooooo...." THEN "chirp-chirp!"
                            The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I have to remember where I parked, I don't have any cheating shortcuts.... that's the price you pay when your car came down the assembly line when there was still a Soviet Union, and has a "CHOKE" light on the dash....

Kids today have never cursed the name "Rochester Quadrajet" like I have.

Comment

Working...
                              X