This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fix my computer!

So, today was a quiet day for us. I was working the late shift (12pm-8pm) which I had been drafted onto because of staff sickness. Why they did that, I do not know since the techs spent most of our time in the tech wasting time, since we got all the jobs out the way.

So, this guy walks in. I look up from playing solitaire on the tech centre’s laptop (I was facing the customer service desk, no one could see what was on the laptop screen) and see him just putting his computer down on the counter. No one else is in the department at that point (the other guys are out the back sorting something or other out) so I go out to help him. The conversation went like this;

Me: Hiya. You being seen you?
    SC: Nope
    Me: Ok. How can I help?
    SC: I bought this computer from Staples. Its broken, I need it fixing

Bear in mind, I do not work for staples. I work for a computer superstore

Me: Ok. It’s £69.99 plus parts. What’s the trouble with it?
    SC: I’m not paying that. It’s still under warranty. I demand you honour the warranty
    Me: You didn’t buy the computer from us. I don’t have to honour any warranty.
    SC: You are going to do the work under the computer’s 12 month warranty
    Me: No. I’m not.
    SC: Why not?
    Me: You bought the computer from STAPLES this is not staples. This computer isn’t even a brand we sell. Your warranty is with them. If you need to get to staples, come out of this retail park, heading past B&Q, go left at the round-about, then right. Past the traffic lights, right at the roundabout, then right at the next one, that will bring you onto the keyway. Staples is there. They are still open.
    SC: You sell computers, so you should fix it
    Me: No.
    SC: It’s my right under the sales of good act that you should fix it

We get a LOT of customers trying the sales of goods act one on us, and the consumer credit act so we keep copies of both by each till point on the customer service/tech desk. We have 4 till points there

Me: [Picks up a copy of the sales of goods act] Okay, this is a copy of the sales of goods act. [hands it to him] printed directly from the information office’s website. If you can point out to me where it says I must do work under another company’s warranty, I’ll do it.

So he stands there for about 10 minutes absolutely scrutinising the act. Needless to say, he finds nothing. By now, staples will be waiting to close and he won’t get there in time

SC: So, how did you say to get to staples from here?
    Me: [gives him the directions again] but you’ll never get there in time now
    SC: WHAT?! You mean to say you kept me here all this time and now I can’t get my computer fixed. I demand you pay me for my time wasted and the petrol it will waste bringing my computer back tomorrow
    Me: I’m not paying you anything. YOU stood around argueing, YOU stood around reading the sales of goods act. It is YOUR fault. I am not giving you anything.

That was just about the end of it. He stormed out, presumably to go and try to get to staples in time. It wasn’t until I was back at the computer I realised I didn’t even know what the fault was with his computer. ^^;
    -The one, The Only, AdvancedFlea-

Stick that in your blog and smoke it.

A guide for customers about retail

Hang on, Flea-bit, while I point and laugh.

*Does so*

*Long and hard*

Okay, I'm done.

That guy was a dick (on a stick!).
    Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

I love your reaction to everything he was saying.
      It was like saying, in so many words, "The fact that you're an idiot is not my responsibility."
      Golden.

Comment

Good work.
        I don't understand why, when you pointed out that he had to go to Staples, that he still insisted you do the work. It's surely not because he likes your store that much. Probably because he was standing there right then.
        Excuse me, good sir paladin, can you direct me to your EVIL district?

http://www.dywhcomic.com

Comment

Quoth AdvancedFlea View Post
          SC: You are going to do the work under the computer’s 12 month warranty

You gotta love the ol' Jedi mind trick.

Comment

What a tool! Why stand there and argue when he could've just gone down the road?
            "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

That was just about the end of it. He stormed out, presumably to go and try to get to staples in time. It wasn’t until I was back at the computer I realised I didn’t even know what the fault was with his computer. ^^;
              Easy, the (l)user!

Comment

This is not the end

He will now arrive at Staples exactly one minute before they close their doors. The techs are not in at such a late hour if it runs the way the Staples near me does.

So some young person who owns a computer (ie knows some technical terms) but is not a tech will try to ask what is wrong to leave a clue to the techs when they come the following day, and get the answer "It doesn't work." and time and time again. Worse, if (s)he uses too many technical terms the customer will insist that they are really a tech to lazy to do the work now, and demand they fix it right now.

