X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Superman Trailer

oh god not again.

OK look I like superman, in the comics and the cartoon he is actually a well written fully rounded character. On TV and in the movies lately he is BORING and the storyline is honestly a soap opera. So I saw the trailer for Man of Steel and it was basically him as a kid wearing a red cape, him hitchhiking and him flying. Can we please, please, please, please, please, please, please have Superman FIGHT someone. he has so many villains to choose from that honestly do we need to see lex luthor with another scheme? hell in Smallville the only decent fights were him versus zod and one of those was with lex and the other neither had powers. I mean Bizarro in one punch? Doomsday with one tackle? Darkseid with just flying through him? new gods of apokolips with one arrow each at once really?

Here's what I want from a superman movie:
    1. Skip the origin story, completely everybody knows who he is and where he's from.
    2. we've had enough lex to last the next 10 years.
    3. just have him be with Lois, it worked great in both superman doomssday and superman vs the elite (best superman movie ever)
    4. devote at least 5 minutes to him fighting something, something strong without kryptonite
    5. skip kryptonite all it ever was was a plot device to weaken him to make weaker threats credible
    6. have superman get angry

It's really not that hard to do, and honestly superman vs the elite is so good and they actually do all of this.
    Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
    Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Well, not skip kryptonite etirely. But yes, they need a whole new storyline. I'm sick of seeing the same boring stuff.

Comment

Quoth gremcint View Post
      Here's what I want from a superman movie:
      3. just have him be with Lois, it worked great in both superman doomssday and superman vs the elite (best superman movie ever)
      I invite your attention to a short essay written by Larry Niven titled Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex. Here's a link to the Wikipedia article about the essay- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_of_...man_of_Kleenex.
      You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

yeah you know what he can fly, burn things with his eyes and hear stuff on the moon I'm willing to buy he can control his strength especially since in lois clark they get together, in the two animated movies they get together and they were married in the comics. Besides it's a superhero movie logic is not required.
        Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
        Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

Here is what I want from a Superman movie...all the things in the OP are good..but there is something I would have to add. A vulnerable Superman. Here is what I mean.

Superman is 'above it all' basically. Short of Kryptonite or something similar he is not really relateable to the average person. Invulnerable, stronger/faster/etc then even the strongest/fastest/etc humans could even dream of being, flight, other powers. I want a Superman that has issues. Facing when he couldn't save somebody, puts somebody in danger doing something..especially if that somebody was a child. I want to see him fail, doubt himself, and come back from it. Facing HUMAN issues, not just fighting the latest 'godlike' being. I want to see him need HELP, even if it is fighting the latest godlike being. Where HUMANS rally to his side, and he needs their help to WIN. That .. that would be a Superman movie that I would love to see.
          Last edited by Mytical; 07-21-2012, 06:53 PM.
          Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth Kittish View Post
            I invite your attention to a short essay written by Larry Niven titled Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex. Here's a link to the Wikipedia article about the essay- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_of_...man_of_Kleenex.
            That...is hilarious. But he missed something. It was earth's yellow sun that made Superman super-powered. All they'd have to do is go to a planet with a different-colored sun (red, I presume...and yes, I know the science behind this fails miserably, but hey, it's a comic book).

They'd need a ship to get off again, of course, because without the yellow-sun-induced superpowers, he couldn't fly. Details, details.
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
              That...is hilarious. But he missed something. It was earth's yellow sun that made Superman super-powered. All they'd have to do is go to a planet with a different-colored sun (red, I presume...and yes, I know the science behind this fails miserably, but hey, it's a comic book).
              IIRC, in the backstory Krypton was the planet between Mars and Jupiter (broke up into the asteroid belt), so it would have been exposed to the same solar spectrum as Earth, just at a lower intensity. Why didn't everyone on Krypton have super powers? Also, why don't his powers fade at night?
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Since Krypton had a red sun, I do not think it was in this solar system. Not sure why he would keep his power at night, but I expect it is like a solar battery..stores it up. I remember several times he had to 'repower' (because he was hurt, sick, etc) so he flew up past the clouds and got more direct sun light..so *shrugs*
                Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

He's actually flown up to the sun to supercharge, too.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I haven't read comic books for years, but what I recall is that anyone who survived the destruction of Krypton would have super-powers if exposed to earth's yellow sun. That included Superman and Supergirl, I'm not sure who else. I assumed it was permanent as long as he was on this planet, don't remember the question of what happens at night ever coming up.

