Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plenty of hiding space, sure....but how does he disappear so silently? It'd be like sneaking a bulldozer through a mall parking lot.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Comment

He can move fast if he's motivated. He just didn't consider you threatening in any form or fashion so wasn't motivated to do more than yawn.

ETA: I never said he disappeared silently, though if he's running across soft ground he doesn't make that much noise. But seriously, twice in the last few days I've been sitting on the couch, looking at the pool deck at the dog thinking to myself that I should get the oldest boy child to give him a bath, and before I can even relay the message to said boy child, the dog is GONE and doesn't return for hours.
      Last edited by mathnerd; 12-04-2013, 03:42 AM.
      At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

What is it about large dogs and stealth mode anyway? Little dogs make tons of noise - the Demon Twins can move like ninjas when they want!

Comment

Quoth dakhur View Post
          What is it about large dogs and stealth mode anyway? Little dogs make tons of noise - the Demon Twins can move like ninjas when they want!
          I don't know, but I had the give the dog a bath thought while I was in my own shower this morning, and when I came outside, the "truck of a dog", as Jester called him, is nowhere to be found now. He was on the pool deck when I got into the shower....
          At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Yesterday I was surprised by a Pyr at work; I was just outside rearranging the holiday greenery displays when suddenly this giant white fluffy mass slides under my arm and almost knocks me into the wreath bin...oh hai there, where did you come from and how did I not notice you?

Her owner was very apologetic and actually asked me if I could watch her while he grabbed a few things inside.
            "I am quite confident that I do exist."
            "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Unless you've owned a big dog it is pretty much impossible to realize how the bigger the dog the more of a ninja they are. It's because they move so easily and slowly that they make virtually no noise as they move.

Trust me, there is a Tibetan Mastiff (250 lbs on average) at my place of work and he will just SUDDENLY be behind you. The Great Danes also love to just BE THERE and try to walk between your legs.

The good news for people though is that dogs typically follow the adage of "gentle giant"; the bigger they are the more likely they are to be mellow and just want to cuddle---

as DreamStalker learned about the Great Pyrenees
              My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
              It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Quoth AmbrosiaWriter View Post
                Unless you've owned a big dog it is pretty much impossible to realize how the bigger the dog the more of a ninja they are. It's because they move so easily and slowly that they make virtually no noise as they move.
                I wish my big dogs would figure out they are supposed to move silently like a ninja...usually it sounds like a herd of elephants are stampeding through the living room.

Comment

The good news for people though is that dogs typically follow the adage of "gentle giant"; the bigger they are the more likely they are to be mellow and just want to cuddle---
                  Of course, just because a dog is friendly doesn't mean it's not dangerous. Imagine a meeting between a toddler and each of 2 dogs:

- A chihuahua with the attitude "I hate kids. I'm going to bite that little SOB. Let me at him!"

- A great dane with the attitude "I love kids - another face to lick, another butt to sniff. Let me at him!"

The great dane is likely to inflict a more serious injury simply because it's not aware of its own strength.
                  Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Wolfie, I don't know about that. Baxter knows exactly how big he is. He treats my 14 and 12 year olds far differently than he treats my 11 year old. The little one has major orthopedic issues and can get hurt very easily. Baxter just senses this and is extremely gentle around him, where he plays rougher with the other two kids.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post

The great dane is likely to inflict a more serious injury simply because it's not aware of its own strength.
                      For the vast majority of dogs this is a grossly incorrect assumption to make. I watch dogs every day. Anytime a Great Dane or the big Rotties interact with a smaller dog, or a puppy, they are very gentle and very testing with how much strength they use.

Dogs will also often have far more patience with a puppy than another adult dog. They know the puppy doesn't know any better and needs to be taught how to act; they also know the adult dog should know better and so will give a more stern correction than they would to a puppy. They are also aware enough to know that a child human = puppy, and therefore the "puppy" is still learning how to act and when playing with the "puppy" to be gentle.

Obviously there are exceptions, just like there are humans out there who don't understand how to control their own strength, but don't paint all dogs with "these are dumb creatures and aren't even aware of their own bodies."

As for the chihuahua, I'd be far more worried if my child got an injury from a chihuahua biting them than from a Great Dane accidentally knocking them over a little too roughly. One causes some bruises, the other has nasty, NASTY bacterial infections and an immediate trip to the ER.
                      Last edited by AmbrosiaWriter; 12-05-2013, 02:33 AM.
                      My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
                      It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                        Of course, just because a dog is friendly doesn't mean it's not dangerous. Imagine a meeting between a toddler and each of 2 dogs:

- A chihuahua with the attitude "I hate kids. I'm going to bite that little SOB. Let me at him!"

- A great dane with the attitude "I love kids - another face to lick, another butt to sniff. Let me at him!"

Both of mine would fall into the 2nd category - they're both large dogs (one's a purebred Mountain Lab, the other is a Siberian Husky/Great Prynees mix.) Both like attention but some folks are intimidated b/c of their size (especially Buddy, our Lab - he's at least 150 lbs by himself!)

Hell, I've even had one or two who would freak out over Abby . . . while she was in the backyard with me ON A LEASH while they are out in the middle of the road.

Dude, seriously? You want to complain because my dog barks once or twice at you (she barks at anyone who's walking up and down the road, so you're nothing special in her book or mine) and you can clearly see she's not only in her own backyard, but also on a leash???

Grow up, get a pair and come back to see me when you have some sense in your head instead of killing off your few remaining cells with whatever.
                        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

As for the chihuahua, I'd be far more worried if my child got an injury from a chihuahua biting them than from a Great Dane accidentally knocking them over a little too roughly. One causes some bruises, the other has nasty, NASTY bacterial infections and an immediate trip to the ER.
                          ^^^ Yes! People don't realize that small dogs can be just as dangerous as big dogs. All dogs are descended from wolves, and still have the wolf mindset. Any dog will try to establish himself as the leader of the pack (your family) and the idiots who think their little dogs are "aw, so cute, he's trying to be a big shot!" are the ones who end up with out-of-control alpha dog wannabes who terrorize the household and anyone nearby. And yes, they still have sharp teeth and mouth bacteria, just like big dogs.

I'm not saying small dogs are horrible; if you train them right, they're just as lovely and lovable as a well-trained retriever. My Grandma had a gentle, good-natured Chihuahua; I had a Chihuahua/Cocker Spaniel mix who was the sweetest, nicest dog ever (even my friend who was scared of dogs loved her!). I'm saying don't let size fool you; all dogs need to be trained and learn that their human owner is the Alpha in the pack.
                          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                          My LiveJournal
                          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I have three dogs. Well, I have two and my parents have one. I have the previously mentioned mastiff (male) and a Jack Russel/chihuahua mix (female) and my parents' dog is a cocker spaniel mix (male). Of the three dogs, the one I'd most worry about hurting somebody is my parents' dog due to a variety of factors including general temperament and training.

Comment

The Demon Twins, now full grown rottys, simply don't realise their size and power as adults and still act like the little wriggle-maggots they once were. As I've said here otherwise, once they decide their Human has to be awake, you'll go down trampled under paw.

But honestly, for me at least, I worry about small dogs much more than I do medium to large ones.

Comment

I've sad this before...I'd rather deal with a rottie or pibble any day over a little yapper with an alpha complex. You might get nudged, pushed, or slobbered on from the lummoxes, but the little breeds tend to have more quick biters.
                                "English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."
                                - H. Beam Piper

Comment

Working...
                                X