This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where's the kid?

OK, these guys weren't sucky, just a bit weird ...

The couple were unloading their groceries from their trolley on the conveyor belt. Glancing up, you'd think I'd see a toddler sitting in the child seat of the trolley right?

No. There was no child.

There was a Cabbage Patch Doll.

Before you suggest that it might have been their child's doll, I must inform you that THERE WAS NO TRACE OF A CHILD anywhere near them. There was no kid there when they were paying, and there was no kid dawdling behind them when they left.

The "dad" even adjusted the doll like it was a real kid.
    'Our brightest days are yet to shine'
    'You see the depths of my heart, and You love me the same'

I'm wondering if it wasn't some sort of experiment to see if they could handle hauling around this thing 24/7 before having kids.

Yeah, I know it's not the same, but they might not realize that.

Comment

Yes, that's it--what a great idea!

But they must have thought it was the same if they didn't exploit the fact that a doll is allowed to sit or stand any old way in the cart.
      I second that Frederick Douglass quote--unfortunately, so do a lot of SCs.

Comment

Yes, I'll bet they just found out they were pregnant and wanted to practice.

I would have been like "OMG!!! Your baby's turning blue! Quick! Baby Heimlich!" *proceeds to remove the child and place on knee* "It's not working!!! AAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!"

Of course, my job would have been out the window, but what a way to go!
        ~*~"If your gift is that of serving others, serve them well. If you are a teacher, do a good job of teaching." -Romans 12:7~*~

Comment

Was it one of those "responsibility dolls?" They make young people here carry them around for a class grade. The class isn't required, but if you notice the high amount of teenaged pregnancies here you would think they would make it mandiotry.

Or solution 2: Crazy, maybe the doll spoke to him and told him to kill gnomes with sporks?

Comment

Quoth 0oAmericanGirl View Post
            Was it one of those "responsibility dolls?" They make young people here carry them around for a class grade. The class isn't required, but if you notice the high amount of teenaged pregnancies here you would think they would make it mandiotry.

Or solution 2: Crazy, maybe the doll spoke to him and told him to kill gnomes with sporks?
            If I'm not mistaken, the class that requires that Responsibility doll around here is a Home Ec related class...

How realistic is a baby that you place a key into their back to get them to stop crying?
            "Junior, if you don't shut your mouth right now... I'm gonna jab you with this key!"
            "I call murder on that!"

Comment

I took that class! It was soon after I had my knee surgery so I had to take the baby with me to my rehabilitation. My boyfriend offered to drive me every day after school, and one day he was carrying the "diaper bag" for me while I held the carrier. This woman was walking the other way and saw us . . . and shook her head in dissapproval. I wanted SO badly to set her straight, but I was late for my rehab and it wasn't worth it!
              ~*~"If your gift is that of serving others, serve them well. If you are a teacher, do a good job of teaching." -Romans 12:7~*~

Comment

When I was in school they didn't have "responsibility dolls". We had to carry around an uncooked egg for a week. We drew faces on them, gave them hair, names, etc.

If you lost, cracked or broke your egg you got an F.
                "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
                HellGate: London

Comment

In middle school I had to carry around a cotton ball. I gave it construction paper feet.

I think they realized that uncooked eggs aren't sanitary and I think we had a problem when one kid left his in his locker and forgot about it...
                  Check out my cosplay social group!
                  http://customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=18

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
                    If I'm not mistaken, the class that requires that Responsibility doll around here is a Home Ec related class...

How realistic is a baby that you place a key into their back to get them to stop crying?
                    "Junior, if you don't shut your mouth right now... I'm gonna jab you with this key!"
                    My high school had that as part of the health class. Of course the teacher had to be certified in something or other to get the dolls, and mine wasn't.
                    The class was offered to all four gardes, and for the most part every class was a mix of all grades. Even if the doll wasn't very realistic, I think it was a good idea to try and teach responsibility to high school students, through this.

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
                      I think it would be more realistic if you were given a ring with about a hundred keys, which all look identical but really aren't, and each time it might be a different key that's required.

Of course, it still wouldn't be realistic unless it could somehow hurl all over the place and all over you. I remember finding out the hard way what happens if you forget to burp your baby after feeding him.
                      Sometimes life is altered.
                      Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                      Uneasy with confrontation.
                      Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Hey guys, no, I don't think it was one of those responsibility dolls for 2 reasons:

1. I don't think we have things like that in Australia. In our school health classes we didn't do the doll/egg/cotton wool experiment!

2. This couple were in their 40s
                        'Our brightest days are yet to shine'
                        'You see the depths of my heart, and You love me the same'

Comment

Ooh, ooh, we did egg babies! I had an unusually tan egg, since mom's chickens laid brown ones Too bad she didn't have any aurakanas at the time, so I didn't get a green or blue egg baby.

I made a lot of money "babysitting" other kids' babies during recess so they could go play without having to worry about cracking their eggs.

Comment

I believe they are called "Baby Think It Over".

http://www.realityworks.com/
                            The customer is always right until I decide he isn't.

Comment

Quoth Sandy View Post
                              This couple were in their 40s
                              Umm . . . maybe they were just in denial . . .

PS: Chris Tomlin is great!

Comment

Working...
                              X