This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could use advice regarding dealing with co-worker

I could use some advice regarding dealing with a co-worker of mine who is a bagger/courtesy clerk at the grocery store I work at.

He is gruff and grumpy at least 70% of the time I deal with him.

He is retired, but he works to make ends meet.

Yesterday at work while he was sacking the groceries for the customer whom I was scanning their groceries, he complained out-loud "you need to stop scanning so I can organize the groceries." The customer did not request this. Also there were other customers waiting in line.

So I stopped scanning her groceries even though there was more to scan. I stood there waiting while he organized the groceries. During that time he said "you can bag her groceries as well." I answered "I was just waiting for you to do your thing." So I bagged her groceries.

At the end of the transaction the customer gave me a look of *sorry you had to deal with this*

There is a personality clash between the bagger and me. Plus there was not a need for him to organize her groceries, but he chose to.

What is the best way to deal with this situation as well as our personality clash?

I would request that management get involved in this. It's what they're paid to do, after all, and I'm assuming you don't have authority to counsel the bagger yourself.

I could be wrong about this, but it sounds to me like the guy is pissed off about having to work, even though he's technically retired, and he's further pissed off that he's doing an 'entry level' job instead of anything even remotely like what he did before retirement. And it sounds like he's perfectly willing to take his frustrations out on anyone near him. I sympathize with him, I really do, but an attitude like that is poison. It will lead to complaints which will in turn leads to unpleasant things for the rest of the employees there.

Comment

Quoth CyberLurch View Post
      I would request that management get involved in this.
      Ditto. They should talk to him about 1) his bossiness and 2) his intentionally slowing down the lines.

Out of curiosity, was the bagging area already so full that there was no more room to place groceries? If there was still room, I'd simply ignore bossy bagger and keep scanning. I'd say "I'm sorry, I have to keep scanning", and then do so. Once the items were scanned, then and only then would I bag. If he knows he can browbeat you to get his way, he will continue bossing you around. You can stand up for yourself without stooping to his level or telling him what you really think of his antics.
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth snugglegirl05 View Post
        Yesterday at work while he was sacking the groceries for the customer whom I was scanning their groceries, he complained out-loud "you need to stop scanning so I can organize the groceries."
        I've never heard a bagger tell the cashier what to do. If the cashier is going super fast, and the bagger can't keep up, the cashier just keeps going, finishes the transaction, and then helps finish bagging the items. So you might somehow say "don't worry, I'll give you a hand in a sec."

Or whatever seems appropriate, unless it would be better to bypass him altogether and report him. It seems like he'll get mad at you if you do anything other than what he said, so I'd be prepared for some major sulking if you don't go along with his bossiness.
        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

unless your store is drastically different, they require you to have a certain scanning number? If you stop to let him organize, your number will go down which will get you in trouble. Will he cover any loss of pay that could cause or any hours you lose because you are no longer fast enough to get the busier hours? I doubt it. If he orders you again, politely let him know you cannot stop scanning as baggers are presumed to be able to handle their job (probably not as bluntly as i would) and if he gives you a problem go to management.

Comment

The only organization that really NEEDS to be done is keeping chemicals away from food, raw meats away from everything else, and fragile items away from heavy ones. He should be able to accomplish that without stopping the line.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I used the advice on this thread, compiled a document directed to the Front End Manager, and left it in my till at the register I worked at on Friday. I "painted a picture" of what happened during the entire situation, including the fact that there was a line of people waiting to be checked out, the reaction of the customer whom I was scanning groceries for at that time, and asked if I am supposed to follow his directions when he is bagging the customers groceries while I am scanning them.

I am off this weekend.

I will have to wait and see what happens.

Comment

Update

The Front End Manager had a discussion with me regarding the note I left last week.

Turns out the bagger is a long-time employee who is set in his ways.

She does realize that he does not have the best attitude, but we all have to make the best of it when dealing with him.

So I will let the customers complain about him from now on if they choose to.

Comment

Quoth snugglegirl05 View Post

Turns out the bagger is a long-time employee who is set in his ways.

She does realize that he does not have the best attitude, but we all have to make the best of it when dealing with him.

This is the biggest bull shit excuse and I hate when managers use it. it's an excuse not to address an issue. So at this point, you apparently have authority to handle this the way you feel is best. So when he tells you to slow down, say "Don't worry! When I finish scanning, I'll help you bag"

"Sorry! don't want to keep this nice lady waiting to check out!"

or whatever you feel is best. Don't sacrifice your scan time for his grumpiness. Smile and be sweet. it will probably piss him off more.

Comment

Quoth April View Post
                    This is the biggest bull shit excuse and I hate when managers use it. it's an excuse not to address an issue. So at this point, you apparently have authority to handle this the way you feel is best. So when he tells you to slow down, say "Don't worry! When I finish scanning, I'll help you bag"

"Sorry! don't want to keep this nice lady waiting to check out!"

or whatever you feel is best. Don't sacrifice your scan time for his grumpiness. Smile and be sweet. it will probably piss him off more.
                    I feel that Kroger management is delaying the obvious until absolutely necessary.

Then management will be forced to address the situation.

But at that point it will be a bigger mess.

Instead management should find other job duties he can do so that he can still keep his job.

One of my co-workers, a courtesy clerk, told me that he does not like the fact that the morning courtesy clerks do not bother retrieving the carts that are outside in the parking lot. That includes the long-time courtesy clerk who is mentioned in my post as well as another long-time courtesy clerk.

Since Kroger has a union, he said that he will contact our union representative about this.

Comment

Working...
                    X