Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > Sucky Customers

View Poll Results: Your top SC Pet Peeve . . .
If an item does not have a price or won't scan, "then it must be free." 7 8.64%
Unruly screaming kids who are ignored by their parents. 40 49.38%
People who can't read the signs. 25 30.86%
Other 9 11.11%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 02:30 AM
Balloon Whisperer

Quote:
Quoth evilhomer
And of course if it's cash, they've got the change in there somewhere, hold on another five minutes while they dig it out.

Especially since we're watched on our transaction time where I work. They want you to have a quick time, but then you have the "I'm sure I've got the change" dork. Then there's the ones that decided that they have the cents after you've put in whichever bill they gave you and you've already got their change!

Oh, and let's not forget the charmers that are writing a check, and knew they were going to write a check. Not only wait until you've rung up everything to start writing a check, but also do not have a pen!

When you rent a video at our place, you have to show us some sort of photo ID. At least once a day you will get some dink that gets mad that you have to show ID, even though they rent here all the time! Look, if you don't want us to make sure that unauthorized are not using your account, fine. Just don't come complaining to me about late charges!

Old 07-11-2006, 02:34 AM
Photo Manager

My biggest pet peeve is the SC in disguise. You know... the one that's all friendly and helpful and gets you to let your guard down... and then WHAM! calls you a stupid bitch whore whatever because the penny you dropped in her hand fell out onto the counter.

Galbadia Hotel - Free Video Game Soundtrack Downloads

Old 07-11-2006, 02:36 AM
Heavy Metal Admin

I went with the "screaming kids", although the "not reading signs" was a very close second.

I had one of these at my register, and his stupid mother was actually standing there smiling and encouraging him ("Can you do that even louder?") And of course, the kid did.

Another time one screamed right in my ear while I was trying to stack some cases of soda. Ended up dropping the thing, and then just kind of went into zombie mode. I just walked away without picking up the case I dropped, and just kind of wandered into the back room for awhile until I was able to compose myself.
Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Old 07-11-2006, 04:52 AM
Cashier

I hate the change-diggers too. It is SO much faster for me to give them 11c back instead of them trying to find 89c. When I am a customer I never give exact change unless it's 50c or less, or I will throw in the odd cents so the cashier doesn't have to hit the pennies.

Also high on my list are the people that keep grabbing stuff every time you ring them out. Get it all at once, why don'tcha?

Another one, people that bring stuff to the register, you start ringing up, and they disappear! Never fails that somebody else comes in and I have to void because the moron wasn't done and didn't say anything.

I hate hearing the words "I've got change" because it usually means that's ALL they have and they brought a 12 pack of beer, chips, and other junk to the counter and also asked for smokes. This usually works out to at least $20....And it's ALWAYS on Thursdays.
Get a better job, rethink your priorities, give up your bad habits, or go to a Coinstar.

People that come in wanting change for a $20/50/100. When you tell them no, they slap a 30c pack of gum or a 10c piece of candy on the counter and say "there, I'm buying something". Nice fireworks when I take the money out of my pocket and pay for it. Or give them 19 ones.

I'm sure there's more, but I've been off for the last 2 nights and I tend to put that place out of my mind when I'm not there.

Old 07-11-2006, 05:51 AM
insane in the membrane

i can't choose, they're all high on my list, because all of them happen frequently enough to cause severe enough irritation.

Old 07-11-2006, 06:25 AM
Pill Jockey

Quote:
And for the last time....the CARD WAS DECLINED. yes, DECLINED. No matter how many times I run it through my machine the outcome will be the same :
DECLINED! Now get out of my face and get your ass to work like the rest of us!
That rates high up there on my list of pet peeves. It's happened time and time again, and will continue to happen time and time again. I run the card through, a second and a half later the message box comes up saying "ERROR 301: DECLINED", I tell the customer this, and without missing a beat, it's "what?? you're kidding! try it again, I just put a whole bunch of money in that account this morning!" or "what?? that's impossible, I have a $5,000 credit line on that card!". A lot of people either don't know or don't care that they can only spend so much with a debit card in a single day, and it stops working after that for the rest of that day. But the fact remains, no matter what I do to my machine, I can NOT make it work. Pull out another card, pull out cash, hell with it, even pull out a check, but telling me to repeatedly slide the card through like a dumbass will NOT make it work. </rant>

Old 07-11-2006, 06:36 AM
Cashier

Makes me glad(kinda) that we are cash only....Behind the times for sure, but less hassle. But I still get SCs that whip out a card when there are numerous "Cash Only" signs posted. They don't see them.

