This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No I won't lift your heavy bag

As a flight attendant you can imagine the amount of crap and baggage (mental and physical) passengers bring on board.

We have a 'no lift' policy. Basically our motto is "you pack it you stack it, I touch it I tag it." Any pax bags that are too heavy for them to stow gets taken off, tagged and put in the hold.

If we injure ourselves through lifting pax baggage the airline will have no sympathy with us and we could be off work for quite some time on basic pay.

I always refuse to stow any pax bags (ladies little purse or passenger with additional needs with a light bag I will assist) apart from that I will not put myself at risk. The number of fit and able people who look at petite moi to help them put their bags away makes me mad. I will help find space in an overhead locker...that's about it!
    No longer a flight atttendant!

I must say it always surprises me the size of bags that people bring on the plane considering they can't bring any liquids aboard. My (one) suitcase always has my shampoo and stuff so I always have to check it but even if I brought it on the plane it wouldn't compare to some of the "carry on" baggage I've seen. Heavy as hell and would hardly fit in the compartment.

Of course to each his own, personally I prefer to travel light, but so many times I've been behind someone who packed everything they ever owned and have to pay extra for having overweight luggage and once I nearly missed my plane due to having to wait for these people.

Even more off topic but on my way home from Holland one time I got through the security check with a bottle of lemonade and I wondered how well the security checks for liquid were when mine wasn't discovered. I was a little worried after that!!
    It's been a long, long, long, long time...

Comment

On planes, I routinely carry a Targus Backpack - which is a laptop bag. This is, of course, certified to fit in (most) overhead bins. So I can stuff it absolutely chock-full of stuff that isn't wet or sharp, and nobody minds.

Of course, I make sure I can still lift it to bin height by myself, and I take it of my back before boarding. But then I have common sense and (some) planning skills.

Everything else goes in hold baggage. I have a variety of bags for that purpose, from a little old suitcase to an enormous 90-litre modular rucksack, depending on how much I need to take.

Comment

I would like to know why the itty bitty airplanes are still around. You know the ones, the kind that only holds like 20 people. My school bus, when I was a kid, held more passengers then that!

My last flight (hopefully never again) I got all the way out to the plane and was told my bag had to go into the cargo bay. It's not a big bag (people with bigger bags were allowed on with no hastles!) and was pretty light weight (I was only going to be gone for a few days). Thankfully they didn't make me pay the fee for lack of planning on their part, but still. I wasn't happy when I was trying to find it afterwards.

And I'm freaking tiny myself!
        Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth chinashirtgirl View Post
          Even more off topic but on my way home from Holland one time I got through the security check with a bottle of lemonade and I wondered how well the security checks for liquid were when mine wasn't discovered. I was a little worried after that!!
          Heh...My dad had a nine-inch sheath knife from his last camping trip that got down in the bottom of his carry-on. He didn't find it until the hotel on the other end of his flight. Yeah, sombody was asleep at the veiwer that day.

On the flight back, I got a look from the screener when he opened my carry on and found fifty pounds of books. I had been to Portland, and my sister took me to Powell's* you see.

*Powell's is a bookstore that takes up and entire city block, around four stories tall, and carries books I haven't seen for years. I even found the translation of Romance of the Three Kindoms I have been looking for in the two-book hardcover edition. Pure heaven for bibliophiles.
          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Geek King... take me with you please?! I love books! I have to go there! Please?? Take??
            Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
              I would like to know why the itty bitty airplanes are still around.
              you flew SkyWest didn't you?

I've had similar problems with them making me check bags that larger aircraft wouldn't even consider being a problem on carry on.
              If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

No, I flew Continental.

Comment

Geek King... take me with you please?! I love books! I have to go there! Please?? Take??
                  pst Powells is online! Free shipping for orders over a certain amount which sadly for my wallet is a pretty easy target to hit.

And the reason for itty bitty planes is so those of us who live in itty bitty towns can have air service. The bins are so small though that I have to put my carry on on the cart for them to stow in cargo.

Comment

Quoth auntiem View Post
                    pst Powells is online! Free shipping for orders over a certain amount which sadly for my wallet is a pretty easy target to hit.
                    Yup. Here you go EQ, Powell's Online Shop.

Still doesn't match up with being able to walk around the place yourself. A whole room that is just wall-to-wall Sci-Fi/Fantasy! Bliss!
                    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Massive love to you both!

*browses bookstore*

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                        *Powell's is a bookstore that takes up and entire city block, around four stories tall, and carries books I haven't seen for years. I even found the translation of Romance of the Three Kindoms I have been looking for in the two-book hardcover edition. Pure heaven for bibliophiles.
                        Ooooohhh......

Massive love to you both!

*browses bookstore*
                        h-HEY! Wait for me!
                        Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Yeah, I don't get the heavy-suitcase fliers either. I check one suitcase and carry my backpack for long trips. For short ones, I check my backpack (it's a SwissGear laptop bag) and carry a small messenger bag. I've seen people who insist on carrying all their luggage so that their one "carry-on" is a massive suitcase that just barely fits within the regulation sizes and their one "personal item" is a duffel bag just a few inches smaller.

Someone told me he carried all his luggage because he didn't want it to get lost. Granted, no one wants their luggage to disappear. But in the 34 flights I've been on (fewer trips than that; some were connecting flights), my luggage has only disappeared once. And even then, it still showed up in the right place even though it was about an hour behind me (mix-up in Atlanta; longer story than I feel like telling). I have a hard time believing that suitcases are lost often enough for people to find it necessary to bring all their stuff on board with them.

Quoth RetailWorkhorse View Post
                          Ooooohhh......

h-HEY! Wait for me!
                          And me! Online's not good enough for me with this one. I have to see it in person. Next vacation, I'm going to spend an entire DAY at this place.

Geek King, I don't know whether I want to thank you or curse you for this one.
                          I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
                          - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
                          - IPF

Comment

Aaarrggghhh! The itty bitty planes. Coming back home from a 4-month trip I understandabley had full luggage and many souveniers. My backpack was chock full of glass (shot glasses, glass doodad figurines, various other baubles and souveniers, you know the type) because I couldn't trust these fragile items to be placed in checked luggage.

I had only my backpack as a carry-on and I arrive at this little puddle-jumper with no place for my luggage. Overhead bins? Gee, I didn't have one because equipment was in the bin over my seat. And the other bins were pretty crammed full already. Not to mention teeny tiny and my backpack was too thick to fit. What about under the seat...oh never mind. I was in the front row and my knees were seriously touching the wall. I'm not a tall person, the plane was small. I had no place to put my backpack. Cue the flight attendant telling me I had to check it and me panicing because of the glass glass glass inside. We finally managed to find a spot in the overhead bin a few seats back and the attendant gave me a plastic bag to empty items into so everything could fit. Man, that was an uncomfortable flight.
                            A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                              Yup. Here you go EQ, Powell's Online Shop.

Still doesn't match up with being able to walk around the place yourself. A whole room that is just wall-to-wall Sci-Fi/Fantasy! Bliss!
                              Sadly they don't have the books I've been searching for since I started making my own money.
                              "It's not what your doing so much as the idiotic way your doing it." Vincent Valentine from Final Fantasy 7.

Comment

Working...
                              X