This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Busted another store for fraud

This one's an oldie. It comes from my hobby shop days.

Since I haven't posted any stories from then in a while, I'll give a little brief background. My store specialized mostly in HO & N scale railroading and plastic model kits. We did NOT do much R/C (and nothing at all for R/C cars). There were, however, two other hobby shops local to us that DID specialize in R/C. In fact, one of the two we had a very amicable relationship with and we would frequently refer customers to either other.

The other one....not so much. The owner of that shop was something of a sleazebag. Now, in the hobby industry - at least at the time - very few manufacturers sold directly do retailers; they only sold to distributors. And even if they did sell direct to retailers, the retailer would have to pay the same price they would at a distributor.

So the sleazebag owner of the competing shop decided to try and fool a certain Japanese company into believing that he was a distributor so he could cut out the middle man and get his products for less money while marking them up to full retail price of course.

Fraud, anyone?

Ultimately, he did himself in by claiming that MY store was one of his "customers." What he didn't count on was the account rep calling us to confirm, only to be told that not only was this guy NOT one of our distributors, but we didn't even deal in their R/C products! Our owner also told them he was a retail outfit and NOT a distributor, which got the scammer's account closed.

This of course meant we were assholes. It actually got to the point that if we referred anyone there, we'd have to warn them not to say we sent them LEST THEY BE THROWN OUT!!!!

My uncle - who helps manager the store I used to work at - is actually BANNED from this other store whenever the owner is in, simply because he has a grudge against our owner for ratting him out.

Honestly, the guy should grow up and be thankful [Japanese Company] didn't file suit
    Last edited by Dave1982; 10-25-2010, 10:30 PM.
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

I find in many situations that people get mad when they get called out. The mature thing to do is acknowledge your fault and change it. Lot of grown children walking around out there.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

true, people always seem to be the most angry at being caught.
      It's a tough row to hoe, and I'm just the Joe to hoe it.

Comment

Why are you still referring people to that fraudulent store?

Comment

Because they were the only store in the area to get certain stuff, and we were trying to demonstrate to them that we held no hard feelings towards them?

I dunno for sure actually.......this all happened a number of years ago.
          "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
            I dunno for sure actually.......this all happened a number of years ago.
            Ah yes... back before Google and eBay and Amazon and other internet sales. Back when sometimes the only way to get something was to make a trek to a physical store, speak to another living being, and then -- if they actually had it in stock! -- skip happily home with your new toy.

{hugs computer and thinks happy thoughts about PayPal and wireless internet connections} I'm so glad I don't have to do that anymore.
            Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Working...
            X