This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Just Want to Slap Some Parents

So there's this doctor's office I've been doing some volunteer time at, primarily working on getting them HIPAA compliant, but I help out with a few other things while I'm there: feeding the fish, finding wayward hamsters, restocking the treat baskets, and neatening up the waiting room (mostly putting the toys back in the box in the kiddie corner).

The other day I came in, the first one in the office, and found a freaking disaster area. On the waiting room floor were:

-- A dozen cake and candy wrappers thrown around the room (Boss Lady keeps snacks and candy for the kiddies; it's honor system and most parents only allow their kids to take one or two so it's usually fine).

-- Two half-drunk juice boxes (same deal as the snacks).

-- Food bits crumbled about and ground into the carpet.

-- The toys in the play area were literally all over the room. Legos, building blocks, stuffed animals, dolls, plastic animals, everything was out of the toy box and left laying around the room.

-- Books pulled out of the bookcases (two out of three of the bookcases).

There was no way the kid's parents could have missed the disaster they left the room in. The only place that was clear was the sweep of the door. Boss Lady is too nice to tell parents to clean up after their kids, but I want to slap them silly. Sure, the kid is the one who made the mess, but the parents not only sat there and watched it, they walked out and left it there!

And I found out from one of the workers there that the family's home looks just like that, only without anyone to go behind them and clean up it just piles higher and deeper. Therapists don't want to go there because it's simply disgusting.
    Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
    And I found out from one of the workers there that the family's home looks just like that, only without anyone to go behind them and clean up it just piles higher and deeper. Therapists don't want to go there because it's simply disgusting.
    Sounds like a call to CPS is in order...

Comment

I sometimes see parents at the Green Mermaid coffee shop buy a pastry to give to their little beasts... Who proceeds, not to eat it, but to crumble it onto the table. If they want to waste their money that's their own business, but I can tell you I have never observed a parent cleaning up. I don't mean some crumbs, I mean the whole mini-coffee cake spread everywhere, even on the floor and surrounding chairs.

It's just totally normal for kids to play with and then discard merchandise haphazardly at my store, and probably everyone here who's worked near kids. Well, adults too. I often daydream of keeping everything behind bulletproof glass, barbed wire, and an electric fence.
      Last edited by EricKei; 06-30-2015, 05:57 PM. Reason: edited inappropriate term
      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
        I sometimes see parents at the Green Mermaid coffee shop buy a pastry to give to their spawn... Who proceeds, not to eat it, but to crumble it onto the table. If they want to waste their money that's their own business, but I can tell you I have never observed a parent cleaning up.
        I honestly think parents get off on bringing their kids somewhere where they'll make a mess...that the parents don't have to clean up. That's why little kids will be allowed to run amok in restaurants, movies theaters, etc., because the parents aren't the ones who will have to sweep up the pastry crumbs or popcorn kernels. I'm sure they'd put their foots down at home when they themselves would have to clean up the food spills or toys left all over the floor just waiting to get stepped on and sprain an ankle.

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
          I honestly think parents get off on bringing their kids somewhere where they'll make a mess...that the parents don't have to clean up. That's why little kids will be allowed to run amok in restaurants, movies theaters, etc., because the parents aren't the ones who will have to sweep up the pastry crumbs or popcorn kernels. I'm sure they'd put their foots down at home when they themselves would have to clean up the food spills or toys left all over the floor just waiting to get stepped on and sprain an ankle.
          This exactly!

There needs to be a brat tax to pay for the clean-up!

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
            And a treat/credit for unmessy kids s.
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
              It's just totally normal for kids to play with and then discard merchandise haphazardly at my store, and probably everyone here who's worked near kids. Well, adults too. I often daydream of keeping everything behind bulletproof glass, barbed wire, and an electric fence.
              Yes, but if you do that, you'll get complaints from SC's about why everything is kept out of reach for them, or you'll get SC's asking you to rummage through the T-shirt display while trying to find the correct size of "medium" or the right shade of blue.

Trust me, this is better. At least they won't hound you all at once.
              cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

I'm very sorry my next-door neighbors apparently showed up at your workplace.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post

When my kids were toddlers I tipped around 50% by way of apology for the mess they left behind, and that was with me doing everything I could to contain said mess. Toddlers just aren't neat people. Seriously, even when the parents don't let the kids go wild, toddlers will drop crumbs and bits of food, and I knew it would take longer to clean up, so I tipped accordingly.
                  At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
                    Seriously, even when the parents don't let the kids go wild, toddlers will drop crumbs and bits of food, and I knew it would take longer to clean up, so I tipped accordingly.
                    This. Oh my god this.

When my daughter was a wee little thing, every time we went to the buffet in town it would look like a food-based splash zone around her highchair no matter how hard we tried to watch her. We would not only tip generously for the inconvenience, we also apologized to the wait staff. After picking up what we could, it was the least we could do.
                    Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

The messy family in the OP sounds like many of the families that visit our local thrift shops. Each shop has one aisle of toys, maybe two. Parents let their kids look at the toys. Kids take toys off the shelf to get a closer look or to play with them. Kids leave the toys scattered across the whole floor of the toy area. Parents buy the kids a thing (or not) and leave the mess.

I had never noticed that in my home town's thrift shops. Maybe it never happened; maybe I just never saw it. But it made me mad when I encountered such chaos after having my own kids.

So, when we go into thrift shops, Little Shirts (age 5, currently) has been given a rule to follow: If he takes a toy off the shelf, he puts it back when he's done with it. If I find that he has left a toy on the floor, we don't buy him anything from that store. It's worked! I rarely have to do more than remind him of the rule when we enter the shop. Now that his baby sister can walk, he has voluntarily extended the rule to her and will clean up after her and even give other kids dirty looks if they leave a mess.

Now if I could just get him to stop randomly pushing my shopping cart sideways in the grocery store and nearly making me crash into shelves or other shoppers...
                      I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
                      - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
                      - IPF

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
                        When my daughter was a wee little thing, every time we went to the buffet in town it would look like a food-based splash zone around her highchair no matter how hard we tried to watch her.
                        Did it look like the images you get if you go to http://images.google.com/ and search for baby spaghetti mess? (I think that first image with the round wooden "hat" might be a stock image.)

Comment

Quoth Argus View Post
                          Did it look like the images you get if you go to http://images.google.com/ and search for baby spaghetti mess? (I think that first image with the round wooden "hat" might be a stock image.)
                          I have a picture that I could put on here if I could find it of my youngest eating spaghetti and wearing most of it.
                          "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

Quoth Lovecats View Post
                            I have a picture that I could put on here if I could find it of my youngest eating spaghetti and wearing most of it.
                            Just no youtubes of the Glazed Doughnut Monster!
                            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
                              This exactly!

I agree, some people should be charged extra if they can't keep their kids under control.
                              (I should start charging people extra at my place coz they keep changing where they wanna sit)

Still, this reminds me of something I saw on the news. A hair salon put up a notice saying parents of kids who throw tantrums would be charged extra. This caused a bit of a miff, coz it offended some parents of autistic children.

But anyway, I believe in charging parents extra if they can't learn to keep their kids on a leash

Comment

Working...
                              X