Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In which a customer and a co-irker both lose their cool (lengthy)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In which a customer and a co-irker both lose their cool (lengthy)

Ok, so lately, I've been working at the restaurant named after an old man that had a farm and am rapidly working my way up the ladder - currently I'm at "Training Manager" level and going strong. Because we were short-staffed, I didn't catch the entire exchange, but I did see the 'interesting' bits.

Customer comes up and complains that the chips in their meal were cold. No problem, we offer to replace them and up-size them for no charge, he just has to wait for the fries to finish cooking.

He apparently can't wait that long however, saying that he wants a refund. His manner is starting to get a bit rude though and he happened to be talking to one of my more bitchy co-irkers that gets a bit snippy at him. He responds by shoving the tray with his meal off the counter, resulting in food and chocolate shake all over the floor. Ick. Needless to say, she is not impressed and gives him an earful, the two getting into a fierce verbal fight before she throwing a drink at him after he slung some particularly rude and sexist insults at her.

By this point I have gotten to where the argument is taking place and start to attempt (unsuccessfully) to get her to stand down so I can defuse the situation or at least delay him long enough for a restaurant manager to intervene. She pretty much ignores me and things get more heated, she eventually losing her cool and grabbing a plastic container that we keep straws in, throwing it at him and hitting him in the forehead, leaving a small gash.

He responds by going ballistic and RIPPING AN EFTPOS UNIT OUT OF OUR COUNTER, then throwing THAT at her, claiming he is going to call the cops and have her done for assault, to which I respond that the police are already on their way - we pushed the panic alarm in the early stages, which lets the security company know that police presence is necessary.

I didn't catch much of what happened after the cops arrived as the conversation between them, my co-irker and management moved into one of the meeting rooms, but from what I heard later, no charges are being filed by the male for assault, primarily because he knew that if he did, we could counter-charge for criminal damage of private property. As to the fate of my co-irker, that will be up to head-office.
    Violets are blue,
    Roses are red,
    I bequeath to thee...
    A boot to the head >_>

Wow, that's a mess. I can sympathize with her, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if they let her go. At least he didn't file charges.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Wow, your coworker...really shouldn't work in customer service. And yes, I think she should be fired. The customer isn't blameless and acted like a child, but did I read this correctly that coworker threw both a drink and an object that caused injury? Good grief.
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

I think the strongest weight-bearing factor will be that not only was it irresponsible and bad for the company's image, but it also put ALL of the staff at risk, because if he had jumped the counter and started beating her up (which he could easily have done - he was a big Pacific Island guy and was furious), if any of us had intervened and tried to pull him off her, we would have instantly been in the firing line and could have been seriously hurt ourselves.
        Violets are blue,
        Roses are red,
        I bequeath to thee...
        A boot to the head >_>

Comment

Yup, that one doesn't belong in anything customer service. Put her in the back or whatever, but not dealing with humans on a regular basis. As for staying at that job... would not count on it. While there was provocation, it was mutual, she did do violence to a (sucky) customer.

As for him filing charges, nope, not bloody likely, as it was probably explained in clear enough language how they BOTH went past the line into criminal territory, and they BOTH would be going through the legal system. Aaaaand, for bonus points, he ripped his projectile from its solid mounting to throw AT A WOMAN. Yeah, let's just all go down to the courthouse and lay it before a jury and.... NOPE!

Edit: Oh, an update while I was writing. Big, big man doing violence... Yeah, again, his chances of finding a sympathetic jury are in the 'just won the lottery' range.
          Last edited by Buzzard; 11-12-2018, 05:23 AM.

Comment

Kagato, you sure don't write like a Californian... Are you a transplanted Brit, perchance, or someone with an inordinate fondness for BBC?

(I grew up in the Midwest; I picked up a few British-isms from watching BBC shows on PBS. Because it was in The Ancient Times before we could easily get shows from overseas.)
            “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
            One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
            The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

I worked with a guy for about a year, and he had worked for the same company at another location previously.
              When he applied at our store, everybody who knew anything about why he had stopped working for the company was curiously unavailable: manager and supervisor both on vacation, stuff like that. Eventually our Supervisor says that since his file doesn't say "Do Not Re-Hire", we should hire him.
              Folks came back from vacation and we found out the full story.
              Seems there had been a little incident between him and a customer at his previous store. And I really understand both his position and the company's.
              I mean, if you throw a pot of coffee at a customer, you're going to get fired.
              And if you call someone a (racial slur for black folks that starts with an "n") while he's holding a pot of coffee, you are getting a pot of coffee thrown at you. Not guaranteed, but definitely a likely outcome.

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
                Kagato, you sure don't write like a Californian... Are you a transplanted Brit, perchance, or someone with an inordinate fondness for BBC?

(I grew up in the Midwest; I picked up a few British-isms from watching BBC shows on PBS. Because it was in The Ancient Times before we could easily get shows from overseas.)
                I am from New Zealand. I was living in the USA for a time back in 2017, but have to update my profile info since I'm back in NZ.
                Violets are blue,
                Roses are red,
                I bequeath to thee...
                A boot to the head >_>

Comment

Quoth SpyOne View Post
                  And if you call someone a (racial slur for black folks that starts with an "n") while he's holding a pot of coffee, you are getting a pot of coffee thrown at you.
                  I believe that there was even a US Supreme Court case about something like that. They called it an "Unbearable Provocation" (or something to that effect) and found in favor of the appropriate charges being Manslaughter, rather than Murder.

Quoth Kagato View Post
                  I am from New Zealand. I was living in the USA for a time back in 2017, but have to update my profile info since I'm back in NZ.
                  Hee! So from one colony to another, huh?

Or possibly "There and Back Again"? (Or is that too on the nose with all the stupid tourists looking for Hobbitton?)
                  “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                  One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                  The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Working...
                  X