This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *snerk*

While sitting at my desk, I get emails when servers go down, or are otherwise inaccessible to our monitoring tools for more than 5 min. Quite often, our Hong Kong site will be doing work on their servers during the day (their time) and I'll have them go down for a short time. I generally don't worry about it unless they stay down, or, as tonight, go up and down a lot, followed by what appears to be a hard down.

So I send an email to their server guy:

R;
    I've keep seeing alarms about <servernanme> dropping off the network. Each time it responded again within a few moments, but this time it seems to be down for good. Do you need any help from the NT team on this?
    I got the following reply about 30 min later:

J, <--Me

<Head of Corp IT> is helping us to do the configuration on <servername> which causing the problems. No need for help from NT team and thanks for your reminding.

R
    emphasis mine

It's nice to know the head of our IT department is helping out and all....

Eric the Grey
    In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

*lol* That's great.
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Older but wiser

I know i am getting old, and many (most?) of the computer tech of today I don't fully understand.

There is few things sadder than a technical person (does not have to be computers) who moves up the ladder (or even started the company in the first place) trying to prove that he still has what it takes to do the low level work today.

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
        I know i am getting old, and many (most?) of the computer tech of today I don't fully understand.
        Yes, but you know one of the fundamental tech rules: If you don't know what to do, don't touch anything.

And true, it's sad whenthis happens, but at the same time, hilarious for those observing.
        I AM the evil bastard!
        A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

But

Quoth lordlundar View Post
          Yes, but you know one of the fundamental tech rules: If you don't know what to do, don't touch anything.
          Personally, I still have the urge to touch. My saving grace is I admit to myself that I don't know what I am doing, then I:

1) Google it.

2) Ask someone who does know.

and
          3) If I do mess it up blame no-one but myself, then buy a new replacement. Yes, I have seen a lot of magic smoke.

Comment

You know, my oppinion is currently the completely opposite. it might not be his job, and a high rank person (the position I'm on right now) might be rusty on certain deep tech topics (I train on my second job and weekends) but I feel if they're unable to resolve the problem, even slowly and by relearning on the fly, they're also going to be out of contact of the processes, and thus take decisions that are either technically unsound, or a big burden to the manpower in the company, which results in higher TCOs and a predisposition to project failure.
            I pet animals, I rescue insects, I hug trees.

"I picture the lead singer of Gwar screaming 'People of Japan, look at my balls! My swinging pendulous balls!!!'" -- Khyras

Comment

Working...
            X