This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCs at the Farmers Market

The kids and I were up before daylight this morning pulling sweet corn and loading new taters, okra, yellow squash, maters, green beans, brocoli, fresh dill, cucs, and some other assorted vegis all from our garden. We arrive 30 minutes before opening and get setup. We really don't raise the extra vegis to sell, what we don't use and family can't use we try to sell and donate the rest to the food bank, and what money we make is split up between the children.
    Anyways back on subject, an hour before close (noon) this yankee woman asks my youngest daughter Z (8) for some corn. Z takes the woman by the hand and leads her over to the corn and tells her to take her pick but the butter and cream corn is the best tasting.

YW: I want corn not cucumbers.
    Z: That is corn cucumbers are over there (pointing to the other end).
    YW: Little girl I want corn and that's not corn, where's your father?
    Z: Daddy this lady wants to talk to you.
    Me: What can I do for you.
    YW: I wanted some corn but your daughter keeps trying to sell me cucumbers.
    Me: That's corn right in front of you. That's Silver Queen, Yellow Gold, and that's butter and cream.
    YW: I want corn and that's not corn you stupid rednecks are trying to steal from people and I'm going to report you to Reverand Anderson. (Walks away in a huff).
    About 15 minutes later, the Right Rev:
    RR: Mr. Tanasi, Mrs something-ski says you're trying to rip her off by selling cucumbers as corn.
    Me: No I'm trying to sell her corn she's just too stupid to know corn when she sees it. (I really said that and loud enough for her to hear me say it.)
    RR: What were you showing her? (I walk him over to the corn.)
    Me: There, three kinds of sweet corn.
    YW: See he's trying to sell cucumbers as corn.
    RR: Mrs. something-ski that's corn.
    YW: No it's not.
    Me: Lady it's still in the shuck you have to shuck it before you get to the corn. (And I shuck an ear of corn.) See.
    YW: (Sputtering) Well how am I susposed to know that?
    Me: You might have asked before you started accusing me of crime. Now do you want corn or not?
    YW: Well not with that attitude I'll take my business elsewhere.
    Me: Then go and leave me alone.

Now having typed all that I have a question. You yankee and city folk do know that corn come in a wrapper besides plastic don't you?
    Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Some people are just stupid. I guess you'd call me a Yankee since I've lived in Albany, NY my whole life, and I know what corn still in the shuck looks like. I also know that cucumbers look nothing like corn that is in shuck.
    "Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." - Anonymous

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual." - Dr. House

Comment

Damn straight I do. But, then again, I've spent days out on the porch shucking cobs for my mom's daycare, back when she had one. Mmm, fresh corn is so much better than packaged corn. Then again, I'm also originally from California, so, I might not count as being strickly a Yank... I'm not sure.
      "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth El Barto
        Some people are just stupid. I guess you'd call me a Yankee since I've lived in Albany, NY my whole life, and I know what corn still in the shuck looks like. I also know that cucumbers look nothing like corn that is in shuck.
        Same here. Different color and texture, etc. One would expect someone buying fresh produce to have some clue what they're looking at or what they're looking for looks like, but maybe I'm overestimating people again.
        "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

I know, but I had the advantage of my grandparents having a decent sized bit of land around their house, just enough to grow vegetables, including corn. Fresh corn on the cob with butter all over was the best thing ever when I went there. Was about the only thing I did like about going there.
          Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Reporting in from Pennsylvania to report that I know corn comes in a husk.

I always think about how we buy carrots now. My children aren't going to know what a carrot really looks like, the are going to think they are those baby ones!

Comment

Quoth Tanasi
              The kids and I were up before daylight this morning pulling sweet corn and loading new taters, okra, yellow squash, maters, green beans, brocoli, fresh dill, cucs, and some other assorted vegis all from our garden.
              Where do you live and how could I go about getting some of your fresh veggies?

You yankee and city folk do know that corn comes in a wrapper besides plastic don't you?
              Many of the city kids I've met do not understand that KFC sells dead chickens. They also do not understand that hamburgers include dead cows.

I'm very sure that they wouldn't understand the difference between unshucked corn and a raw cucumber. On the other hand, they wouldn't even think about eating fresh food, so wouldn't complain about what was in their bag because they wouldn't have one.

Comment

Corn or cukes?

Oh for gosh sakes! I grew up in Detroit, and I have known what fresh corn was all my life! We never had it unshucked, and in plastic...it just wasn't sold that way.
                We kids always got the job of shucking the corn before dinner...
                That was one heck of a Sucky Customer!!
                I no longer fear HELL.
                I work in RETAIL.

Comment

Quoth Tanasi
                  Now having typed all that I have a question. You yankee and city folk do know that corn come in a wrapper besides plastic don't you?
                  We had a sizeable garden, growing up in Maine, complete with a quantity of corn.

