This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Music Mo-Gal View Post
    No question the guy was rude and out of line. But I don't get why 3 employees refused to just witness the document for the guy.
    Ummm, because they don't know the guy?

It would've been nice for them to sign or witness or do whatever, but the store chose not to for their own reasons, and being told no =/=rude, unless you happen to be an EW.

Quoth Music Mo-Gal
    I hope none of you are ever in a situation where you need a witness for a document and people refuse to help you.
    I can say with almost 100% certainty that will not happen to me, because I have the common sense Gord gave a goose, and would take the document to a notary or somebody who knows me and my history, and not to some wage-peon who doesn't know me from Adam.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Music Mo-Gal
      I hope none of you are ever in a situation where you need a witness for a document and people refuse to help you.
      When I'm in that situation, I don't wait till I'm at the store where nobody knows me, I'm with family. I'm not gonna start asking Pierre-Jean-Jacques to sign gov'ment papers to prove I'm me. I will actively seek people that I know/know me.

And if I were on the other side of the counter, I wouldn't sign either. I don't want my name, especially in my handwriting, on an alleged legal document I know nothing about.

It's basically...
      Now would be a good time to visit So Very Unofficial!

"I've had so many nasty customers this week, my bottomless pit is now ankle-deep."-Me.

Comment

Shironu, your linky make me giggle muchly.

Honestly, I wouldn't have signed either. But then, I would have made sure the paperwork was signed by a witness or two before I left to get it faxed off.
        Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Bottom line, nobody has any obligation whatsoever to sign a legal document if they don't want to. None of the retail staff have that in their job description. It may be a nicety, and kudos to you if you'd do it for a complete stranger, but it's very much indeed their absolute and total right to say "No, I'm not signing that".

Comment

One-Fang, have I ever gave you a cookie?

*gives cookies*
            Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
              Ummm, because they don't know the guy?

It would've been nice for them to sign or witness or do whatever, but the store chose not to for their own reasons, and being told no =/=rude, unless you happen to be an EW.

I can say with almost 100% certainty that will not happen to me, because I have the common sense Gord gave a goose, and would take the document to a notary or somebody who knows me and my history, and not to some wage-peon who doesn't know me from Adam.

If you had the sense God gave a goose, then you would certainly NOT take a document to a notary to be witnessed! Notaries notarize; they don't witness.

Quoth Shironu-Akaineko View Post
              When I'm in that situation, I don't wait till I'm at the store where nobody knows me, I'm with family. I'm not gonna start asking Pierre-Jean-Jacques to sign gov'ment papers to prove I'm me. I will actively seek people that I know/know me.

And if I were on the other side of the counter, I wouldn't sign either. I don't want my name, especially in my handwriting, on an alleged legal document I know nothing about.

It's basically...
              I'm guessing the guy didn't realize the thing needed to be witnessed and ran out to the store to fax it in a hurry. Poor planning, certainly; but not sucky.

And for the zillionth time, a witness doesn't NEED to know what the document is about: they just need to watch the person SIGN IT!

There is an astonishing amount of legal ignorance in this thread.
              Last edited by Broomjockey; 11-16-2008, 10:28 AM. Reason: multi-quote

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
                I would have made sure the paperwork was signed by a witness or two before I left to get it faxed off.
                AND you would have done it on time, not at the last minute like JFC man probably did from the sound of it AND you would have handled the situation like an actual grown up AND you would have the time/patience to look for people willing to sign for you, ergo family and friends.

But Eh...
                Not mister JFC man.

"I've had so many nasty customers this week, my bottomless pit is now ankle-deep."-Me.

Comment

By the way, is anyone else here a notary (besides me), a paralegal (besides me) or an attorney? Because if not, then please stop arguing with me when you don't know what you are talking about.

Comment

Quoth Music Mo-Gal

there is an astonishing amount of people who do not wish to put their names on a stranger's paper in case of liability or possible forgery in this thread.

Comment

Quoth Music Mo-Gal View Post
                      I happen to be a notary public. There is a big difference between notarizing a document (something only a notary can do) and witnessing. Witnessing can be done by anybody and it just involves watching the person sign the form. That's IT!
                      I'm a mortgage agent. I work with real estate brokers and salespeople in the same office. All of our forms need a witness. Well, except the ones where we are the only people to sign.

Witness = Watch them sign it

Notarize = Watch them sign it and stamp it, because the party signing it is providing a legal declaration that something is true.

Now, if some random person came to us and asked me to witness a document, I would ensure that it requires a witness, and sign it. But I would not expect that you can go anywhere and have someone sign it.

Need a signature witnessed? There are co-workers, family members and friends.
                      Otaku

Comment

Quoth Music Mo-Gal
                        If you had the sense God gave a goose, then you would certainly NOT take a document to a notary to be witnessed! Notaries notarize; they don't witness.
                        So I was wrong for once in my life.

You seem to be the only person in this thread who knows this kind of thing. No need to lord it over the rest of us or berate the OP.

Quoth Music Mo-Gal
                        Not to mention an astonishing amount of hot air.

Quoth Music Mo-Gal
                        By the way, is anyone else here a notary (besides me), a paralegal (besides me) or an attorney? Because if not, then please stop arguing with me when you don't know what you are talking about.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                          So I was wrong for once in my life.
                          Should this be a documented moment? I can see the headlines now!

IRV PROVED WRONG! Fangirls weep with pain!

Story at 11!

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
                            Should this be a documented moment? I can see the headlines now!

IRV PROVED WRONG! Fangirls weep with pain!

Story at 11!
                            Nah. I'm only human.

Comment

That reminds me, how's your glitter snortin' addiction?

Comment

It's been well taken care of the past week!

We've been purging Christmas items out of the backroom whenever we have free time to do it.

Comment

Working...
                                X