Old 07-11-2006, 07:03 AM
Bagger

And let's not forget the customers who are too drunk and/or stupid to use their own debit card. I swipe the card through, and then when it's time for them to enter their information they'll just stare off into space or they'll take so long figuring out which buttons to press that the machine times out and I have to restart the transaction.

Oh and then there are the ones who borrow their friend or significant other's debit card, and they have to call them six times during the transaction to confirm the PIN and the account.

And a few more pet peeves that I had almost forgotten:

Customers who want to talk about the weather. I don't need to hear that it's hot/cold/windy/raining/snowing or whatever 99 times per shift. I can tell just by looking out the window.

Customers who stay at the counter once the transaction is over. This isn't too bad if there aren't any other customers in the store, but if there's a line up it really slows things down. Find another place to reorganize your purse or wallet.

Customers who think that I memorized the price of every single item in the store. It's especially bad when they stand at the very back of the store while I'm at the counter, and they hold up a small item that I can barely even see and ask, "How much is this?" It's even more frustrating when I come over to see the item and it actually had a price tag on it.

Drunk customers. Enough said.

Customers who complain to me because the prices are too high or because we don't have the products they want. Those are things that I cannot control. Go talk to the manager.

Old 07-11-2006, 11:02 AM
Bagger

i choose other: because i work at a renaissance faire and i get very dumb questions from patrons like "are you people like the Amish" no we are all actors madam,or people who ask where the privies are when there is a big sign saying "privies" right in front of them,and people who talk on the cell and wave a cigarette around in their other hand,because one almost burned my templar knight tunic i sewed together.

Old 07-11-2006, 11:15 AM
Urge to kill, rising...

1. "Are you open?" This is my one biggest hate; I do try to be patient if I look like I'm closed, like if I'm tidying my till area while it's quiet, but if a customer is just leaving or if I've just taken the lock off and putting the cash in my till, then being asked if I'm open makes me want to shout "Use your f***ing eyes!!" back at the idiot. Of course, those customers are more than likely the same morons who just plonk their shopping down on your till when you're cashing up or just cleaning tills and then get pissy when you tell them you're closed.

2. Leaving trolleys with kids in or pushchairs next to my till. I'm not a babysitter and it's not my job to look after your child while you run and get something else. People who do this don't even ask me if it's OK (to which the answer would be a resounding "no") they just wander off, leaving the kid.

3. Dumping their basket on the end of the till or leaving their full trolley next to it. Then they come back and get mad cuz I've let other customers on. Why shouldn't I? Why should they wait for you to come back when they've organised themselves better than you have? We're not in primary school any more; you can't "bagsy" a till in the supermarket by leaving your trolley beside it. Either ask me to get a supervisor to get what you've forgotten or at least unload the damn thing so I can pack your shopping while I'm waiting for you.

4. Yack yack yack. Either on a mobile phone or to your husband/wife/friend/kid; it's extremely annoying to be ignored while you blab to someone else. Finish the transaction, then you can yack to your heart's content.

5. Whining to me about anything wrong with the store. It may come as a surprise to you, but as far as the empty shelves/long queues/lack of the specific thing you came to buy/toilets out of bog roll/dirty floors go, I am completely powerless to do anything about it. If you want something done or want information about something, go to customer services. Unless you're whinging about having to pay for parking. There are signs all over the carpark informing you that the carpark belongs to the local council, so go and whine to them.

(Will probably be back to add to this later)