Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"You're a Sandwich Makin' HO!" (kind of long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth HorrorFrogPrincess View Post
    Wow, that's epically messed-up.

Yeah, lady, slavery has been illegal for over a century, and this generation is typically non-racist, so get over yourself. (Seriously, has anyone ever met someone under the age of 30 who was racist? 'Cause I haven't.)
    I have, actually.... and it always shocks the hell out of me!

Lady was epic suckiness personified!
    GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Quoth NightWatch View Post
      Ah yes, the race card... I got accused of enslaving black people once. I just brought up the fact that I was Irish and when my family came over to the states they worked on the railroads and probably didn't have a pot to piss in, nevermind a fancy-pants slave.
      You too? I got called a racist slave owner even though by the time my family came to the states slavery had been abolished for over 50 years.

And yes I too am of a family that was Irish and were lucky to have a moldy potato to their name.

M
      I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

Quoth TheTigress View Post
        Considering I'm 1/8th Native American I can bring up the fact that my ancestors were nearly exterminated to extinction and driven away from their land and put in reserves. (if someone were to ever play the race card to me)
        I knew a guy who used to do exactly that.
        "Chief" (yes, a horribly un-PC nickname... yet, he came up with it and preferred to be called this) was 100% Native American and would sometimes have people pull the race card with him, thinking he was Caucasian, due to his abnormally lighter skin color.
        "It's not easy being evil in a world that's gone to Hell" ~ Anton LaVey

Comment

(Seriously, has anyone ever met someone under the age of 30 who was racist? 'Cause I haven't.)
          Eh you're lucky then. I've met them from several races now... White racists, black racists, Filipeno racists, just to name a few. Basically they were all the same... if you weren't their color or background you were dirty and nasty.

And heaven forbid you had an argument with someone of the same race group cos... oh yeah the racial hatred came out... cos then they'd "assume" your argument was race-based... so then they'd feel it was ok to be racist against you in return. (obviously they wouldn't realize that you argued with person Y because you felt the person was a jerk, and had nothing to do with their epidermis or hair or genetics)

but... i'm cheap. i'd rather get the $5 footlong and eat half for lunch and half for dinner. like i did just 2 nights ago. it was tasty too... dad even asked to see the inside of my sammich.

Comment

HorrorFrogPrincess,

Someone I went to school with did a study on the racial prejudices of children and found that, like many things, they are often passed on by the parents. So, yes. She spoke with children of several different age groups and asked them simple questions about race, then asked their parents the same questions. When she got answers from their parents that revealed a racial bias, most often the children's answers were the same or similarly biased despite them having been asked first (so they couldn't have heard the specific answers to those questions from parents).

On Topic: Man, T-Mobile ho has PROBLEMS. I wonder if she treats her customers and coworkers that way-- or better yet, how she'd like it if you came to T-Mobile and she quoted you a price, and you said, "You're only saying that because I'm _____________!"
            My basic dog food advice - send a pm if you need more.

Saydrah's leaving the nest advice + packing list live here.

Comment

Around here, you're more likely to find racists (and young ones at that) in the one horse three tavern towns with less than 5,000 people.

Even in the bigger cities there is some, but because there is more of a melting pot going on here, people are more open minded and don't really care or notice as much as someone who barely steps off the farm or goes anywhere beyond the small town market.

It's just the way it is around here. I'm sure there are small towns elsewhere that are different.
              You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Sandwich makin' ho....
                Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

(Seriously, has anyone ever met someone under the age of 30 who was racist? 'Cause I haven't.)
                  I've seen several young people who believe stereotypes, it's not uncommon

Comment

Racism and other forms of prejudice still exist (often very insidiously) in mixed-race settings, but it's just not nearly as blunt and stupid as when people get to live only among others who look and think like them. A kid going to a city school with a bunch of ethnic groups might think "black kids annoy me," but he's not going to think that "blacks can see in the dark" or "black women have chocolate milk." I'm sorry to say those are real examples; my mostly-white gradeschool had some very gullible kids.

For a different example, when my Catholic cousins moved down to a very fundamentalist Protestant section of South Carolina, one kid asked them if it was true that Catholics eat babies. I wish I could believe that people grow up out of such stupidity but when I worked as an office temp I discovered with horror how many people believe every stupid e-mail forward they receive. How can such a large portion of our species never develop a little healthy skepticism? I can only conclude that certain forms of stupidity are enjoyable, or at least comforting.

Comment

I had trash thrown at my car and then the car blocked and a fight ensue all because I a white woman *gasp* gave a black man a ride in my car!

Comment

Quoth DevilBoy View Post
                        I knew a guy who used to do exactly that.
                        "Chief" (yes, a horribly un-PC nickname... yet, he came up with it and preferred to be called this) was 100% Native American and would sometimes have people pull the race card with him, thinking he was Caucasian, due to his abnormally lighter skin color.
                        My husband gets this all the time. People assume that, because he has blue eyes, he has no Native American ancestry. His father is 1/2, and his mother is 3/8. Of course, they also assume he's racist, until they see him with me...
                        MySpace

Comment

I suggest not googling for 'Prussian Blue'. They're a couple of young ladies who sing white supremacist songs, and I think they started when they weren't even teens. I may be wrong on a few details, but I think they're still below eighteen-years-old.

Rapscallion

Comment

This may be a bit mean, but can we dump all the racist people in a pit and leave them there?
                            Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

My older brother married a black girl, and I have to say that if I ever heard anyone making racist remarks, I'd punch them in the face. My sister in law is lovely and my niece is gorgeous (SIL sent over photos showing niece's first smile! ^^) and to me, anyone who makes nasty remarks is just pond slime.

I've had a black girl pull the race card with me at work. She said I was IDing her cuz she was black. I replied, "No, I'm IDing you cuz you don't look 18." -.-
                              People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                              My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth tamezin View Post
                                Depends on what area of the country you live in, remember kids learn it from their parents etc. Also there is a new brand of racism cropping up in the U.S. don't let anyone find out you are hispanic. God forbid.

My daughter entered middle school this year. There is a larger than average population this year of kids who do not speak english. My daughter is very fair complected so most people can't immediately tell her heritage. She won't let anyone know she speaks spanish, because the first day of school they segregated all of the 'brown' skin kids and put them in ESL classes. One girl they put in the class has been here since she was 3 years old, and doesn't even remember how to speak spanish.
                                ...Dude.

That's just...

Ah'un'geddit.

Comment

Working...
                                X