This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm 45

In two hours - or for the fussy, four and a half hours - I turn 45.

(Yes, my Mum was up at 3am birthing me. Poor Mum. Apparently I took three days from the start of labour until I finally condescended to leave.)

I was born in the summer (southern hemisphere) of 1969.

January:

Led Zeppelin launched their first album.

Richard Nixon took office.

**** I was born! ME! Most important thing of the year! It's all about me!!! ****

Elvis Presley recorded 'In the Ghetto'....
    ... and the Beatles gave their last public performance.

February

Two cosmonauts spacewalked from Soyuz 4 to Soyuz 5; the first walk between two docked craft in space.

Yassar Arafat became the leader of the Palestinian Liberation Organisation.

The first Boing 747 flew....

March

.... and so did the first Concorde.

NASA tested the lunar module in space (Apollo 9 mission).

"The Godfather" was published.

April

The first artificial heart was implanted.

Brisbane (my home city) stopped using trams. (light rail)

May

A precursor of the Woodstock concert ends in an eviction by the National Guard.

The "Hamburger Hill" battle began in the Vietnam War.

A teenager died of a mysterious medical condition in the States: much later (1984) his condition was diagnosed as HIV/AIDS.

Apollo 10, the full 'dress rehearsal' for the moon landing, was launched.

Civil unrest and riots in Argentina and Curacao.

June

Collision between the HMAS Melbourne and the USS Frank E. Evans kills American soldiers, and destroys the Evans.

Presidents Nixon (USA) and Nguyen Van Thieu (Sth Vietnam) meet to discuss the withdrawal of US soldiers.

Stonewall occured, and triggered the current form of the gay rights movement.
    (I've seen conflicting descriptions of what happened. I think it's one of those situations where a dry recitation of events means little: it's the emotional content and the background that makes it so important.)

July

Canada recognised French as an equal national language with English.

The first US troop withdrawals of the Vietnam War.

***** APOLLO 11 LANDED ON THE MOON! Niel Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin and Micheal Collins made a very special kind of human history. ******

President Nixon invoked the 'Nixon Doctrine': I'm not entirely clear on it, but it basically seems to mean that the US was going to pull out of the war. And did.

August

More Vietnam War politics, attempted peace agreements, and so on. It's all murky.

The Beatles' famous Abbey Road photograph was taken.

The Charles Manson murders.

Northern Ireland violence started to get really bad.

The Soviet Union and China started to have serious border clashes.

The Woodstock festival (finally, something nice in August! Well, ok, the Beatles photo is nice too.)

Category 5 Hurricane Camille did a tonne of damage in Mississippi (is that how it's spelled?) (and oh ick, not nice).

September

Gadaffi took power in Libya.

The first ATM.

The first Scooby Doo episode.

The last Looney Tunes (well, of that era's Looney Tunes).

The Beatles' "Abbey Road" album.

October

Nuclear Testing in Alaska.

Chicago 'Weatherman' riots.

Monty Python's Flying Circus airs

Vietnam War demonstrations.

The first message sent over ARPANET, a precursor for the Internet.

November

Sesame Street airs for the first time.

... a whole bunch of Vietnam War politics and mess, while people are dying. The deaths include the My Lai massacre.

Apollo 12 was launched, and two more humans walked on the moon.

ARPANET was expanded.

December

A draft lottery was held for the Vietnam War.

Violence at 'Altamont Free Concert', aka 'Woodstock West'.

Sometime during summer

Unix was invented.
    Seshat's self-help guide:
    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Happy birthday
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Yay!! Happy Birthday Seshat! Hope you have an amazing day and year

(My eldest did nearly the same thing - 3 days of labour, but was a 4 am birth.)
      Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

Happy birthday, Seshat! ^_^
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Happy 45! Also a popular beer and gun number! lol
          "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Sheldon, you must be a young whippersnapper. Anyone reaching that age would also know it's a popular number associated with music.
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
              Sheldon, you must be a young whippersnapper. Anyone reaching that age would also know it's a popular number associated with music.
              I didn't want to delve so far into ancient history. lol

BTW, just turned 53 in December. :-D

Comment

Happy Birthday. You know a lot more about the year you were born then I do about the year I was born. A lot more.
                Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Happy Birthday! I hope you have a wonderful day!
                  https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
                    Happy Birthday. You know a lot more about the year you were born then I do about the year I was born. A lot more.

I did use Wikipedia as an aide memoire.

But I also only listed things which .. I don't know. Triggered something in me?

For instance, I remember the old tram tracks still in the Brisbane streets when I was a kid; so the year of my birth being the year the trams were stopped in Brisbane means something to me.

"In the Ghetto" is one of my favourite Elvis songs, and the "Abbey Road" crossing Beatles photo is one of the images I think of when I think of the Beatles, so again .. meaningful.

I'm not entirely sure why I included the HMAS Melbourne collision.

ARPANET and Unix are both very significant to me, of course.

Perhaps I should have included Golda Meir, first female PM of Israel (IIRC), who was also 1969. Dunno.

Anyway.. compare my list to Wikipedia, and you might get an idea of which things developed into things that a child growing up in the 1970s became aware of.

EG: Gadaffi and Nixon and the Irish Troubles all were things I heard about in the news a lot. Golda Meir wasn't.
                    Seshat's self-help guide:
                    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Happy Birthday, Seshat. Hope it's a wonderful day with lots of fun stuff.
                      Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

I'm not sure they'd invented time yet when I was born...
                        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Happy Birthday!!!
                          1969 is one of those years that is filled with so much noteable history!
                          Obviously a time when there was a lot of spark in the air fueling movement
                          and innovation. Including Seshat!

Comment

If nothing else, 1969 has the best soundtrack.

Comment

Great idea for a book! " '69, An Oral History". ;-)

Comment

Working...
                              X