Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I prefer getting my own groceries despite my hatred of fellow shoppers. I need mah exercise. Carrying those heavy bags up and down the stairs is some damn good exercise.
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
      I prefer getting my own groceries despite my hatred of fellow shoppers. I need mah exercise. Carrying those heavy bags up and down the stairs is some damn good exercise.
      Oh trust me I would too.....but without a car I don't have a choice right now.
      https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
      Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
        Oh trust me I would too.....but without a car I don't have a choice right now.
        I bike and bus wherever I need to be. I need to get a basket for my bike so i can chuck groceries in there.
        Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Quoth Whiskey View Post
          I bike and bus wherever I need to be. I need to get a basket for my bike so i can chuck groceries in there.
          That would work great if it I wasn't shopping for a household of 4 sometimes 5 I have to get a lot of groceries every week.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
            I just realized I spend wayyyy too much time here. I read "pavement" and automatically pictured concrete. I've started to use other britishisms in my everyday speech, too.
            I've been doing that since waaaaaay before being on here! I tend to use a lot of Scots, too, much to the confusion of some of my co-workers!
            It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Didn't Joni Mitchell write a song on the original topic?

In France They Piss On Main Street
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Whiskey View Post
                I bike and bus wherever I need to be. I need to get a basket trailer for my bike so i can chuck groceries in there.
                FTFY. telecom_goddess, if you're shopping for four with weekly excursions you'd be able to fit everything in there. Well... depending on how much you need at once. I get produce from market and dry goods from the baking supply store, so my grocery shopping is less bulky. I never need to buy flour at the grocery store for example.

Comment

Quoth Magpie View Post
                  FTFY. telecom_goddess, if you're shopping for four with weekly excursions you'd be able to fit everything in there. Well... depending on how much you need at once. I get produce from market and dry goods from the baking supply store, so my grocery shopping is less bulky. I never need to buy flour at the grocery store for example.

I like the change to trailer on the bike that was cute. I generally have to get a standard shopping cart pretty full...some weeks are bulkier than others depending on what I need. Actually it's a moot point I don't own a bike at this point in time. Until we get another car I'm basically stuck. If it was just me or just me and my boyfriend it would be way easier. Maybe.

Comment

Where I work we have shop front glass windows, but as we're an office not a shop (and an office that requires some degree of confidentiality) we have that film that turns it into mirror glass. We have a front door that is clearly marked as ours, two mirrored glass shop fronts, then a "back" door which isn't obviously belonging to our organisation (and which we share with other organisations).

So one day I am standing at this back door with 2 co-workers. We've just come back from lunch and one of the other's is a smoker so we're chatting while she smokes before returning to work. All 3 of us are female.

I'm looking the other way down the street to the other 2 - and I see this man weaving down the road.

He passes us, stops less than a meter down from us. And urinates on our window.

We didn't even say anything to him. He was so obviously not all there - and even if he didn't get angry we didn't want him to, say, turn and try and talk to us...

Luckily none of the people in the office were looking out.

I've just moved into this area too...

Quoth Magpie View Post
                    You only wish you had them until someone calls you up trying to get you to switch, and tries to convince you that it's just a cheap and then you don't have to shop. (FTR, it's only just as cheap if you're rich, you have to normally buy name brands for it to not cost more. It's like how Sobey's is cheaper/no more expensive. And what's this about not having to shop? Yes, sometimes it's nice, but then I'd never see the discount rack, never make impulse cookie buys and never find out that there's a new brand of soy frozen dessert on the market.)
                    It doesn't cost more here. You do pay a delivery charge which has been between around £3.50 and £6 when I've done it. But you save time, and petrol/travel costs. I don't drive and I can normally save enough on multibuys I couldn't carry (like cat food and 2 litre bottles of soft drink) to make back the delivery charge. They'll even carry it into the kitchen. Plus I can buy icecream in summer - the trucks have freezers, and if you travel by bus they'll melt if you buy them yourself.

LOVE home grocery delivery.

