Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

YAY! I got my first legal threat at work!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YAY! I got my first legal threat at work!

**Update posted at the end of this thread***

I work for a furniture manufacturer. A lot of my time is spent talking to customers about custom products they want, writing quotes for custom work, and doing drawings of those items. I came in to work today at 7:15 am (eastern time…because I live in Michigan). I read my e-mail from oldest to newest. The first un-read message was from a dealer in California telling me that she wanted a simple special, and needed pricing back today (our normal turn around is 48 hours). The e-mail came in at 5:45pm (my time). I leave at 5, so I was already gone. The next message was at 6:15 asking how it was going. Keep in mind, a special quote is at the very least 2 hours of work, and this dealer KNOWS this. The next e-mail came at 8:15, it was to my boss and copied me “I requested a quote be completed by the end of the day today, can you see what the hold up is?” The next e-mail came in at 8:30 “I’m still waiting.” The next e-mail at 8:45 “I’m going home now. Call me at XXX-XXX-XXXX. I expect to hear from you ASAP!”

What do I do? I call her…at 7:30 am Eastern time. Apparently, you should not give out your home number and then tell someone three time zones ahead of you to call you ASAP…because ASAP may be 4:30 am local time. She is none to happy that I woke up her family at 4:30 in the morning. She tells me that she will be in touch when she gets up.

About 30 minutes later I got an e-mail written to my boss, but the VP of sales and I were copied in:

“I made a reasonable request to Bob that he have a quote back to me by the end of the day yesterday. He never responded. Then, he called me at home at 4AM this morning! You should know that if you do business in a state that it is the law that you have people that work those hours so you are available to help me. Please do something about this, so I don’t have to contact someone legally about this.”

I grabbed my Boss and printouts of my e-mail, and we went to the VP’s office. We talked over everything. I got the following e-mail about 5 minutes later from the VP to the dealer and my boss:

“I reviewed the situation with Bob and (my boss). I have a few points I would like to point out:
    1) We close at 5pm Eastern Time.
    2) Your request did not come in until 5:45pm.
    3) Our quote turn around time is averaging 48 hours. 2 hours is not reasonable.
    4) You e-mailed, providing your home number, and asking to be called ASAP.
    5) When Bob got into the office at 7:15 (Eastern) was when he received that message so by definition, that was ASAP.
    6) There is no law requiring that we provide customer service during the hours of operation in any given time zone.
    7) Even if there was, Bob may have not been that person.
    8) I am going to do something about this. I reviewed your dealership’s numbers this past year. Last year, based on volume, you qualified for an extra 10% discount. This year you have failed to maintain that volume so I am removing that extra discount.

I have asked Bob to complete that quote within 48 hours of its receipt. If you have any questions regarding this, contact me directly.

(Have I mentioned that some days I LOVE my job?)
    Last edited by bob the goat; 09-27-2007, 06:54 PM.

Quoth bob the goat View Post
    8) I am going to do something about this. I reviewed your dealership’s numbers this past year. Last year, based on volume, you qualified for an extra 10% discount. This year you have failed to maintain that volume so I am removing that extra discount.
    Ahhh, karmic justice. She came, she bitched, she got owned. Case closed.
    A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.....

Comment

Your VP is awesome!!

Comment

Karmic justice served.
        "I reject your reality and substitute my own"....Adam Savage-Mythbuster

Must remember to stop using "brain of death" on slower morons.... I meant customers.

Comment

This is one of the most heart-warming stories I have ever read!!!

*cockles of heart glowing at the customer pwnage*

If there is ANY more to this tale... PLEASE UPDATE! I'd love to know her response (or HER boss's as in "why did we lose this discount?")!!!!
          Teach a SC to fish... and they will whine about you not catching, filleting, frying, and serving it up on a silver platter for them. - EvilEmpryss

Comment

That, I must say - is fucking awesome.
            If you are thinking to yourself, "Hmmm, should I post this?" it should probably go HERE.

Comment

I have to second Luna:

Your Boss is a God.
              Because as we all know, on the Internet all men are men, all women are men and all children are FBI agents.

Comment

Love this story!

All that was missing is this:

9) Have a nice day.

Which is to say, twist the knife after inserting the blade.

Comment

Wow! A VP with bollocks! Brass ones!
                  Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                  HR believes the first person in the door
                  Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                  Document everything
                  CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

oh god please please please update on what this lady says please!!!!

Comment

Your boss is the effing man! Kudos to him!

That reminds me of the people who call at like 7:30am when we're just opening the branch (but not open for business) and are pissed because *gasp* there's nobody there to answer the phone. Dude, you want to be served, learn what our hours are.
                      Suddenly, Vermont became the epicenter of the dystopia.

Comment

I would get that a lot at my old job. We are on the west coast and had a lot of clients on the east coast.

One day I got this call from a lady in New York, at about 7:00 a.m. my time which would have been mid-morning for her. She asks for one of the people in the office but he's not there yet and I tell her this, offering his voicemail as an alternative. She leaves a message and I don't hear from her for several hours.

Then she calls back at noon:

SC: I want to speak to Jim, please.

Me: Ok, just a moment. *transfers her call*

SC: *bouncing back* Jim's not at his desk, there was no answer

Me: Oh, ok would you like his voicemail?

SC: No, I left one earlier and he hasn't called yet. Can I speak to someone else in his department.

Me: Sure *transfers again to different person*

Basically she keeps bouncing back because none of these people are in. We go through the entire department

SC: *totally pissed by now* This is absolutely ridiculous! Doesn't anybody do any work there!?

Me: Well, not on the lunch hour.

SC: *long embarrassed pause* Oh...what time is it there?

Me: Noon.

SC: *in very small voice* I'm sorry, I'll call back in an hour.

Me:
                        My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.---Cary Grant

Comment

The person responsible probably won't respond. I bet if it apologized, your VP might consider the 10% discount. But it won't happen. SC's don't understand manners and accountability.

Comment

I work in one of two call centers for a major corp that makes everything from cell phones to radio equipment. The call center I used to work in, that specializes in sales, is open from 7am-7pm CST, which encompasses 8-5 for all time zones. The call center I'm currently in supports emergency equipment, and is therefore open 24 hours. The rollover after hours call for the other call center come to us as well, and the customers CANNOT understand why there isn't someone there at 10pm so they can order a new belt clip for their phone.
                            "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Ohhhhhh....yes...Yes...YES!

I gotta know what she says in response!
                              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
                              X