X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One step away from a Darwin

This happened a couple of years ago;

It was a Saturday lunchtime, it was hot and we were uber busy

Enter two famailes, both very low on the evolutionary ladder and severely lacking in the brains department

The 4 adults ordered at the bar while the 3 little ankle biters ran around the pub causing mayhem. Luckily before they were called up on it, they went to sit in the garden.

The so called 'parents' sit there in the sun, knocking back glass after glass of wine while the ankle biters tear round the car park like it's a playground. Cars are still coming in and out.

The landlord goes out there before an accident occurs

LL - Super Landlord Guy, famous in our town for not giving a damn what the customers think

SP- Sucky Parent

LL Oi, would you mind keeping an eye on your kids, they're not allowed to play in the car park

SP Why not?

LL Well cars tend to come in pretty fast and I don't want one of your kids to be knocked over

SP Well you stop them then, While they're on your property they are YOUR responsibility

The landlord, who is not the friendliest of guys at he best of times went mad and suffice to say, they wont be drinking here again anytime soon!

http://darwinawards.com/darwin/
    The Darwin Awards salute the improvement of
    the human genome by honoring those who
    accidentally remove themselves from it...
    Last edited by pookalamouche; 05-13-2007, 11:51 PM. Reason: :)

So what did he say to them to resolve the situation?

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
      So what did he say to them to resolve the situation?
      I believe it was something along the lines of

"If I wanted to play nanny to some hyperactive little brats, I would have had some 40 years ago. Either get those kids under control or get out."

It sounds a little harsh but the kids were completely out of control, the landlady had asked one of the dads earlier to keep an eye on them and the parents had a good half an hour to sort them out before the landlord said anything

The landlord is a very grumpy old man... very grumpy

Comment

Why the hell do people think if they are on someone else's property they are suddenly not responsible for their kids??!!
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

He may be grumpy, but he is AWESOME! I would've paid to see that!
          Be like the flower that perfumes the very hand that crushes it.

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
            Why the hell do people think if they are on someone else's property they are suddenly not responsible for their kids??!!
            They're stupid and self-centered; the worst kind of parents. And sadly, they breed still more stupid, self-centered future parents.

My child is MY responsibility, all the time, 24/7. Don't care where we are, I am in charge of him. I wouldn't even consider demanding a restaurant manager/store manager/other to take responsibility for him just because I am a customer.
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

It's the whole "village to raise a child" mentality.

That's great when the entire village knows everybody by name. Once you get beyond that, however, you keep an eye on your own children and I'll keep an eye on mine.

Oh, yeah. I don't have any. That must be because I don't want to be keeping an eye on kids at all. Ever.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

maybe if conception was as painful as giving birth there would be more thought put into procreating.... then less stupid, lazy people would breed!
                Everything sucks. I must be living in a vacuum.

Comment

Forget warning them a second time - just call Child Protective Services. Idiots.

Comment

on the 'it takes a whole village to raise a child' saying, this situation is what happens when the idiot(s) leave the village.
                    look! it's ghengis khan!
                    Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth Foxglove8778 View Post
                      maybe if conception was as painful as giving birth there would be more thought put into procreating.... then less stupid, lazy people would breed!
                      I got that part covered, unfortunately ow.
                      Aw well, at least I don't want kids anyway.
                      Now would be a good time to visit So Very Unofficial!

"I've had so many nasty customers this week, my bottomless pit is now ankle-deep."-Me.

Comment

Quoth pookalamouche View Post
                        SP Well you stop them then, While they're on your property they are YOUR responsibility
                        Are you kidding me? They actually said that? So, if the child gets ran over, knocked down, kidnapped, gets sick, it's your fault? That's messed up. . . Did no one teach these parents responsibility? They need to take the blinders off their eyes and look around, as the place is no damned childcare facility.

Quoth bannedanna
                        My new favorite way to deal with unwatched young children is to give them a note to take to mommy.

The note says:

I could be in someone's trunk right now
                        That's just evil enough to work actually. Puts the point across real fast.
                        This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

What there needs to be is a legal way to kidnap a kid. Like, if you find one running around loose somewhere and no parents come looking for them within five minutes, you can pick them up and turn them in to the police, and their parents have to come and pay some kind of deposit to get them back, or else the kid goes to adoption.

I know, so totally illegal and immoral, but the first time a parent had to pay like, $5,000 to get their kid out, they'd keep an eye on them. And if not, the kid might get the luck of a better family.
                          "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

Then there are the parents who make no attempt to control their child, but yell at you for doing so. I never say anything, but I will give kids the LOOK and they will usually stop what they are doing.
                            I have PMS and a black belt. Any questions?

This random moment is brought to you by the letters A D and D.

Comment

Quoth MystyGlyttyr View Post
                              What there needs to be is a legal way to kidnap a kid. Like, if you find one running around loose somewhere and no parents come looking for them within five minutes, you can pick them up and turn them in to the police, and their parents have to come and pay some kind of deposit to get them back, or else the kid goes to adoption.

I know, so totally illegal and immoral, but the first time a parent had to pay like, $5,000 to get their kid out, they'd keep an eye on them. And if not, the kid might get the luck of a better family.
                              there is, you call the police and report an unsupervised/abandoned child. then the parents get to live through hell as child and family services checks in on them constantly as potentially abusive/neglegent parents
                              DILLIGAF

Comment

Working...
                              X