Victoria J

Comment

Telecom_goddess, I can't comment, as I don't know which size of cart is actually standard (and by "don't know, I mean "don't remember because the local store has three sizes, which I believe are all non-standard), and what level you consider "full". I think the main limit is that you're not supposed to put more than 50kg in the trailer at once. Given that I have no kids in it (it's a kiddie trailer, so it probably holds less than a normal one) I have about as much space as you would if you were trying to use the trunk of a normal car. Which, I am aware, is sometimes not enough for shopping.

Quoth Victoria J View Post
                      It doesn't cost more here. You do pay a delivery charge which has been between around £3.50 and £6 when I've done it.
                      Actually I think that here it's not even that you're paying more - I think that the delivery charge is eaten by the company through discounts they got from promising one of the chains their business. But they have limits on what you can buy. GroceryGateway is the only one I know, and they work with Longos. Longos doesn't even have a store brand, so I'd be forced to buy brand name products. I a) don't know what brand names are actually worth spending money on and b) refuse to spend extra for the same or lower quality.

Comment

Quoth Magpie View Post
                        Actually I think that here it's not even that you're paying more - I think that the delivery charge is eaten by the company through discounts they got from promising one of the chains their business. But they have limits on what you can buy. GroceryGateway is the only one I know, and they work with Longos. Longos doesn't even have a store brand, so I'd be forced to buy brand name products. I a) don't know what brand names are actually worth spending money on and b) refuse to spend extra for the same or lower quality.
                        Here they seem to do everything the supermarket does - the value brands, fresh fruit and bakery items and everything.

What you can't get is the extra stuff that the shops have been expanding into selling. I normally use Tesco's (not particularly recommending it - I live by a large one and therefore get a good selection online too). If I go to the shop they have clothes, and electronics etc. Online those are separate websites with separate delivery charges.

Which I like as it is less distracting and less expensive. Though I do have problems with amounts sometimes, I forget to stop and look and think about packet size and sometimes end up with ridiculously huge or tiny amounts of something or other.

You do less impulse buying - but also aren't limited by how much you can carry.

You can't check the best before dates.

Victoria J

Comment

Quoth Victoria J View Post
                          You can't check the best before dates.
                          Or the quality of fresh produce. I'm fussy about my fruit & veg, & if I've got to go out to buy them, I might as well buy the rest too. I just with the fantastic farm shop (not a brand - a shop attached to a farm) was nearer They do some of the nicest eggs & veg I've seen in a long time - without the large mark-up you get at the greengrocers (as opposed to the tasteless stuff you get at the supermarket).
                          "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
                            Or the quality of fresh produce. I'm fussy about my fruit & veg, & if I've got to go out to buy them, I might as well buy the rest too. I just with the fantastic farm shop (not a brand - a shop attached to a farm) was nearer They do some of the nicest eggs & veg I've seen in a long time - without the large mark-up you get at the greengrocers (as opposed to the tasteless stuff you get at the supermarket).
                            I've got it easy there. I just walk across the street to Sunflower. They've got great produce. And if I'd just get my happy ass on my bike, I could take myself a couple miles up the road to the Corrales Grower's Market on Sunday mornings.
                            It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
                              Is there such a thing as a "public urination" fine in the UK?

Around here, it costs $218.00 if you get caught peeing on the streets/sidewalk.
                              Actually - believe it or not - in the UK a man may perfectly legally relieve himself in public, BUT he must aim at the rear wheel of his vehicle and keep his right hand placed upon the vehicle for the duration (why right hand? don't know!)

A pregnant woman in the UK, however, has the right to pee anywhere and at any time she chooses, even - get this folks! - in a police officers helmet, if she so requests....
                              Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Quoth Marmalady View Post
                                Actually - believe it or not - in the UK a man may perfectly legally relieve himself in public, BUT he must aim at the rear wheel of his vehicle and keep his right hand placed upon the vehicle for the duration (why right hand? don't know!)
                                I know that a cab driver in Copenhagen are allowed to relieve himself on the left rear wheel while covering himself with the door (not very sanitary for the passengers, especially not if it's storming). This is a rule from the time when cabs was drawn by horses but it is there still.

Comment

Working...
                                X