Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've seen two of the so-called smart cars around here. I figure Darwin will take care of them soon enough.

Looking at them, though, how COULD they get good mileage? They're built like a sail. Getting one up to speed is going to mean those microscopic go-kart wheels will need to be shoving it into the wind the whole way.

Heck, if people really want to be all eco-hippy-go-nuts with no cargo space, there are canopies you can put on a bicycle to reduce wind resistance; I think you can take a bike up to something like 40-50mph with one of those; there's no gas used at all, there.

As far as horses, though... they're also dumb as stumps, can't carry much of a load, and break legs on holes that result in nothing more than a loud 'CLONK' for cars

They're really pretty animals (my aunt has a horse ranch, even), but there's a reason nobody uses 'em for transport except the Amish, these days. ...come to that, even the Amish hire truckers to haul furniture, don't they?
    "Joi's CEO is about as sneaky and subtle as a two year old on crack driving an air craft carrier down Broadway." - Broomjockey

Comment

Quoth Arm View Post
      As far as horses, though... they're also dumb as stumps, can't carry much of a load, and break legs on holes that result in nothing more than a loud 'CLONK' for cars
      Let's not forget the obvious. Horses leave behind an even smellier form of pollution Also, unlike a car, they have to be fed every day. In fact, that was one selling point used by early auto companies--that you only had to 'feed' your vehicle when you used it.
      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth WhiteRose View Post

or better yet: a HORSE!
        Yeah, but they're only... *calculates* Add six...carry the two..integral of the hypotenuse divided by log 4... ONE horsepower.

Comment

I've seen Smart Cars around here a few times...each time driven by a guy....

I'd be afraid to drive one of those things on the roads. I don't drive a huge car at all (Hyundai Elantra) but if you got in an accident in one of those? You'd be toast.
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I saw one the other day that only had one wheel in the front....

Is that a different smart car?

Good lord, my bathroom is bigger than those cars. And my bathroom is like 2x2.
            You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Blas, isn't that the Urkel car?

Everytime someone rants at me 'bout bio-friendly cars or whatnot, I always have this necessity to recite Denis Leary's rant from the A-hole Song...is that bad? >(^_^);

Comment

Quoth Arm View Post
                Looking at them, though, how COULD they get good mileage? They're built like a sail. Getting one up to speed is going to mean those microscopic go-kart wheels will need to be shoving it into the wind the whole way.

Heck, if people really want to be all eco-hippy-go-nuts with no cargo space, there are canopies you can put on a bicycle to reduce wind resistance
                Because some of us have medical conditions which would make a bicycle problematic at best. As for Smart Cars, I pass one in the parking lot on my way to the LRT every day. And really, the tires aren't that small, especially compared in a ratio fashion to how large a smart car is to a regular car.

Unfortunately, if I ever get a car, my first concern shall be head room, not fuel efficiency.
                Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

I'm afraid to admit that I like Smart cars and would like one. That or a Mini Cooper.

Quoth protege View Post
                  I sat in one of those Smart cars...about a year before they went on sale in the US. A few were on the Mercedes stand at the car show. Even at 5'9" or so, I thought it was a tad cramped. You don't "sit" inside the car. Rather, you *wear* it.
                  My mom is 5'10" and she's sat in one and had plenty of head room. It's my car that she has problems with head room in.

Now the Ford Fiasco she had (or as I called it, the "Hot Wheels"), that one she *wore*!

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                  I've seen Smart Cars around here a few times...each time driven by a guy....

I'd be afraid to drive one of those things on the roads. I don't drive a huge car at all (Hyundai Elantra) but if you got in an accident in one of those? You'd be toast.
                  I'm seeing a lot more them here, especially on the west side. I just worry about all the damn big ass trucks that guys around here drive. I have yet to figure out why one of my neighbors has this huge Ford king-cab type monstrosities. He can barely walk, even with a walker, needs a step ladder to get into it, lives in an apartment, and sometimes it will be days in between times he goes out! Why does he need it, why?

Quoth blas87 View Post

Is that a different smart car?
                  I can't remember what they're called, but I think that they're electric.
                  It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
                    Could be a Reliant of some description...
                    A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Smart cars are designed for fuel efficiency, basically by being so liught they don't need as much fuel as something heavier. However, there are larger and more comfortable cars that have similar fuel efficiency. Puegot 307 diesel for one (my dad drives one).

Comment

Quoth edible_hat View Post
                        Smart cars are designed for fuel efficiency, basically by being so liught they don't need as much fuel as something heavier. However, there are larger and more comfortable cars that have similar fuel efficiency. Puegot 307 diesel for one (my dad drives one).

According to the official website it's 85.6mpg...

Comment

The Pugeot 307 diesel is around 81-82, so that's pretty close. And much more comfortable to sit in the back seat of.

Comment

This is true, although I don't have any problems sitting in the passenger seat of a smart car (I'm 6'8) but I've yet to try driving the damn thing yet.

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                              I'm afraid to admit that I like Smart cars and would like one. That or a Mini Cooper.
                              I'd go with the Mini Cooper. Of course, compared with the original version...they aren't *mini* by any means Still, cool idea.

I just worry about all the damn big ass trucks that guys around here drive. I have yet to figure out why one of my neighbors has this huge Ford king-cab type monstrosities. He can barely walk, even with a walker, needs a step ladder to get into it, lives in an apartment, and sometimes it will be days in between times he goes out! Why does he need it, why?
                              It sounds like he's compensating for something

But, I do know people who drive minivans or trucks, simply because they're easier to get into. One of my neighbors doesn't walk very well. His minivan seat is at the right height--he just sits down, swings his legs around, and closes the door. Not like a sports car, or even a sedan--with those, he has to prop himself up against the door to get out.
                              Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                                I'd go with the Mini Cooper. Of course, compared with the original version...they aren't *mini* by any means Still, cool idea.
                                Heh, I'd go with the Cooper, myself. Nekojin's been drooling after one for a while, now. And they look surprisingly roomy inside.

^-.-^
                                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                                X