This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Girly girls - I need yur halp!

Foundation! I need help with make up! I'm relatively new to it and I really want to make sure I know what I'm doing when it comes to foundation.

A few things to note - I have rather oily skin and acne. I want to know what kind of foundation or brand would be best for my skin type. Also I've heard people say that they use a liquid base and then "set" the foundation with a powder. What exactly does that mean? Is it necessary?

I'm self-taught, so I'm probably doing it wrong. When my skin is oily: I wash, tone and moisturise a few hours beforehand, then slap a liquid foundation over. Any imperfections are covered with a liquid concealer, blended in with fingertips, allowed to dry and then I gently add another layer of foundation if it's needed. Remember to blend in at the hairline and under the chin. For me, this lasts a full day and part of a night with minimal touch-ups.

I have very sensitive skin and tend to breakout in pimple and hives if I use anything with parabens, so I check the labels carefully. The brand I'm currently using is 'Face of Australia'
    Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

I buy mica and iron oxides online and mix into my moisturizer to make a tinted moisturizer. I have oily skin--yay, no wrinkles--but Yes to Carrots works for me. It has oils, but doesn't break me out. I include titanium dioxide in my pigment mix because it helps with staying power and screens out sun. I also blend my own colored face powder using the pigments and white mica and a bit of cornstarch. I take that with me. But for setting in the morning I use a fluffy brush and clear powder. E.L.F. makes one. It's about six bucks and no parabens. It looks white, but goes on clear. It's amazing. It makes my pores look smaller. If you wear nothing else, at least use the clear powder.

Oh, and I found out my undertone by ordering samples from http://www.meowcosmetics.com
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Take some time to read the labels. They make all kinds of stuff for different skin types, skin tones, etc. You want to use a light hand in most cases...don't slather it on too thickly. When I wear foundation I like to use a makeup sponge to apply it, but sometimes it's better to use your finger because it gives a better texture. Experiment a little.

Personally I use a very fair color foundation because I'm so pale. You want to find one that matches your complexion. If you go a shade darker you'll need to blend it in very carefully. The idea is to look like you're not actually wearing any. It just evens out your skintone, disguises large pores and any blotchiness, etc.

And this is very important: Be sure you wash it off before you go to bed. Your skin needs to breathe and leaving it on can lead to skin problems.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

If I do happen to use a bit of liquid (when my skin gets a little angry, for lack of a better word), I use a foundation brush.

Comment

I always set my liquid foundation with powder. I have oily skin. It sets the foundation and makes it last longer. Your skin doesn't recognize the difference between liquid foundation or moisturizer so it sucks it in. Setting it with powder helps it set and last longer. Also a good primer might help make your foundation last longer.

I like MAC foundations. I've also used Revlon colorstay and rimmel lasting finish 25 hour hour foundation. I went to the MAC counter to get a color match.

Try a few different products to see what works best for you. What works for me might not work for you. Also try Makeup Alley.com. Lot's of different reviews there that could help. Good luck! I'm a makeup junkie. PM me if you have any questions. If I can't help Make up alley might have the answer.

Comment

When I wear foundation (rarely), I tend to go for Bare Essentials or one of the other mineral makeups. They're powder, sit very lightly on my skin, and not only give great coverage, but also end up making my skin better in the long run.

My skin is weird. Bits of it are dry, bits of it are very oily, and I tend to break out badly right around when I'm PMSing. Mineral makeup doesn't aggravate the dry skin, and absorbs some of the oil, so I end up with a very even tone.

Comment

to be honest i don't wear it much. but these days i avoid liquid makeup and use mineral powders mostly.

although the cheap eyeshadows are still fun sometimes too.

Comment

I know of two brands off hand that sell make-up specific to skin types. Revlon and Cover Girl. And probably Neutragena, they have foundations and what not that cater to acne skin I believe (I could be wrong). I don't go out much to find anything else since I don't wear make-up. I just work as a Beauty Advisor at a drugstore. Just make sure you put it on clean skin (having acne problems and all). And I think Clean and Clear make these little oil sheets that shouldn't smudge any sort of make-up. Its pretty nifty.

Comment

My mom used Bare Minerals when she was alive, and that stuff worked WONDERS on her. My mother had very screwy skin and looked like the walking dead without makeup (grey/blue skin) and witht hat stuff she looked human/alive!

Comment

Being very prone to acne breakouts, I just use a mineral powder foundation and I keep a wee bit of liquid foundation around to use as a light concealer for my dark circles. A little sleep deprivation and I look like a raccoon. It works well for me. The coverage is good, it evens out my skin tone, and I don't feel like it's there.
                      The original Cookie in a multitude of cookies.

Comment

You might try going to the make-up section of the big stores in your local mall(s). Stores like Macy's, Bloomingdales or Lord & Taylor. The ladies there are always offering Mrs. IA free makeovers. The few times I have waited for her, the make-up counter ladies seemed very knowledgeable and answered all sorts of questions, both basic and not so basic.

Of course there is an expectation that you may buy some of their products, but you have to buy them somewhere.
                        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I have thought of going to a make up counter at the mall or Sephora but I'm a bit apprehensive of how clean they are. They use the same brushes and make up samples on so many faces . . .

I'll give mineral powder foundation a try. Are there any particular brushes or techniques I should use when actually applying the make up? Can I use sun screen under the powder?

Also I've heard people with oily skin swear by using Milk of Magnesia (non-flavored) as a base/primer to keep their skin soft and from getting super oily during the day. Has anyone tried this?

Comment

If you have a mineral powder that contains titanium dioxide, zinc oxide, or iron oxides, they act as physical sunblock. I use moisturizer under, so I don't see why you can't use sunscreen. Makeup counters are supposed to change out or clean brushes.

Comment

For mineral powders, you need a soft, fairly large brush. Shake some of the mineral powder into the lid, dip the brush in it, then tap out the excess. Then, apply it to your face in small, circular motions. You'll need to reload your brush occasionally, too.
                              The original Cookie in a multitude of cookies.

Comment

Working...
                              X