Wasn't there a city from Krypton that had been somehow miniaturized? And Superman kept it in the Fortress of Solitude or somewhere else safe? Anyone remember the name of it?
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Kandor (spelling?) I believe. And yes it is not the light that does it, it is the sun's rays..so actually anywhere in our solar system he would have the powers. Even on the dark side of pluto. The rays are there even when the light is not.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                        IIRC, in the backstory Krypton was the planet between Mars and Jupiter (broke up into the asteroid belt), so it would have been exposed to the same solar spectrum as Earth, just at a lower intensity. Why didn't everyone on Krypton have super powers? Also, why don't his powers fade at night?
                        No, Krypton was always in another solar system, one with a red giant for a sun.

Anyone from Krypton who comes to Earth gains superpowers, once they are exposed to the different light waves from our yellow sun (G type star).

Quoth MoonCat View Post

They'd need a ship to get off again, of course, because without the yellow-sun-induced superpowers, he couldn't fly. Details, details.
                        Right, it's the light frequencies that give Kryptonians super powers. When in the light of a red giant such as their original star, Kryptonians are like normal humans and have no super powers. When exposed to the light of a yellow sun like ours, they gain powers. Jor-El knew this when he sent Superman here; Earth was a deliberate choice.

Whether or not Superman needs a space ship to get off the ground really depends on who is writing for him. In general, he can get into orbit on his own on Earth. If he goes to other planets, it depends on the sun that planet has (if it has one). It takes awhile for his powers to deplete away from Earth; he doesn't lose them all at once (and if he loses them at all really depends on who is doing the writing).

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                        He's actually flown up to the sun to supercharge, too.

^-.-^
                        In the 1 Million story line, he actually moves the Fortress of Solitude into the Sun after the death of Lois Lane (from natural causes) and lives there for eons alone.

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                        I haven't read comic books for years, but what I recall is that anyone who survived the destruction of Krypton would have super-powers if exposed to earth's yellow sun. That included Superman and Supergirl, I'm not sure who else. I assumed it was permanent as long as he was on this planet, don't remember the question of what happens at night ever coming up.

Wasn't there a city from Krypton that had been somehow miniaturized? And Superman kept it in the Fortress of Solitude or somewhere else safe? Anyone remember the name of it?
                        Correct! Superman, Supergirl, General Zod, and Ursa. Jor-el in some story lines makes a visit. Kara (Power Girl) depending on which version of her origin story you believe (it changes frequently). However, all Kryptonians need regular exposure to the yellow sun to maintain their powers; if they lose it, they lose the powers. However, they don't lose them right away. Night time has never been an issue for any Kryptonian, and the mega battle in Superman II where Superman and Zod fight at the Daily Planet occurs at night.

Quoth Mytical View Post
                        Kandor (spelling?) I believe. And yes it is not the light that does it, it is the sun's rays..so actually anywhere in our solar system he would have the powers. Even on the dark side of pluto. The rays are there even when the light is not.
                        Yes, the Bottle City of Kandor. Braniac miniaturized it, Superman recovered it and keeps it in the Fortress of Solitude.

There is a race of related beings to Kryptonians who have the same powers Superman does, but don't rely on a yellow sun: the Daxamites. They're usually seen in Legion of Superhero stories; Mon-El is a member of the Legion.

Since the last Superman Movie included a Lex Luthor story that clearly played off the Christopher Reeve stories, I'd prefer not to see Lex or at least see him done in a more sinister and suave role (similar to how he was done in the Animated Series).

I'd like to see them explore his relationship with Lois, and with the human people he interacts with. To me that makes a great Superman story; it's about how he relates to being what he is while raised in a world with different values from the one he was born in.

General Zod has been done. Lex has been done to death. Darkseid has been done (and would be waaaay too much for a first movie anyway).

I'd like to see them do Brainiac in a credible way. Most of his other villains are one trick ponies with no staying power.

I did see the trailer: it does seem like they are going to explore the issue of power and what it means. That's the essence of who Superman is, so could be good. We'll have to see.
                        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

The bottled city of Kandor. See Superman is a Dick.

It probably won't happen, but I'd like to see the Darksied story line. It was epic in the cartoon.
                          eTA: when was Darksied done in film? I stopped watching Smallville before these guys started to show up.
                          Last edited by violiavampyr; 07-25-2012, 02:21 AM.

Comment

I'd love to see that link destination, but the advertising covers half the page. >_<

^-.-^
                            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

This one should work. http://superdickery.com/index.php?vi...tent&Itemid=24

Comment

Working...
                              X