This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pen snobbery

Ok, am I the only one here that is willing to call themselves a "pen snob?" I'm not fond of using a disposable ballpoint pen if I can avoid it. I do use the occasional rollerball (I have an aluminum body one from the Lego Store from years ago that I love), but it's nicely refillable.

I have two pens on my desk at work that I use all the time, and both are fountain pens. I'd be rather annoyed if either of them disappeared, but since they're fountain pens, that's not very likely.

So, does anyone else have a "favorite pen" that they will go to before any others if they can?
    "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

There is an episode of CSI where they go to a pen expert to determine if a 'suicide' note was written with a certain pen. He points out that yes it was, there is a flaw in the ballpoint that made a miniscule error in the ink flow. He says in disgust, "Cheap writing instruments."

That's how I feel. I am a writer who writes longhand and I shudder if I have to write anything, even a check, with one of those soulless ballpoint monstrosities. Writers in general seem to be obsessed with the tools of their craft, all the longhand writers I know have favorite pens and even kinds of paper.

Pilot Precise Rolling Ball Fine Point Black. That's my baby, and I get boxes of them Christmas.
    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

I've been a pen snob for years. . . . the only ones I'd use when I was in HS were the Parker Vector roller ball pens and fountain pens (I detested those disposable Bic or Paper Mate pens. Just ugh.)

I have a pink Pentel Dr. Grip refillable that I use all the time and it is NOT loaned out to anyone. Touch it and you will die . . .

But yeah, most pens just don't write that well at all. Of course I don't write as much by hand now (have laptop that I use for my writing) but back years ago, I was either writing longhand or on typewriter.
      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

You know where to get the best pens? Medical conferences. I went to a conference several years ago and I picked up a pen from every booth I could. Most of them still work.

For me it has to be one of the clicky top pens. No caps. And preferably one I can jam into my ponytail so I don't lose it.
        I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

I'm not a pen snob, but I am a pencil snob. I have to have .5 pencil, and I absolutely prefer the Bic ones with the squishy pad where your fingers rest. Divine.
          My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

For ballpoint types - Parker pens. Metal(ish), refillable, last a long time.

For rollerball-type: Zebra ZEB-Roller 2000...I think I have one or two left (they stopped making them years ago), they're nice and fat to fit my chubby long and sturdy fingers, and they make my already-difficult-to-decipher handwriting all but incomprehensible to the normals The closest I've found is a later product by another company that Voldemart sells (Uni-Ball Vision Elite). White barrel with blue highlights, black pens, about $9 for a 3pack. Have to guard those puppies with my life around the office >_>
            Last edited by EricKei; 08-14-2014, 07:29 PM. Reason: found it
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I'm the patron saint of the 10-pack of Bic pens.

Because of my special mutant ability to lose said pens at a rate that would make you think they were actually made of compressed radioactive isotopes with very very VERY short half-lifes.

Occasionally, someone gets me a very nice pen set, with holder/case as a gift, and I have to put in the bottom desk drawer and never touch it.

Not because it's unappreciated, but because the instant I try to write with one, I'm going to quickly lose the cap, pen and package it was contained in.

I'm Mr. Cheap Ballpoint.

Yesterday, today and tomorrow.

You may hate me for that, starting....................... NOW
              - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

with me to has to be a black gel ink pen
                i found a brand at a dollar store i like and wont cry if they get stolen but other than that i usually get nice pens since i like to write long hand when im thinking and i like to draw really demented stuff with them and gel ink copies better.

i will admit it i want something cheap and easy ill buy a 10 pack of ball point pens write notes with them for like a week or use them as pen borrowing decoys

Comment

for me its a Pilot G-2 0.7mm in blue and a sharpie (but not a "sharpei", i have on of those...) in my lab coat and in my pocket at all times. I usually kill em in less than a month filling out all the documentation for my work. It takes a lot to get either set away from me and in the event I lose one, I got 15 more stashed in my parts cabinet.

Comment

I would be a pen snob if I wrote much longhand anymore. Somewhere I have the Cross pen my parents gave me when I graduated from H.S. I also have my mom's which has her name engraved on it. These aren't all that fancy but they're nicer than the average Bic. I also have some novelty pens, one that looks like a purple pansy with a long green stem, one that's a green cat (his butt unscrews and the pen point is inside ) and one that's covered with fake "gems." Wish I still had the pen I used in high school, it was very 70's hippie-flower-power with multi-color flowers all over it.
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I always buy bic, the cheap ones with the clear tube. I started buying them in school, the hexagonal shape in cross section is perfect for rewinding tapes, which my Walkman didn't do. After getting used to them I get hand cramps from using other types of pens for too long.
                      Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

Quoth Crossbow View Post
                        Ok, am I the only one here that is willing to call themselves a "pen snob?"
                        I think you're more like a pen connoisseur.

Myself, I prefer felt-tip pens, as they were great for my drawings and I didn't need to scribble to get the ink flowing.
                        cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
                          For me it has to be one of the clicky top pens. No caps. And preferably one I can jam into my ponytail so I don't lose it.
                          Clicky or fountain pens for me, I lose or drop caps, I just wish they'd figure out how to make a retractable fountain pen, I'd die of happiness.
                          **Edited to add** OMG THEY MAKE THEM! now to start putting aside money as the cheapest is $125.

My current favorite is a pentel energel(mix of gel ink and standard, has the smooth flow of gel but dries like regular, and the refills come in some great colors! I've currently got sky blue)
                          Last edited by BlaqueKatt; 08-14-2014, 02:55 PM.
                          Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
                            Clicky or fountain pens for me, I lose or drop caps, I just wish they'd figure out how to make a retractable fountain pen, I'd die of happiness.
                            **Edited to add** OMG THEY MAKE THEM! now to start putting aside money as the cheapest is $125.

My current favorite is a pentel energel(mix of gel ink and standard, has the smooth flow of gel but dries like regular, and the refills come in some great colors! I've currently got sky blue)
                            I have seen a few retractables on ebay for less (not a lot less, granted), so keep your eyes open.

What I'm waiting for is a rollerball that's coming down the pipe, at least according to rumor. The tolerances are supposedly tight enough that it takes standard fountain pen ink.
                            "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

I have two favorite kinds of pen - The Pilot Precie V5 Extra Fine Point, and the Uni-Ball Vision. The only catch is that, for the latter... I can never find JUST the black- or blue-ink variety on their own... SINGLE pen... For what I'd call cheap(IE, less than $8 for a single pen).

Also, why in the world does a 12-pack of black pens cost MORE than a 12-pack of BLUE pens...? FOR THE SAME BRAND.
                              Look, a signature!

If every cashier in the world went on strike, retail would come to a screeching halt, even if for a couple hours.

Comment

Working...
                              X