This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas Creep

In looking up the title phrase, I found that we've all been complaining about early holiday marketing for a long, long time. (and disagreeing with each other over it, lol!) Oh well, I don't want to start a debate, I just found those to be interesting reading and we can come up with our own conclusions.

What I actually wanted was to post these pictures and I didn't want to take over the other thread. I took the pictures on the 26th of June, but we receive our freight on Mondays. That means we had these carts of stock since Monday, the 20th of June. See how happy the freight team was?

It looks like we'd already got Autumn stocked by that point, it must have been floral. Oh goodness I'm NOT looking forward to Halloween. And now a little sidebar about our particular store. Last year we had Scary Poppins managing the store. The weeks around Halloween were staffed as well as possible, while still making corporate somewhat happy. The year before we had New Manager, and she was TERRIBLE. She came from a small town, small format store, and in her own words "Halloween isn't that busy." Welcome to a large store, in a larger college town. Our fabric go backs were piled on the floor and counters. There was a small path to walk in behind the counter.

Why am I bothering with these super fun stories? Well, this Halloween we will have another store manager! She hasn't started at our store yet, but she ALSO comes from a small format store. This does not bode well. I can only hope she will listen to our current management team and staff the store appropriately. Ha. Ha. Ha.
    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

"Halloween isn't that busy." lollololololololololol!!!

People will come in the day of Halloween looking for materials to whip up a last second costume. Certain colors of tulle will be sold out for weeks beforehand. Not busy at all!

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
      The year before we had New Manager, and she was TERRIBLE. She came from a small town, small format store, and in her own words "Halloween isn't that busy." Welcome to a large store, in a larger college town. Our fabric go backs were piled on the floor and counters. There was a small path to walk in behind the counter.
      Oh yes, been there done that. And I'm in a large format store (and also in a large college town!), and my manager has been with us for many years and really should've scheduled us better. I hope she does schedule us better this year, but I'm not holding my breath.

So yeah, if your manager thinks Halloween will be a breeze, you have my permission to print off my linked post and show her what a fustercluck Halloween in a large format store can be.

PS: loved the little signs on the carts! I rather enjoyed setting the Halloween POGs (we've got some pretty cool stuff this year), but it was irritating to try to clear out the leftover spring and summer merchandise. We've still got far too much of it left.
      Last edited by XCashier; 08-25-2016, 04:13 AM. Reason: forgot something
      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
      My LiveJournal
      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Maybe the mismanagement is just trying to scare you? After all, it is going to be All Hallow's Eve.
        Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Your Hallowe'en is probably like our Back to School. Both are frightening.
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth chimera View Post
            People will come in the day of Halloween looking for materials to whip up a last second costume. Certain colors of tulle will be sold out for weeks beforehand. Not busy at all!
            ...And then the day after to try and force you return most or all of it. #1 excuse: "We didn't use/wear it!" Yeah right.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
              ...And then the day after to try and force you return most or all of it. #1 excuse: "We didn't use/wear it!" Yeah right.
              Of course it's been washed and cut up into pattern pieces.
              My LiveJournal

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                Oh yes, been there done that. And I'm in a large format store (and also in a large college town!), and my manager has been with us for many years and really should've scheduled us better. I hope she does schedule us better this year, but I'm not holding my breath.

So yeah, if your manager thinks Halloween will be a breeze, you have my permission to print off my linked post and show her what a fustercluck Halloween in a large format store can be.

PS: loved the little signs on the carts! I rather enjoyed setting the Halloween POGs (we've got some pretty cool stuff this year), but it was irritating to try to clear out the leftover spring and summer merchandise. We've still got far too much of it left.
                You're city is much bigger than ours is, too! I think part of the problem is that our city is like 80k people, BUT we get a huge amount of business from the large city to our north, which is like 600k. And we had an entire store's worth of employees begging New Manager to please give us more shifts, but she didn't listen to us. So that will be a test for our incoming SM. If she has a clue she will listen to us.

We also had a lot of old merchandise to move, and a whole bunch of clearance. We have a bottle cart up front with just clearance on it. One day for about half of my shift I got to just sit in the stock room and mark all of it. It was my DREAM DAY. I wasn't on the floor while we were open at all.
                Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                  We also had a lot of old merchandise to move, and a whole bunch of clearance....One day for about half of my shift I got to just sit in the stock room and mark all of it. It was my DREAM DAY. I wasn't on the floor while we were open at all.
                  Ah yes, a work day without having to deal with customers is a blessing. It's why I requested the early morning stocking shift.
                  My LiveJournal

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                    ... stocking shift.
                    So you wouldn't feel hosed?
                    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                      So you wouldn't feel hosed?
                      And I can sock it to the company!
                      My LiveJournal

Comment

Working...
                      X