This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Shyla View Post
    Politicians love hotel taxes. They can get revenue and still claim no new taxes. Taxes on out of towners don't count, right?
    I believe it's a variation on "Taxation Without Representation" - a phenomenon which had a BIG influence in the history of the United States.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

State sales tax, City sales tax, Municipal Gross Receipts tax, Lodging tax and Tourism tax.
      Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

I saw a "room tax" on my bill after my stay in a hotel over Labor Day weekend, but I didn't get upset about it. Uncle Sam will always get his cut.
        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Shyla View Post
          Politicians love hotel taxes. They can get revenue and still claim no new taxes. Taxes on out of towners don't count, right?
          They're paid by people who can't vote them out.
          FWIW, I noticed a couple different taxes on my lodging bill when Mrs. TGK & I visited her folks to clean MIL's house.
          I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
          -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth Smapti View Post
            I bet explaining resort fees to her would be an utter delight.
            See, this is the thing I think is really clouding the water. People are hearing about all these junk fees and it causes them to question legit charges more, like taxes.

Resort fees and other revenue-generating fake fees should be part of the quoted room rate. Absolutely. No question. The fact that they aren't is basically a scam perpetrated on customers; it allows a hotel to publish a low rate and then sock the customer for 5-20 percent more at checkout. And it all goes in the same place, right in the corporate pocket.

On a recent intrastate trip, I saw one that absolutely blew my gourd: A "regulatory recovery fee." This is something that utilities have been doing for a long time, and it's basically "Pay us because there are laws." They had it included in the tax section, as if it was some kind of government-mandated thing - and then the clerk flat-out said it was required by government. Which government, she could not say.*

I felt kind of sorry for her because it's always the front-line people who catch the crap for the tin gods in some home office several states away, who think of a new fancy way to generate revenue but never think of the consequences. But it still made me mad.

*I'm very familiar with my state's tourist-tax laws. It was not required by government. I have a feeling this hotel has recently gotten a call from the Attorney General's Office. ... just a feeling ...

Comment

My response to anyone who griped about taxes was "yeah, I know, I didn't vote for them" with a ruefl smile. That usually worked. We had one guy who kept asking different staff members to take the taxes off (which we have the physical ability to do) but who wouldn't show us the proper paperwork. That got him the biggest NO ever. No way I or anybody else is messing with the IRS.
              "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Taxes like that go to pay for the multibillion dollar boondoggle stadium the zillionaire that owns the local sports franchise extorted from the local politicians.

Comment

Quoth Shyla View Post
                  Taxes on out of towners don't count, right?
                  You mean like a tax on all foreigners living abroad?

Comment

Quoth Argus View Post
                    You mean like a tax on all foreigners living abroad?
                    No, just ones living Amman.
                    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Why did you ask if she wanted a receipt, that sounds like were begging for a further complaint.

Comment

Working...
                      X