I find your reference to "Yankees" a bit off-putting, in its context, to be honest.
                  Zee website has been *UPDATED*

Comment

Quoth norrina
                    I find your reference to "Yankees" a bit off-putting, in its context, to be honest.
                    I understood just what was meant by the term and being a Yankee myself thought it was appropriate.

IMO, if you have problems with a post and/or term, it would be best to contact the Forum Mods. Lets not start a new BB by fighting amounst ourselves.

Comment

Quoth Tanasi
                      The kids and I were up before daylight this morning pulling sweet corn and loading new taters, okra, yellow squash, maters, green beans, brocoli, fresh dill, cucs, and some other assorted vegis all from our garden. We arrive 30 minutes before opening and get setup. We really don't raise the extra vegis to sell, what we don't use and family can't use we try to sell and donate the rest to the food bank, and what money we make is split up between the children.
                      Anyways back on subject, an hour before close (noon) this yankee woman asks my youngest daughter Z (8) for some corn. Z takes the woman by the hand and leads her over to the corn and tells her to take her pick but the butter and cream corn is the best tasting.

YW: I want corn not cucumbers.
                      Z: That is corn cucumbers are over there (pointing to the other end).
                      YW: Little girl I want corn and that's not corn, where's your father?
                      Z: Daddy this lady wants to talk to you.
                      Me: What can I do for you.
                      YW: I wanted some corn but your daughter keeps trying to sell me cucumbers.
                      Me: That's corn right in front of you. That's Silver Queen, Yellow Gold, and that's butter and cream.
                      YW: I want corn and that's not corn you stupid rednecks are trying to steal from people and I'm going to report you to Reverand Anderson. (Walks away in a huff).
                      About 15 minutes later, the Right Rev:
                      RR: Mr. Tanasi, Mrs something-ski says you're trying to rip her off by selling cucumbers as corn.
                      Me: No I'm trying to sell her corn she's just too stupid to know corn when she sees it. (I really said that and loud enough for her to hear me say it.)
                      RR: What were you showing her? (I walk him over to the corn.)
                      Me: There, three kinds of sweet corn.
                      YW: See he's trying to sell cucumbers as corn.
                      RR: Mrs. something-ski that's corn.
                      YW: No it's not.
                      Me: Lady it's still in the shuck you have to shuck it before you get to the corn. (And I shuck an ear of corn.) See.
                      YW: (Sputtering) Well how am I susposed to know that?
                      Me: You might have asked before you started accusing me of crime. Now do you want corn or not?
                      YW: Well not with that attitude I'll take my business elsewhere.
                      Me: Then go and leave me alone.

are you from jersey selling that Silver Queen.... cause if so Jersey corn is the BEST!!

Comment

hey im a city girl born and raised

and even I know that CORN comes in a green husk....

and I am SO in love with you for using the word yankee *swoons* (not american so yankee is still a romantic gone with the wind term for me)
                        I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Quoth Tanasi

I am a transplanted yankee. Did you know that we do, in fact, grow corn up north? My family has grown corn for as long as I can remember. We have always had a vegetable garden, and there is nothing like fresh corn you shucked yourself. Down here, however, we gave it up

Do the "suthners" down here know that books are for more than just leveling a table?
                          Age and wisdom don't necessarily go together. Some people just become stupid with more authority.

"Who put the goat in there? The yellow goat I ate."

Comment

We have a Farmer's Market outside the store on Wednesday and Saturday. Of course this year, with the drought we are in, we have had only one farmer show up so far and the last three weekends, nobody showed up.

Well, no farmers showed up. Lots of SCs who come into the store and want to know where the farmers are. This is especially annoying since we have nothing to do with the farmer's market, it is run by the city. We just let them do it on our sidewalk.

(They did try to move it once to a newly built plaza downtown, but noone would go over there. They all kept coming back to us, it think they are addicted to our popcorn )
                            "First time I ever seen a chainsaw go down anybody's britches,"

Comment

Do the "suthners" down here know that books are for more than just leveling a table?
                              Yup. They's got purty pichers innem, too

I've often seen corn in the grocery store still in the husk. No resemblance at all to a cucumber, but then if you don't know what one looks like why would you recognize the other? I've also, from time to time, read books. But then, depending on how you count I'm half-Yankee anyway.

(boring explanation: Dad's dad from New York, Dad's Mom from Ohio, Mom's Dad from North Carolina, Mom's Mom from Georgia. Dad's family left the north when he was four. He's in a Confederate band, they play nothing ,instruments or music, newer than 1870 or so and dress up and do reenactments and whatnot)
                              Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

Working...
                              X