PS. Who is willing to bet me against the problem not being in the computer but rather the monitor/modem/printer/scanner/keyboard/mouse that he left at home.

PSS. And if any of his equipment is wireless that he has not changed/charged the batteries.
                Last edited by earl colby pottinger; 05-22-2008, 04:06 AM.

Comment

Yep, I'm gonna bet dollars to nickel that this is a textbook PEBCAK case.
                  "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

Quoth RetailWorkhorse View Post
                    Hang on, Flea-bit, while I point and laugh.

*Does so*

*Long and hard*

Okay, I'm done.

That guy was a dick (on a stick!).
                    Yeah, I had a feeling you'd like this one XD

Quoth rerant View Post
                    I love your reaction to everything he was saying.
                    It was like saying, in so many words, "The fact that you're an idiot is not my responsibility."
                    Golden.
                    it is SO tempting to say that to people, sometimes. I have been knowen to say in the past "I'm am not exchangeing or refunding this because you don't know how to use it. you need to read the instruction book. It's on display, you had plenty of time to fiddle about with it before you bought it. if you have decided now that you can't use it, thats not my problem." which is a roundabout way of saying "It's not my fault your an idiot"

Quoth Apathy View Post
                    Good work.
                    I don't understand why, when you pointed out that he had to go to Staples, that he still insisted you do the work. It's surely not because he likes your store that much. Probably because he was standing there right then.
                    well, as far as people liking the company I work for goes...the oppinion is divided ^^; I think he must have had the mentality of "It's a computer. they sell computers. they fix computers under all warrentys" admittedly, we do have a sign up that says "Your No.1 choice for repair. we fix all makes. don;t worry if you didn't buy it from us" which is ASKING for idiots.

Quoth marasbaras View Post
                    What a tool! Why stand there and argue when he could've just gone down the road?
                    The recepit he had wasn't from the staples on the keyway, It was for one somewhere in Worcestershire. I doubt he knew where it was ^^; but some people will do that. I mean, we've had people demand we offer a photocopying/fax/photo printing service to them when they just can't be arsed to drive to the keyway to staples.

Quoth bendertiger View Post
                    Easy, the (l)user!
                    XD we have a few acronyms for problems of THAT nature

The Eye-dee-ten-tee Virus which if you say it,sounds better...but if you write it down it comes out as: ID10T

The "Picnic" Virus. Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

or "You are a Customer That Urgently Needs Training" which comes out as "You are a C.U.N.T"

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
                    And if any of his equipment is wireless that he has not changed/charged the batteries.
                    Well, it wasn't wireless, it was a desktop PC so atleast THAT wasn't the problem.

I doubt that's going to happen. Over here (UK) staples is really just an office supply store, they dont have anywhere near the range of computers that Staples US and Canada do because the company I work for make it uneconomical for them so they don't have tech desks. They take the computers in, send them away to their local repair centre and go off what their techs say. But saying that, they leave someone on their customer service desk all the time that knows computers...by "knows computers" what I really mean is as you said; "Owns one and barely understands it"

Quoth Samaliel View Post
                    Yep, I'm gonna bet dollars to nickel that this is a textbook PEBCAK case.
                    XD Nah, it's got to be the I D 1 0 T virus
                    Last edited by Ree; 05-25-2008, 11:50 PM. Reason: Excessive quoting
                    -The one, The Only, AdvancedFlea-

Stick that in your blog and smoke it.

A guide for customers about retail

Comment

I sense a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of brain cells cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced....

Dear me, that would be mine.

One just has to wonder how these people manage to get through life without getting the living hell slapped out of them.
                      A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.....

Comment

I like the sound of ID-ten-T, but because it sounds so close to "identity", I first thought it was related to identity theft, like someone blatantly trying to use some one else's card, or some one who will admit to having given personal data to somebody as close to a random stranger as possible.

But I really like the sound and meaning of Pic-Nic. So much nicer than PEBCAK, although PEBCAK can't quite be confused with anything else.
                        "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

Great way to tell the guy "It's not my fault you're an idiot for not going to Staples for your computer". What a jackass.
                          I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                          Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                          Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Should have told him that those Trojan Rabbits are mighty tricky to catch.

Cookie for whoever gets the reference.
                            I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

Trojan Rabbits require the use of the Holy Antivirus of Antioch, right ?

Comment

Working...
                              X