Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another cat-shaped hole in the (physical) universe...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another cat-shaped hole in the (physical) universe...

Murphy passed away on Wednesday.

He basically stopped eating on Monday; we were giving him Nutrical, then he stopped doing much of anything and we noticed rapid weight loss and very little urine in the box. Took him into the vet on Wednesday AM; when I picked him up to go into his "man cave" I could feel literally every bone in his body. He was stable, but the vet said that based on his weight loss (one pound in about three months; he weighed barely five pounds), severe kidney atrophy, a very recent mass on his thyroid and progression of his dental disease (abcesses at the least) euthanasia was the best option. There was no point in keeping him alive if it would only result in more stress all around.

We all gave each other three great years; not everything was perfect, but nothing is for cats. Nobody really knew how old he was, and the reason we got him was that the previous owner's family basically left him to die (no medical care beyond the minimum; once the owner went into hospice they left him in the apartment and ignored vet instructions for care). Everything we didn't know about just caught up with him.

Murf, Smudge, Floops, whatever name you're going by today, know you will be missed. Find a one-eyed white cat with catchers-mitt feet and ginger markings and be sure to let him know how much fun you had with us. May you frolic healthy and get all the turkey, salmon, treats and sun you could ever want and then some.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

awwww *offers hugs, cookies, and a shoulder to cry on*
    ACNL Dream Address: 5300-6013-1370

Comment

You will be rewarded in Cat Heaven.
      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Hugs and headbonks from me and Pookah.

Amazing how big a hole they leave, isn't it? No matter how long they owned you. (What? We don't own them, you know . . .)

Comment

I remember when I would petsit him and his 'brother' Tyler five or so years ago. Murphy was a giant gorgeous ball of fluff that a friend claimed hated being petted on his sides (and of course upon hearing her say this he let me and only me do it every time I would see them).

After we took him in the first time to nurse back to health, his favorite way to be held was over a shoulder--which was interesting because before that time, he hated being picked up even slightly off the floor.

Comment

Clearly you were his true guardian, and you gave him life he would not have otherwise had. So sorry you lost him so soon ((hugs)).
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I'm so sorry for your loss. Furbabies (cat or dog) have a hold on our hearts that no other creature in the universe (including humans) can.

Comment

Quoth Teefies2 View Post
                I'm so sorry for your loss. Furbabies (cat or dog) have a hold on our hearts that no other creature in the universe (including humans) can.
                I believe there is two reasons for this. One they have their priorities straight. If they are warm, safe, fed, and loved.. that is all they need. Two, they love unconditionally when they do love. Humans always come with some strings attached (maybe not many, and not very serious strings..but strings none the less). Humans could learn a lot from furbabies.
                Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

I'm so sorry, Dreamstalker. *hugs*
                  "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Hugs and headbonks from me and my two furbabies. I have many paw prints on my heart and still cannot imagine a life without furbabies.

Comment

*hugs you lots*
                      1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
                      -----
                      http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
                        If they are warm, safe, fed, and loved.. that is all they need. Two, they love unconditionally when they do love. Humans always come with some strings attached (maybe not many, and not very serious strings..but strings none the less). Humans could learn a lot from furbabies.
                        I'd always felt that animals make far more sense to me than people. All our four-legged owners that I can recall were from shelters or literally just showed up one day. Mostly cats, but the one dog we had when I was a wee pup was an Irish setter who was crazy protective of me--mom could put the two of us out in the front yard for hours and know that I'd be safe (and to come running if he even started to bark).

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
                          I believe there is two reasons for this. One they have their priorities straight. If they are warm, safe, fed, and loved.. that is all they need. Two, they love unconditionally when they do love. Humans always come with some strings attached (maybe not many, and not very serious strings..but strings none the less). Humans could learn a lot from furbabies.
                          Well said. They ask so little and give us so much.

"If all the beasts were gone, men would die from a great loneliness of spirit...."

-- Chief Seattle
                          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                          My LiveJournal
                          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
                          X